Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

    WDWMagic.com is reporting:

    Disney's Art of Animation Resort features RFID proximity door locks
    Mar 22, 2012

    "Disney have recently been conducting several hard-hat tours of the soon-to-open Art of Animation Resort. One interesting little detail that came out of this was that the guest rooms feature RFID (Radio Frequency ID) proximity sensors instead of the regular card swipe locks. This means that you can just put the card near to the door and it will open, no more swiping the card.

    RFID is the key to the technology being planned throughout the NextGen projects at Walt Disney World, covering everything from room entry, room charging, PHOTOPASS, FASTPASS, park entry and more. We last saw this system being tested at the Epcot turnstiles late last year.

    This addition to the Art of Animation would seem to indicate that Walt Disney World is not far away from actually implementing on a large scale the RFID system, and it would seem logical that other resorts will follow."
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  • #2
    Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

    Excellent idea considering how easily regular key cards can be demagnetized.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

      I've also heard that the RFID cards at AoA resort will open the gate at the fenced in 'Big Blue' Swimming Pool and Splash Pad area.
      "How high can a sycamore grow; if you cut it down then you will never know."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

        Oh Wow! I never knew they fenced in pool areas and locked them. Do they do this at all the value hotels? The most I've ever had was a wrist band at Stormalong Bay and had to present my room card to get that.
        Some people are like Slinkies.

        They aren't really good for anything,
        but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

        Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

          Originally posted by HauntedGabe View Post
          Oh Wow! I never knew they fenced in pool areas and locked them. Do they do this at all the value hotels? The most I've ever had was a wrist band at Stormalong Bay and had to present my room card to get that.
          As of January, none of the value pools were fenced...I just so happened to be around all of them on that trip. However, back in spring of 2011 I was at Caribbean Beach and their pool was fenced off.
          -Amanda


          When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
          -Walt Disney

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

            Originally posted by Thumper10 View Post
            As of January, none of the value pools were fenced...I just so happened to be around all of them on that trip. However, back in spring of 2011 I was at Caribbean Beach and their pool was fenced off.

            Caribbean Beach is a cool pool. My son, when little love it more than the parks.
            Some people are like Slinkies.

            They aren't really good for anything,
            but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

            Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

              Originally posted by ecmickey View Post
              I've also heard that the RFID cards at AoA resort will open the gate at the fenced in 'Big Blue' Swimming Pool and Splash Pad area.
              Just as an FYI, the "grand opening" of AoA was today, and the Big Blue pool was indeed fenced in and is RFID-protected. Someone counted 15 entrances, but the doors were slow to open.
              Doc

              Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
              Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                What in the world is next?
                Park Hopper Dad!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                  Originally posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
                  What in the world is next?
                  Oh boy you have missed a lot in short order. Almost all resorts have been fitted. Disney has applied to the FCC for approval of a guest wristband for their entire stay which has the ability to be a ticket, open doors of rooms, fill refillable mugs, create a data base on your vacation stay coming and going, it will be your fast pass for the Next Gen. Disney put up a structure at the turnstiles at MK to test it. Testing is ongoing with chosen guests to map out their touring and dining plans prior to their first day in a park. Yep. Likely more that I missed.
                  Some people are like Slinkies.

                  They aren't really good for anything,
                  but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

                  Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                    Originally posted by HauntedGabe View Post
                    Oh boy you have missed a lot in short order. Almost all resorts have been fitted. Disney has applied to the FCC for approval of a guest wristband for their entire stay which has the ability to be a ticket, open doors of rooms, fill refillable mugs, create a data base on your vacation stay coming and going, it will be your fast pass for the Next Gen. Disney put up a structure at the turnstiles at MK to test it. Testing is ongoing with chosen guests to map out their touring and dining plans prior to their first day in a park. Yep. Likely more that I missed.
                    So what's next? The mark of the beast? Because from what I'm hearing and reading, Disney very well may be a tool in Satan's hand to begin to "soothe" people with these "so-called" new technologies, to get people "comfortable" with wristbands with all of their vacation info on it! But all this is doing; is "lulling people " into such an "acceptance" state of mind; that for those still alive on the Earth when the Tribulation has started and then when the mark of the beast is implemented, then people will be so used to new advancements of technology, that they will gladly accept a microchip in their hands or foreheads! It's pretty doubtful that my family and I will ever go back to WDW. Unless things change for the better; but I doubt it. Sorry I am ranting on, but being a Christian I see how the world is becoming so blinded to what is really being prepared. I am saying no more.
                    Park Hopper Dad!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                      From what I'm being told the FP+ testing is only going over as "iffy" at best. When CMs ask how it looks to the higher ups, it is "interesting".

                      Now Disney is testing having Guests pick an arrival time for BoG and pre-ordering their food in advance online. My gut says this whole thing is going to blow up. I just can't imagine adding more FP attractions, knowing what park you are going to be at, picking ADRs, picking times for attraction FP+'s and pre-ordering time/food for QS venues.

                      I am finding it hard to imagine the vast majority of guests are going to jump on-board and support a vacation that will need a clip board and a stop watch. The wristbands, they might just be here for a while until the next version of going through the turnstile is invented. In all my years of going to the parks we have seen many versions of gaining entrance to the parks. Saw little tables set up near bag check at parks to affix chip to AP's. Guessing people with old style tickets might have to go to guest relations to obtain a new version of their ticket???
                      Some people are like Slinkies.

                      They aren't really good for anything,
                      but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

                      Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                        Head back from the world. Disney must love RFID because they used them for everything from test track, line time counter, park entry, food buying. It makes everything so much faster.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                          The system this test round has either gone well or horrible, with no in-between. Some guests have randomly been locked out of their dining plan, out of their rooms and worst out of the parks altogether. On the guests dime they have been left to sort out the rejection on their vacations, hours at a time. The common response is 'it is beta, guests signed up to be part of test, like the wrong doings are their fault for signing up. What do you do when you are on the dining plan and your Magic Band says decline? Or when your at the gate and your family gets in and you can't get in?

                          Right now the common response to the errors is 'we have encountered this before and they are working on it'. Joy!
                          So either the test guests are finding it fun or a miserable vacation on their dime.
                          Some people are like Slinkies.

                          They aren't really good for anything,
                          but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

                          Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                            Originally posted by HauntedGabe View Post
                            The system this test round has either gone well or horrible, with no in-between. Some guests have randomly been locked out of their dining plan, out of their rooms and worst out of the parks altogether. On the guests dime they have been left to sort out the rejection on their vacations, hours at a time. The common response is 'it is beta, guests signed up to be part of test, like the wrong doings are their fault for signing up. What do you do when you are on the dining plan and your Magic Band says decline? Or when your at the gate and your family gets in and you can't get in?

                            Right now the common response to the errors is 'we have encountered this before and they are working on it'. Joy!
                            So either the test guests are finding it fun or a miserable vacation on their dime.
                            It seems to me as well that the problems are fairly random - like communications issues between the readers and the central database, or something like that.
                            Doc

                            Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
                            Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: NextGen Door Locks at Disney's Art of Animation Resorts

                              Originally posted by doconeill View Post
                              It seems to me as well that the problems are fairly random - like communications issues between the readers and the central database, or something like that.
                              Apparently the system is Name based and is also causing difficulties for people in a party with the same name even when they are in different rooms.

                              The most common error seems to be DDP and pay to touch, randomly during guests stay.
                              Some people are like Slinkies.

                              They aren't really good for anything,
                              but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

                              Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X