Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 159 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss "The Virtual DWT Gym" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; ok, not trying to be smart here, push the limits or anything, honest to goodness exercise suggestion....... need to tighten the buns? very easy exercise you can do all day ...
    GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    ok, not trying to be smart here, push the limits or anything, honest to goodness exercise suggestion.......

need to tighten the buns? very easy exercise you can do all day long.

while you are sitting, whether at the computer or in your car, tense the buttocks and hold for a 20 count, then release. you can do this throughout the day, and if you keep at it, you'll be amazed at the results.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    bottum clenching....got it
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    ok, not trying to be smart here, push the limits or anything, honest to goodness exercise suggestion.......

need to tighten the buns? very easy exercise you can do all day long.

while you are sitting, whether at the computer or in your car, tense the buttocks and hold for a 20 count, then release. you can do this throughout the day, and if you keep at it, you'll be amazed at the results.
    cool... i'll do that one more often too...
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

exercise, exercise, exercise
    Last edited by butlers; 04-12-2006 at 02:06 PM.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I am sure there are other reasons....never mind, I take that back - G FORUM, G FORUM.....must leave gym now!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    I am sure there are other reasons....never mind, I take that back - G FORUM, G FORUM.....must leave gym now!!!
    hahhaha....

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    I am sure there are other reasons
    yep... that to

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Greetings, patrons of the gym.

I see my business partner has shared his thoughts on abs-training and on the sit-up. As he sagely observed a page or two back, one set routine does not necessarily do the job equally well for two different people, so with this as my premise, here's my take on experience in the ab department.

Crunches are a waste of time, and belong on the junkpile of history, right next to communism.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'm not at all a fan of high-rep sit-ups if we're looking for 'getting results yesterday' (the kind of type-A personalities military bosses tend to be when they dump things in your lap). The absolute best version of the sit-up I've ever found is the Janda sit-up (pronounced "yawn-duh," and named after a Czech doctor who used it to treat chiropractic patients; Dr..........Situp). It is difficult to describe in type and make the process clear here, so I'm going to have to ask anyone interested in this one to do some Googling for homework on this one. Suffice to say, they are motherin' difficult, but as I've said before, if you want to build strength and definition, you have to focus on heavy resistance with low reps (the abdominals are a muscle just like any other in your body). But then again, if the coveted 'six-pack' belly is your goal, you can do any kind of ab drill until you're blue in the face and you won't see a thing in the mirror until we melt away our collective spare tires around the midsection.

If you're still with me here, my other favorite ab drill (I actually do relatively little abdominal-specific work--you'd be amazed what you can accomplish by focusing on that total-body tension I've mentioned earlier while performing compound exercises) is one of the most evil of its kind, and you had better have your act together while you're doing this (if you let yourself lose tension in your stomach while performing it, you're going to go from cool to tool in about 0.3 seconds). I've always known them as "drawbridges," although Comrade Pavel calls them "Dragontails," in honor of Bruce Lee, who was a big fan of these (frankly, as I told the guys I used to work, I don't particularly care if you call them "Jimbo," just do them). Hop onto a bench or a coffee table (don't let mom catch you) and lay out flat on your back lengthwise. Reach behind you and grasp the edge of the table behind you, underhanded, as if you were about to perform a horizontal chin-up. Now, kick both legs up into the air so that you're as vertical as you can be, all your weight on your shoulder blades. Now, very slowly, keep your gut tight, legs straight, and bring them down slowly, maintaining your weight on those shoulder blades. Legs lowering slowly, slowly, until they're more or less parallel to the deck, and nothing on the table but your head and shoulder blades. Now, raise those legs back up to square one (hard to picture? Your homework assignment is to head out to the local Blockbuster and rent Rocky IV. If you can't bring yourself to watch the film that ended the Cold War, skip ahead to the training montage. Stallone does these perfectly, as his coach mutters "No pain......no pain.......no pain" in his ear. Couldn't have said it better myself).

These are the two best abdominal-specific drills that I know. But again, focus on your total body tension during strength training, and you may be surprised at what you come up with. And as always, engage in some kind of activity that gets the heart rate up and the lungs working. Jumping rope, high-rep ballistic kettlebell drills and jogging are my holy trinity.

And no Dissy, I'm not a big fan of yoga. I'll look into the style you mentioned, but from the programs that I've seen, it just doesn't get the job done nor get the results the powers that be have been after from me, although I'm always looking for newer and better ways to do things (were this not so, I'd have never found kettlebells, and I'm still kicking myself for not knowing about them years ago).
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I think I like the idea of "no pain...no pain...no pain." But somehow I don't think I am thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape
    Hop onto a bench or a coffee table (don't let mom catch you) and lay out flat on your back lengthwise. Reach behind you and grasp the edge of the table behind you, underhanded, as if you were about to perform a horizontal chin-up. Now, kick both legs up into the air so that you're as vertical as you can be, all your weight on your shoulder blades. Now, very slowly, keep your gut tight, legs straight, and bring them down slowly, maintaining your weight on those shoulder blades. Legs lowering slowly, slowly, until they're more or less parallel to the deck, and nothing on the table but your head and shoulder blades.
    i know what you are talking about and um, i can barely hang with that 6 inch military crunch that you have to pull your legs up slowly hold then slowly lower without resting on the floor, and now you want me to do what...

Body by Jake, you give us so much information

Whoa. Thanks, I think...

Hans you just made me laugh out loud

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    First off, apologies to DissyLove and Dumbogal--I got a bit dyslexic and addressed the wrong person when asked about yoga. I just tend to regard it as a hobby or a supplementary pursuit rather than your primary means of training.

Now, for all the folks who are interested in toning up the butt, this one is actually a pretty simple fix--get on a first name basis with heavy deadlifts.

There's the short-short answer. For those of you with either no access to weights or no desire to enter a fitness center, please do yourself a favor and enter the local bookstore and get yourself a copy of The Naked Warrior, by Pavel. I know, I know--it sounds like a Harlequinn romance novel (some of them are actually pretty good), but it is the single best training guide for those of us who have nothing to work with but our own bodyweight, which is actually more than most of us can handle to begin with (handstand pushups, anyone?).

For the butt, the legs, and the abs, there is a wonderful drill that is a fave of the Russian army affectionately called "The Pistol." (I have no idea why, so don't ask. But it sure beats "The Snatch.") Simplified, it's a squat done with one leg. Stand straight up and down, arms out in front of you for balance, extend one leg out in front of you, keep your weight focused on the heel of your flat foot on the deck, and slowly lower yourself all the way down; butt to floor. Now go back up.

Quite a few people will struggle with even one at first. That's perfectly okay. Pavel shows you how to build up to them, gradually increasing the range of motion until you are strong enough to pop off one right after the other.

This is a wonderful drill for all kinds of reasons, including strength, definition, and stamina (runners, take note--I can personally vouch that these things can make you faster), and best of all, you need nothing to do them except for just a little bit of space. I've been known to do Pistols right in the queue of WDW attractions, and on occasion, I've had kids see this and try to keep up. That always gives me a warm and fuzzy all over.

Remember what I said earlier about in defiance of the fitness industry? How you don't need a lot of toys nor pharmaceuticals to get seriously strong, and how there are some physically monstrous prisoners who build themselves up while in lockdown, minus just about everything but their own bodyweight? Case in point here.

Men and women, young and old, learn The Pistol. Your buns will thank you.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 04-12-2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Typos......why'd it HAVE to be typos....?
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

okay Jake... i'll do 1 on each side just for you.... if i can't walk tomorrow i'll send ya a pm and say thanks....

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I think my buns will be screaming something other than "Thank you!" lol

Page 4 of 159 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast