Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Nick's European Vacation in the Community Center forums; Ok...my Dad and I are trying to plan a backpacking trip through Northern Europe (as he says it is). But I think we are going to hit up the UK ...
    nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder

Nick's European Vacation

Ok...my Dad and I are trying to plan a backpacking trip through Northern Europe (as he says it is). But I think we are going to hit up the UK (London) , France, Germany, Switzerland and...uh...I dont know. It will be a 10 day trip. And it will be a backpacking kinda trip. We want to use the trains a lot and such too. So...anyone have any tips? What is a good way to get around London? Bikes? Scooters? Underground? So...yea, any tips? I will be going around easter time, and am hoping to have a great adventure!
    Last edited by nick.jeschke; 12-22-2006 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Typo...10 days, not 100~

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Thats sounds like a lot of fun! Not sure what you should bring, but was 100 days a typo? Did you mean 10? Have fun!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Opps! Yea, I meant 10 days!

Quote Originally Posted by nick.jeschke View Post
    Opps! Yea, I meant 10 days!
    You scared me there..

I'll try to look up some info, if that can help you out!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    .... No, no, no!!

What you need is someone who lives in the UK to show you around.

Shame I can't think of anyone who travels to London daily who could help you out!!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Here's some photos of our trip to London in March of this year:

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/pho...ry.php?cat=691
    Rich

Thanks Rich! I just picked Lonely Planets "Europe on a Shoestring" today for my Dad for Christmas...or Crimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    .... No, no, no!!

What you need is someone who lives in the UK to show you around.

Shame I can't think of anyone who travels to London daily who could help you out!!!
    Nothing is better than getting information right from the source!

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    With value of the dollar against the pound, you'd better be getting around on something more valuable than a shoestring. LOL I'd say that you are covering a lot of territory in just 10 days.
    Based on cost, I would suggest buses rather than the tube in London. A regular, one way fare ticket on the tube is currently $6.00 where as the bus is about $1.60, If you buy an oyster card and use the tube, be careful to swipe in and out correctly. If not used just right, the machine won't register that you entred or left correctly and you will be charged the highest fare possible. You have to pay again if you have to transfer buses which is why a a travel pass could be useful if you plan to be in London for a few days.

If you are traveling with bikes or motorbikes through Europe, you certainly can use them in London, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't using them for your main mode of transportation. Traffic is heavy here, and parking a motorbike can be challenging.

Of course, for real travel info...Rich is THE MAN!
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Cheers, V!!!

Nick - if you want any help or advice just PM me or mini-V .
    Rich

Thanks so much! What are your thoughts of Eurorail though?

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    We took Eurorail to Paris and Brussels since arriving in the UK in 2005. I like Eurorail, but I like riding trains in general. I think it's more relaxing than flying and with all the restrictions for security, the travel time is not too much different. The train can be more expensive than flying which is why we are flying to Scotland for New Years.

Eurorail, like the rest of the trains in this part of the world, still haven't adapted their trains to people traveling with baggage. Sometimes there can be a pretty big gap between the platform and the first step onto the train. If you are traveling with bagpacks, you might not have as much trouble as I did trying to get on and off trains with a large suitcase. There is also limited space for suitcases on the trains. The only serious problem we had on Eurorail was our trip back from Brussels. There was a fire in a station just outside London and we had to get off the Eurorail train and take a local train the last leg of the trip. What should have taken an hour took 3 hours on a very crowded trail.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Believe it - or not - I have never been on the Eurostar through to France or Belgium!
    Rich

Thanks Mini V! My Dad opened the book and I think he liked it! One of our plans might be to take the chunnel to france...but to tell you the truth, I am not sure. My Dad & I need to sit and talk more...lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast