Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss "The Virtual DWT Gym" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; okay so i have a question... seriously so no err, no comments from grumpydude... i normally do all exercising at home, have quite a bit of work out things... As ...
    butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    okay so i have a question... seriously so no err, no comments from grumpydude... i normally do all exercising at home, have quite a bit of work out things... As far as arms, for my biceps and triceps, if i continue with the 8 lb weights will it get the job done...
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale
    I have a question for you two men. DO you have any advice on a great cardio workout. I use some of the machines at the gym I go to and do some of the group classes but I would like to try something new.. Any hints or tips?
    Indeed I do. Get a jump rope (and as a lady, a good sports bra to go with it). As a bonus, much like myself, a good jump rope is cheap and cruel (contrary to what the modern fitness industry is trying to tell us, developing a strong body does NOT require high-tech gadgets and pharmaceuticals. I've seen inmates who have built physiques you wouldn't believe who are kept locked up 23 hours a day in tiny cells with next to nothing for equipment on less than optimal diets). Nothing comes close to the sweet punishment these things can dish out to the heart, lungs and legs, as well as developing your hand/eye coordination and timing. It has been said on more than one occasion that 10 minutes on the rope is about the same benefit as half an hour of jogging. Well, if you look at it that way, you've saved yourself 20 minutes, and you've hammered yourself in a way you can't duplicate with anything else, including a good roadwork routine.

This, and once you've got the hang of it, jumping the rope is actually FUN, especially with some kickin' tunes filling your ears.

The best ropes for a beginner would be the segmented bead-variety they sell at sporting good stores, although the absolute best are the Olympic speed-variety (that's my brand) available at www.getfitnow.com . Just get yourself one, and take it out with a positive attitude. It's rough at first, but don't get frustrated. Just like a rodeo, you get knocked down, you get right back up again. In a week or two, you'll be jumping like Ali used to.

If you're game, the absolute best cardio training I've ever had has been with lumps of iron called "kettlebells" (I can already feel Lori's eyes rolling wetly up in their sockets). I'm turning this reply into something only slightly shorter than Jane's History of the Slingshot (Vol. II), so I will leave you with this-- www.russiankettlebells.com .

Suffice to say, I cannot say enough praise for these things. I've seen them time and time again work (for want of a better word) magic on the people under my care, and for myself as well. I can only lament that I didn't know about these things years ago.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Thank you so much Jake. That has helped a lot.. Don't worry about the long post. I enjoyed it and will put it to good use. Thanks again!!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape
    Indeed I do. Get a jump rope (and as a lady, a good sports bra to go with it). This, and once you've got the hang of it, jumping the rope is actually FUN, especially with some kickin' tunes filling your ears.
    If you're game, the absolute best cardio training I've ever had has been with lumps of iron called "kettlebells" (I can already feel Lori's eyes rolling wetly up in their sockets). I'm turning this reply into something only slightly shorter than Jane's History of the Slingshot (Vol. II), so I will leave you with this-- www.russiankettlebells.com .
    Jake, i am gonna try this as well, if ya don't mind jake and stacy... i do have to say, when i first started jumpin, i thought man this is gonna be a breeze, let's just say after i only lasted 5 minutes, my legs were so wobbly... now, i'm a pro woo hoo... and theirs that talk of those kettlebells, i was wondering how long it would be... thanks again my brotha...

Quote Originally Posted by butlers
    okay so i have a question... seriously so no err, no comments from grumpydude... i normally do all exercising at home, have quite a bit of work out things... As far as arms, for my biceps and triceps, if i continue with the 8 lb weights will it get the job done...
    Short answer--probably not.

Don't focus so much on isolating the arms (see my ramblings on "isolation" a page back if you're interested in my thoughts on the concept). My old years as a kid in the weight room have taught me a lot of things; one of the biggest lessons just from watching has been that the folks who worked the big muscle groups and used compound drills were getting the results, while dudes who spent all their time curling or extending looked as though they hardly worked out at all. If you hit the major stuff, the arms will get stronger and take care of themselves all on their own. And as I mentioned above, I have yet to find a better tool for this kind of work than the kettlebell. THE ultimate drill with these nightmares goes by the name of "The Snatch" (alright, peanut gallery; quit your chuckling--I really wish they'd named it something else). This thing hurts you so good inside and out, and leaves very, very few things unworked. As a matter of fact, this drill is what the Russian army and navy use instead of pushups on their fitness tests (the regular traditional pushup is actually a pretty useless drill, but I'll get into that later if anyone wants me to), and truly--it IS a better measure of fitness and stamina than the repetition pushup ever will be. If I could only do one kind of exercise for the rest of my life, it would be one-armed kettlebell snatches. It has to be experienced to be believed.

Hope that helps some. More than anything, the fact that you do something is what counts the most, so keep at it, girlfriend.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

"The Snatch" This thing hurts you so good inside and out, and leaves very, very few things unworked. so keep at it, girlfriend.
    Snatch huh, Jake... well um, hmm... i better keep my mouth shut... but you do know i want to say something don't you... but i'm not... hurts you so good inside and out... leaves very few things unworked... okay...
    BODY BY JAKE.. COOL... back to my topic... 8 lbs is not doing nothing for me... i guess it's a good thing i don't want to be all manly hard huh... thanks sweetie, for the good advice

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    eliptical (sp?) machines are good, to hit both legs and arms. personally i like stationary bikes, not only good cardio but very low impact and easy on the joints as well.
    I got an eliptical after I broke my ankle(6 years ago...pins and plate tib/fib) I seems to be easier than a treadmill on the joints, and I never really found a stationary bike(for a reasonable amout) that I was comfortable on (I'm 5'3'' and the arm parts were usually to far a reach).
    Right now I do 30min 4 times a week(at 5am).
    Maggie

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I don't believe the whole no pain-no gain theory. I don't like pain and stay far, far away from it. Yet I have had tremendous gains over the past 10 years. Like 2 to 3 pounds a year.
    Last edited by iwannabeminnie; 04-11-2006 at 07:46 PM.
    They call me "Nana"

8 lbs is not doing nothing for me... i guess it's a good thing i don't want to be all manly hard huh... thanks sweetie, for the good advice
    Very, very true, Debbie; and I wish to bury this line of BS here and now. May I have your attention please, everyone? Mindlessly banging out endless easy reps of anything is NOT going to get you any real results, no matter what your fitness goals. Any weightlifting regimine that calls for more than around 15 or so repetitions is A: a waste of time, and B: setting you up for over-use injuries. STAY AWAY FROM IT.

STAY AWAY FROM IT.
    okay okay got it.. that's it, not lifting anymore (smile), and BODY BY JAKE told me so... i better stick to that pilates then huh... see you tonight dude.

that's it, not lifting anymore (smile), and BODY BY JAKE told me so.
    Now, now--I never said that. I'm just strongly suggesting that you modify your program, that's all. If toning up is the goal, use a weight that will challenge you, but not so heavy that you can't move it. As a guideline, something you can handle 10-15 times without burning out, but forces you to change your facial expression to finish the last couple for 3-5 sets.

As Comrade Pavel would have said; "This is sound advice for everyone who lifts weights, and everyone should be lifting weights."

Alright now. Before I run off and get a life already (speaking for myself and not Todd, I'm afraid that I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this topic), please let me put to rest a few fears I've been reading in PMs of ladies who are concerned that weightlifting will cause them to bulk up to unattractive proportions.

Don't worry yourselves too much about this one. Large gains in muscle size are only achieved under the right conditions, and with heavy weight performed in low repetitions. Another key to appreciable muscle growth is the hormone testosterone, something that most gals don't readily have available in great supply (a depressing majority of the over-developed ladies of competitive bodybuilding are gooped up with all sorts of chemicals and assorted nonsense, so please get that out of your minds right now. While we're on the subject, surprise! Bodybuilders are rarely as strong as they look. I'll elaborate more on this if anyone is interested).

Ladies, up those irons.

Now, now--I never said that. I'm just strongly suggesting that you modify your program, that's all. If toning up is the goal, use a weight that will challenge you, but not so heavy that you can't move it. As a guideline, something you can handle 10-15 times without burning out, but forces you to change your facial expression to finish the last couple for 3-5 sets.

As Comrade Pavel would have said; "This is sound advice for everyone who lifts weights, and everyone should be lifting weights."
    got it.. thanks Jake... talk with ya later, man....

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Thanks Jake and GD! I feel fitter already. You are amazing. By just reading, I feel my glutus maximus muscles getting more in shape and my phalanges are enjoying the workout also.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    the one thing i want to mention, not to downplay Jake's advice......everyone's body is different and depending on what you want to accomplish the same thing does not work for everyone. if the same routine and method worked, there would be one exercise book out there for everyone to follow and maybe one magazine, and Jake and I would not be here discussing this stuff.

now, my routine, going for size and strength, i go roughly 6 - 8 weeks on, and 1 week off to rest and recoupe. have your plan set, and during the week off, evaluate your progress. if something is not working for you, move to something else. don't like the stationary bike, try the treadmill. keep experimenting until you find something that works, and most importantly, you enjoy, because if you enjoy it, you'll stick with it.

Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast