Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WDW neglected?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WDW neglected?

    With the awesomeness of the new carsland in DL, the new parades at DL, World of color at DL, the redesign of the whole park at DCA, the new nighttime show in Paris and The Toy Story land. To me it seems WDW is being forgotten. Yes it's the biggest property and yes they're re-imagining fantasyland. it dosen't seem like they're doing as much as they are at the other properties.

    My questions are

    Why dose it feel like nothing big is really happening at WDW... Really WDW has 42 square miles yet DCA (which is landlocked) gets a whole new land.

    And...Do you agree with them being so reserve with WDW.

    Thanks for your answers!
    JAKE
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: WDW neglected?

    Do you recall Disneyland's 50th anniversary? Disneyland got nothing out of its own anniversary, WDW got all the new toy for Disneyland's 50th. California Adventure desperately needed the refurb, too.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: WDW neglected?

      It might be fair to say that Future World is being neglected in EPCOT, it's completely unfair to say that WDW is being neglected, not with a massive Fantasyland expansion underway, and a major new area planned for Animal Kingdom. And they had to do something about California Adventure. What major expansions and upgrades are happening at the other Disney Parks in Japan and Paris? There may be but I'm not aware of anything on the level of what's happening in the states. (I'm not counting Shanghai yet).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: WDW neglected?

        Originally posted by WDW4Ever View Post
        Do you recall Disneyland's 50th anniversary? Disneyland got nothing out of its own anniversary, WDW got all the new toy for Disneyland's 50th. California Adventure desperately needed the refurb, too.
        there was VMK. but your right.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: WDW neglected?

          Originally posted by LTTCMJAKE View Post

          My questions are

          Why dose it feel like nothing big is really happening at WDW... Really WDW has 42 square miles yet DCA (which is landlocked) gets a whole new land.

          And...Do you agree with them being so reserve with WDW.

          Thanks for your answers!
          I'm in your camp. Cali is barely over 10 years old. Have they invested in AK like they have Cali, being close in age? Ya, we hear of Avatar but will it really come, will it be a draw or a flop, and yep, Disney is known not to follow through with plans, look at the Pleasure Island rehab.

          Fantasyland Expansion is still a big gamble. It will be well received the first few years as was Cali but over time will it pan out for the majority of guests? Circus is so limited to small children. The coaster has been re-themed queue wise multiple times and yet it is still a cheap theme park kid coaster. The splash area on a whole will be for parents willing to deal with soaked children. We are still waiting to see how successful the Dwarf coaster will be with teens and young adults to draw them into the expansion. I hold the most hope for Mermaid. All the rest will be visually beautiful and initially everyone will gaze. How long the Princesses will draw the majority of MK guests remains to be seen. I'm sure the dining will draw however that wasn't the park hurting for dining, it is DHS's. I think it was a mistake to make the expansion all about the princesses.

          I'm not keen on setting the bench marks of expansions of various parks anniversary dates. Epcot certainly missed out on its 25th and likely the 30th. Future World was on life support when Cali opened. Epcot has had more things shuttered in those 11 years with nothing really added.

          Toy Story has a cute queue and is a fun little attraction but certainly isn't Cars in Cali. Disneyland also started and completed a DownTown evening venue. WDW still can't decide what the heck they are doing there. Disneyland also dealt this the aging monorail system. WDW, not so much. And frankly, the TTC, the gateway to the world is in desperate need of some TLC. That is not a welcome to the World and the bus stops to transfer to other parks at TTC is down right seedy. With the monorails being slower than usual the ferry lines in high seasons are upwards of an hour, yet it isn't addressed.

          Basically what Disney has invested in the most is building DVC's. I'm not arguing DVC's place in the WDW nor spend money to make money bottom line but that is where all the big money has gone for WDW and that remains to be WDW's priority.
          Some people are like Slinkies.

          They aren't really good for anything,
          but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

          Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: WDW neglected?

            THE FLE expansion is certainly an investment in WDW. On the other hand the gutting of PI and DTD is a big move iont he opposite direction. I'm not sure Avatar land or whatever will ever actually happen. Definitely time to reinvest in the other parks.
            Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

            SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

            Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: WDW neglected?

              I don't think WDW is being neglected. Disney know they don't have a problem getting people to central Floriday. Ask a hundred people where they rather go, DW or DL I am sure ninety percent would say DW.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: WDW neglected?

                This is what I was trying to say exactly!

                Originally posted by HauntedGabe View Post
                I'm in your camp. Cali is barely over 10 years old. Have they invested in AK like they have Cali, being close in age? Ya, we hear of Avatar but will it really come, will it be a draw or a flop, and yep, Disney is known not to follow through with plans, look at the Pleasure Island rehab.

                Fantasyland Expansion is still a big gamble. It will be well received the first few years as was Cali but over time will it pan out for the majority of guests? Circus is so limited to small children. The coaster has been re-themed queue wise multiple times and yet it is still a cheap theme park kid coaster. The splash area on a whole will be for parents willing to deal with soaked children. We are still waiting to see how successful the Dwarf coaster will be with teens and young adults to draw them into the expansion. I hold the most hope for Mermaid. All the rest will be visually beautiful and initially everyone will gaze. How long the Princesses will draw the majority of MK guests remains to be seen. I'm sure the dining will draw however that wasn't the park hurting for dining, it is DHS's. I think it was a mistake to make the expansion all about the princesses.

                I'm not keen on setting the bench marks of expansions of various parks anniversary dates. Epcot certainly missed out on its 25th and likely the 30th. Future World was on life support when Cali opened. Epcot has had more things shuttered in those 11 years with nothing really added.

                Toy Story has a cute queue and is a fun little attraction but certainly isn't Cars in Cali. Disneyland also started and completed a DownTown evening venue. WDW still can't decide what the heck they are doing there. Disneyland also dealt this the aging monorail system. WDW, not so much. And frankly, the TTC, the gateway to the world is in desperate need of some TLC. That is not a welcome to the World and the bus stops to transfer to other parks at TTC is down right seedy. With the monorails being slower than usual the ferry lines in high seasons are upwards of an hour, yet it isn't addressed.

                Basically what Disney has invested in the most is building DVC's. I'm not arguing DVC's place in the WDW nor spend money to make money bottom line but that is where all the big money has gone for WDW and that remains to be WDW's priority.
                JAKE
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: WDW neglected?

                  Originally posted by prickle View Post
                  I don't think WDW is being neglected. Disney know they don't have a problem getting people to central Floriday. Ask a hundred people where they rather go, DW or DL I am sure ninety percent would say DW.
                  I believe that could be mixing two different issues. I went to WDW this Spring. I had a wonderful time. Because I want to go to WDW does that imply that for example Future World in Epcot has not been neglected or Pleasure Island? Yes indeed Disney is popular. Yet in my train of thought Popular does not equal proper money being spent in operation & maintenance or in Capital Outlay.

                  Just like our own homes, you can only go so long without reinvesting capital outlay by updating the home to keep it current and also proper operation and maintenance to the home. Skip those steps overtime and the home becomes neglected. Disney for a long time skipped many of these basic budget line items in its WDW parks and it showed. Future World being one, but even in the Magic Kingdom the state of all three mountains operationally is rough at best. Not adding to the parks in general in WDW does not move the investment into the 21st century to compete in the long haul.

                  We've all seen how Universals Isles has boosted their bottom line by pumping Capital money into that park and in return substantially more guests have visited that park. That is a good Capital plan, Fantasy expansion was a reaction to the competition and not well thought out and unfortunately needed to be revised, delaying completion until 2014. Same with DTD, Universal has made significant and successful changes to their City Walk area and are being well received. Disney is still in limbo with their night time area, not a good Capital Plan. Overall their Operation and Maintenance plan failed as we saw so many of the E attractions and mid level attractions not operating as designed. Actually your trip report this week demonstrates my point nicely. http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...10-and-June-12 In that first post you eloquently detail the amount of attractions broken down in a very short time span of time.
                  Last edited by HauntedGabe; 06-21-2012, 11:53 AM.
                  Some people are like Slinkies.

                  They aren't really good for anything,
                  but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

                  Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: WDW neglected?

                    Please, if they hadn't done something, DCA would have soon become part of history. It was horrid by most accounts.

                    Fantasyland isn't some simple refurb. It's the largest expansion ever seen in any Disney park. By itself it's allegedly around half a billion dollars. Pretty hefty chunk of change to improve a park that was already putting all others to shame in revenue.

                    In the last five years we've seen refurbs of Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Moutain, Star Tours, Pirates... Lots of work has been done on Main Street over the last few years.

                    I don't see any true signs of neglect outside of Future World in Epcot.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: WDW neglected?

                      Originally posted by Mo Noyz View Post
                      Please, if they hadn't done something, DCA would have soon become part of history. It was horrid by most accounts.

                      Fantasyland isn't some simple refurb. It's the largest expansion ever seen in any Disney park. By itself it's allegedly around half a billion dollars. Pretty hefty chunk of change to improve a park that was already putting all others to shame in revenue.

                      In the last five years we've seen refurbs of Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Moutain, Star Tours, Pirates... Lots of work has been done on Main Street over the last few years.

                      I don't see any true signs of neglect outside of Future World in Epcot.
                      Exactly. DCA was a joke.

                      AK needs some work as well as Future World. And I am a bit worried that FLE may be costing so much and adding so much space but only 3? rides. There may still be a lot of work to do in Florida but I don't think the property as a whole is being neglected.
                      http://stewbottalborg.tumblr.com/

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: WDW neglected?

                        Originally posted by Mo Noyz View Post
                        Please, if they hadn't done something, DCA would have soon become part of history. It was horrid by most accounts.

                        Fantasyland isn't some simple refurb. It's the largest expansion ever seen in any Disney park. By itself it's allegedly around half a billion dollars. Pretty hefty chunk of change to improve a park that was already putting all others to shame in revenue.

                        In the last five years we've seen refurbs of Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Moutain, Star Tours, Pirates... Lots of work has been done on Main Street over the last few years.

                        I don't see any true signs of neglect outside of Future World in Epcot.
                        I wholeheartedly agree that in the last few years Disney had made a commitment to update the MK.
                        My judgement in Fantasyland Expansion will be if it will be worth that type of investment after the first few years. Space looks nicer however is down so frequently and not just for a few minutes so operationally the rehab didn't cure the operational issues. Thunder in the last couple of weeks still has bugs they are trying to work out, shutting her down and emptying guests but it looks very nice. Splash is down very frequently and has had way too many operational issues within the viewing areas that just don't work. Haunted Mansion is a rehab that has gone correctly. Star Tours is smoother picture however, to me, isn't all that different of an experience. From your experience is Star Tours rehab on the same level as Haunted Mansions, end result? I can't put them in the same league. I find that what they ultimately did with Star Tours is what needs to be done with Soarin. Cleaned up.

                        DCA to me is WDW AK. Imagineers missed in the overall planning and designwhat Disney guests want from a park. I'm not on board with Avatar being the life preserver that Cars should be to DCA.
                        Some people are like Slinkies.

                        They aren't really good for anything,
                        but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

                        Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: WDW neglected?

                          I haven't seen the new Star Tours, so I honestly cannot comment.

                          That said, I'd be shocked if it were on the same level as HM. That was a home run of epic proportions.

                          Forgot to throw Test Track in my earlier post. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: WDW neglected?

                            I think Future World is beyond the need of a little work. It needs an overhaul. A perfect example of neglect to total abandonment of pavilions.

                            My opinion of a Expansion well done and a well thought out project was the expansion at MGM years ago.
                            Sunset Boulevard. It was planned and built methodically, the end results have stood the test of time.
                            When completed in stages you had a superior coaster, TTT, there was nothing else similar elsewhere, a stage show, adequate restrooms, a large seating area for guests, a food venue, though I wish it was enclosed and A/C, stores and Fantasmic. To me, I will always look at Sunset Boulevard as Disney's greatest expansion at WDW. Others might argue that Mermaid and Dwarf outshine Rock'n and TTT when comparing the E attractions of an expansion, me not so much.
                            Some people are like Slinkies.

                            They aren't really good for anything,
                            but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

                            Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: WDW neglected?

                              Well, you know pretty darned well you're not going to get any argument out of me when it comes to Future World needing a complete make-over.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X