Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 11 of 159 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss "The Virtual DWT Gym" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I took the actual link out of my message because after I finished the thread, I was uncertain that it was acceptable to put the link in. Anyone else who ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I took the actual link out of my message because after I finished the thread, I was uncertain that it was acceptable to put the link in. Anyone else who wants to see the results of the competition are welcome to send me a PM for the link.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Before I forget again, Dumbogal--if you're still lurking here, I've made it a point to try Bikram yoga as soon as I'm back home again. Last week, I was in a course downtown where a lovely Indian gal was manning the front desk (amazingly enough, she seemed to like talking to me!). At any rate, on the second day I was there, she looked absolutely beat. I asked what it was that took the spring out of her step that morning. Answer was, she attempted that form of yoga the night before at a place downtown. She reported that she was utterly drained, and that the whole thing was more or less a zen big-man contest--who wanted to hold out the longest?

I proceeded to go out and get her a double mocha Ralph Macchiatto thingee to help her make it to the end of the shift. Fully aware of what a physical creature she was, I had the "barista" make hers with skim milk. Fortunately, she had also seen Napoleon Dynamite, so when I used that akward line; "I see you're drinking skim milk.....is that because you think you're fat...?? 'Cuz like, you could drink whole if you wanted to...." she genuinely laughed. (The boy was on fire that morning.)

Okay, done digressing with my hopeless romantic exploits--Bikram yoga. I'll try to get around to it as soon as I'm back in town. We'll see if I ammend my thoughts on yoga any after that experience.

Mini-v, please don't be shy about your thoughts on giving the Power Plates a whirl. Maybe, just maybe, this inventor is onto something. And if you wouldn't mind PMing the link to the bodybuilding competition, I'd be glad to take a look.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Daily report....I started with the GM stretches, then some punch presses, lunges and finished with the swing, which was a lot easier today, I did 10, 20, 30 and then up again and had no problems finishing.

Now I can't remember if I should start with the swing or if I should do other things first. Had a hard time with the lunges, maybe once the soreness goes away it'll get easier. I got through it all pretty quick. That was about a half hour ago and my arms and legs feel like I'm still flexing, also I'm not as out of breath as I was yesterday.

I have a few questions, first, is the power breathing useful at all, what can I get out of it?

Second, what can I do to target the hip and saddle area?

The swing, as well as the other high-rep ballistic drills can be done pretty much whenever you feel like it. You really can't ask for a more flexible routine than what Pavel lays out in the guidelines at the end of the book. Do as many or as few drills each training session as you would like, as long as you don't exercise one "pet lift" at the expense of everything else. All you need to remember is to always perform the slow "grind" drills like military presses before doing anything for high reps/cardio (tackle the strength work as fresh as possible, otherwise the kettlebell will win).

On that note, the "power breathing" is useful in teaching you how to contract your stomach to aid in total body tension, which is useful in so many areas, including enabling you to lift heavier weights as well as work your abdominal muscles in just about everything you do with the 'bells. Also, if you're going to be hacking the special crunch from the program, you'd better have your act together with power breathing and the right tension, or it just isn't gonna happen. I understand if you may feel a bit silly practicing this one, but just learn to take it in stride. As a well-known quarterback (name eludes me at the moment) is quoted as saying; "If anyone were to laugh at me for training in ballet during the off-season, I'd stomp them and do a pirouette on their face." I truly applaud the sentiment.

As far as specifically targeting an area goes, here's hoping you've read up on my thoughts on the weightlifting myth of "isolating" the muscle before (Bueller....? Bueller......?? Bueller......???). At any rate, for the inner thighs and hips, just about everything with kettlebells falls back on these--swings, snatches, the clean and jerk......they all require hips and legs in order to make it happen. Try to focus more on contracting these muscle groups, as well as the stomach and glutes when practicing your swings. Let the arms relax as much as possible--as I used to tell the new guys at the KB circle; think of your arms as nothing more than a chain on a wrecking ball. Let your hips and thighs be the engine that drives it.

It may also be that I've underestimated you, Caroline. You may be able to sling the next size up. In the meantime, if the two-armed version becomes too easy, try keeping your shoulders squared off, and slinging the 'bell with just one arm. Dynamically passing the KB from hand to hand at the top of the motion is a lot of fun, too, although I do recommend that you do that one outside, or in some other place where you would have no reservations about dropping it (heh, heh--they do leave some cool craters in the lawn, much to the chagrin of mom when I paid her place a visit last. She's cool with it now that I've got her into The Party, too--after 35 years on her feet in the operating room, they've fixed up her back).

Summing up, the most important thing is that you ARE doing them. Just remember that being flexible and going as the spirit moves you is totally okay with KBs. Can't say that about too many fitness regimines out there these days.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 05-19-2006 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Typos...why'd it HAVE to be typos...?
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Wow, today was a lot tougher for some reason, not sure if it's lack of sleep or dehydration but I had to top the swing at 26. Did a few other things before that, I'm trying new things from Lisa's book every day to see which ones I like doing, which ones are easy and which ones I have to work on.

I haven't tried anything that involves lifting the 'bell over my head or with just one arm, I don't think you've underestimated me, I could do it with two arms but with one, that thing is heavy! I'm going to work my way up to the military press, I don't think I'm ready for that just yet.

Thanks for the tips and the encouragement!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    So i was pretty good in my workout today. I did a 20 workout, i even got in some weights. As well as some round house kicks and side thrust kicks. Whew! I'm tired now. I didn't get my jump rope in, maybe later. I think.

Thanks for all your tips as always.....
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

Dehydration and not getting the recommended daily allowance of vitamin ZZZ can both definitely affect your performance. Kinda loathed to say it, since I really do enjoy our bantering in this place after regular business hours, so to speak, but we've got to give some more thought to getting you some extra quality sacktime. With you hitting the iron this hard, you're gonna need it, anyway.

For keeping yourself hydrated, stick to water, and try to keep the coffee and sodas limited--let's say no more than one or two cups a day (if you find yourself needing more than that to get through the day, we've definitely got to make more time for sleep). Caffeine drinks can boost your energy for exercise, but they're also major league diuretics. They dry you out at a much faster rate than you could do all by your onesies. If you're a fan of Gatorade or other sports drink, you may want to consider mixing it with equal parts water; a half-and-half deal. Straight thirst quenchers tend to be very hard for the body to process, especially in the heat of putting out in during a workout. The watered-down version is so much easier to take in.

Watch the color of the urine--if you're staying in the clear, it's a good indication that you're staying as hydrated as you need to be.

Now, while I'm thinking about it, caffeine drinks can indeed boost the athletic output of most folks. The British army found that nearly all of their troopers turned in higher than their average scores in all categories on a fitness test an hour or so after consuming a strong cup of java; from "press-ups" to the run. Once upon a time, there was a gal I was giving some extra coaching to for her upcoming fitness assessment, and she took it upon herself to indulge in some Starbucks beforehand. She went on to turn in her best score of all time for sit-ups in two minutes. One thing though--coffee does have a tendency to upset the stomach for some folks (her included. While she was turning in that personal best score, she also turned in the command record for most accidental farts in two minutes........). I've found that green tea works pretty much to the same effect, and tends to be much easier on the guts. Not to mention, green tea is reported to be wonderful all-around stuff to be drinking in the first place.

Roundhouse and side thrust kicks, Deb? Tae Kwon Do night?

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape
    Roundhouse and side thrust kicks, Deb? Tae Kwon Do night?
    he hee. yeah you could say Tae Kwon Do night, although i'm not really into all the karate stuff, but some techniques have rubbed off on me. Including the round house, side thrust, front snap and my personal favorite the 'WAAAA'. As well as the clink of the bag hanging from the beams in the basement.. So i just stick to my little minor workout, jumping rope and add in those kicks for fun... Let me tell you this though. If you don't know what you are doing (like me), please don't try the breaking board routine... let's just say, my hand throbbed for 2 weeks after i insisted to try it, hey come on my man Bruce Lee did it...
    Last edited by butlers; 05-21-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Cut down on coffee? Blasphemy! I love coffee! I do have to up my water consumption, that's for sure. As far as getting more ZZZZs, maybe I would get more if my personal trainer would log in or call a little earlier? Darned time zones...

I've been working out upstairs in front of mirrored closet doors, that way I can see if I'm doing stuff right. Coming down the stairs afterwards is a challenge, my arms and legs are stiff for a while once I'm done.

I tried lifting the kb over my head with one arm, not happening so much. Maybe I'll try a two hand military press, I just found it in Pavel's book. I also tried the one arm swing once I was done my two arm reps, it IS fun and I didn't drop it once! I think I'll add that to my routine...

I've found that green tea works pretty much to the same effect, and tends to be much easier on the guts. Not to mention, green tea is reported to be wonderful all-around stuff to be drinking in the first place.
    And speaking of green tea. I do have myself a cup of green tea everyday. I like the tazo - zen green tea blend - has a spearmint and lemony flavor.. good stuff.

Just checking in to make sure our trainer doesn't think I slacked off since he's not around...

Tried the military press with two arms...challenging to say the least, I need to work on that one. Not sure I'm doing it right. I think I may be the first person to succeed in boinking herself in the head with the kb, it hasn't happened yet but give me time...

Did all my swings and when I was done, although winded, was enjoying my new work out playlist so much that I danced like nobody was watching for 3 songs. So it didn't take as much out of me this time and the soreness seems to be going away.

Out of curiousity, Deb--any idea what sort of material you were breaking, or attempting to break (in the sense of boards or bricks, rather than hands or feet).

Caroline, I have yet to see anyone drop the 'bell on their noggin, and I've got more than a hunch you're not going to be my first, either. As Pavel explains, if at any time the KB is over your head and you feel you're about to lose control, let it go, and move out of the way. Just watch out for those rubber-coated 18-pounders, though--on hard surfaces, they can bounce to some pretty impressive heights and slug the user in a tender location (haven't seen it actually happen, but there have been a few close calls). This is much less of an issue if you train on grass or in sand, if you have it available.

As far as training in front of a mirror goes, do whatever helps you see the whole picture for now, but as you progress and become more and more confident in your technique, try to sort of wean yourself off of the "vain distraction," as Pavel calls our reflective surfaces. This is especially true for the slow, strength-building "grind" exercises, like the military press or the deadlift. In fact, Comrade Pavel actually recommends practicing drills such as these blindfolded every once in a while. Without going too far off into La-La Land and risk having any readers here think that I'm about to expound on fairies and unicorns, this sort of training does indeed build your awareness; both in your surroundings and in how to properly get the job done.

Now, as far as little things to help you slay the dragon that is the one-armed military press, remember the "power breathing" you had asked about? Put it to use as you press. From the cleaned and ready position, take in about 70% or so of the air you can hold (not just the lungs, either--breathe with the diaphram and pull it into your abdomen, too), then hold and compress that air inside (tight, strong abs) as you push up. Squeeze the handle as you do so as though you're trying to turn it into pulp. Clench your glutes as though you're trying to pinch something between them (sounds goofy as all get-out, but just do it), curl and dig your toes into the carpet (it pays to train with KBs barefoot), and with your free hand, make a white knuckle fist. All these little tension-generators add up to boost your strength for the task at hand. Once more, this is not "cheating," this is cheering your muscles. One good example of this kind of practice in action would be any arm wrestler worth his salt. A table master who knows what he's doing will not wait until the ref calls go to get tight; he'd better already be tense and ready to bend the other guy's arm right to the counter (happens all the time--some bodybuilder type gets pinned in seconds by a guy with pipes half his size. As Pavel once pointed out, the usual face saving trick is to claim "Eh, this is all just technique." Yeah, and so is the bench press. You generally don't hear people claiming "He's not really fast, he just has good technique," or "He's not really that great of a marksman, he just has good technique." Spare me).

Caroline, I know that's quite a list of little things to remember to put into effect, but stick with it. The more you practice, the more these little things will make sense and be more easily remembered; right up to the point where it just becomes muscular memory. No thought, no extra concentration required. This will also carry over into more mundane feats of strength, as well--lifting kids, loading groceries into or out of the car, that sort of thing.

Keeping all this in mind, go try that military press again one more time for me?

Out of curiousity, Deb--any idea what sort of material you were breaking, or attempting to break (in the sense of boards or bricks, rather than hands or feet).
    nope.. just my hand.. and bricks, yeah right... i'm crazy, not that crazy though... Are you asking what type of material the boards were made out of... Well If that's what you are asking, i do know that it was the kind that the martial artist use to break boards.. But since i didn't do it correctly, i just go a huge sting that shot all the way up my arm...

Hello to my fellow Gym members!

I added the clean to my routine today, first with two arms, then one.

Tried the clean and press and managed to do two with my right arm, third one was waaaay too wobbly. I watched the DVD again and I refer to the books often to make sure I'm doing things right.

So what's a good gauge to know that you're pushing yourself enough or doing enough reps? I'm not sure I'm doing enough stuff.

I didn't slack off yesterday by the way, I just forgot to post in here...

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I must confess. I have not exercised since last Friday morning. That could be why I am not seeing enough results. Anyways, school is out tomorrow and actually I will have more of a relaxing routine teaching Summer School at the university. I will be up before anyone else so I can exercise in peace and quiet.

Page 11 of 159 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast