Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Celebration FL in the Community Center forums; I know some of you must live in Celebration FL. My question was do you like it?? Im from Boston and my husband and I go back and forth on ...
    peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder

Celebration FL

I know some of you must live in Celebration FL. My question was do you like it?? Im from Boston and my husband and I go back and forth on if we should move to FL to be closer to our favorite place on earth..disney of course. Our friends live in Windermere and HATE FL. They are originally from IL and are moving back after living in FL for 3 years. I just hear mixed things. Some people say Celebration is too strict with rules....i just want someones opinion that lives there!! Thanks!
    shannon

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    We have a house in Kissimmee. I think most new developments have a lot of rules. It's rare to find any new housing that is not in a development and any house that was built as part of a housing development will have regulations. Our development doesn't allow rental property and has some strict regs on a variety of landscaping. My daughter doesn't enjoy FL because she thinks it's too transient. I have yet to make up my mind.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

magikindom is offline It's Yeti time!
    I wish I lived im Celabration.
    I'm only happy in Disney World
    I am still a proud pod person
    Keep on babbeling

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Our church is in Celebration, and we live about 5 mins from Celebration, so needless to say we are there all the time (walks, playdates, church, post office, parks) and know lots of people who live in Celebration. Dh also works on houses in Celebration.

I have heard mixed sentiments about it, but only online. IRL, everyone I know who lives there loves it. Expensive? Very. But it's a nice town. I know we will probably never afford to live there (We pay $1150 to rent our *house* which is 3bdrms...and the cheapest 3bdrms I've ever seen in celebration were for about $1500, for an *apartment* - the nice houses out there rent for around $2,000/m) The restaurants actually aren't *too bad as far as prices, and but the shops are crazy. IMO.

Architecture and landscaping are beautiful- if you do some research on it online, you'll find that it was actually modelled after some towns all over the country, basically aiming for that "Leave it to Beaver"/Mulberry look. Anyway, let me know if I can help any more... I'm not sure what specifically you are wanting to know. . .

(Oh, and Windermere is cheaper, but there are plenty of houses that are right up there with Celebration, as dh works in them all the time)

thank you so much tasha!! That was very helpful. Yeah my husband and i are thinking about celebration, windermere, winter park, and winter garden area. I do not want to live more that 30 min from disney. It is just a big change...i have been living in boston all my life and im so used to winter, spring, summer and fall. Fall is my favorite season and im sure i will miss the leaves turning color and all. So many people ask why would i move to FL. My friend who is from IL has been living in Lakeland FL and he wants out so bad. He teaches school in orlando and absolutely hates it. He is moving in May and is counting the days. His sister lives in Windermere and hates it. Im just so torn!!! Im trying to have a baby so im trying to make the right decision especially when it will be time for them to go to school!!! Big decision...thank you so much for your info
    shannon

Shannon, well, besides the weather factors.... a LOT has to do with how much you can afford to pay. I will tell you, there are many many places that are w/in 30 mins of Disney. We live in Davenport, which is a fairly big area. I have learned that when I tell ppl where I live, I need to be more specific and say "championsgate/reunion area of Davenport" (since there ARE areas of Davenport that are further out/away from WDW) Next to Celebration, which is pricey, Davenport or the outskirts of Kissimmee is about the closest you'll get on one "corner" and then certain parts of Windermere or Dr Phillips are on the other 'corner'. WE can't afford, right now, to pay more than what we are paying.... (1150, 3bdrm/2ba, house, with pool, fenced yard, 2cg, etc.) but if you guys can afford more, or wouldn't mind an apt, then there are more choices. I'm talking about RIGHT by Disney.... there are also areas, SeaWorld area, that are still close (SW is about 10 mins further, going up I-4)

Oh, and we DO have leaves that change color Celebration, though, has "falling leaves"...leaves fall nightly during certain times of the year, every hour on the hour. They also get "snow" in Celebration, again, nightly during certain times, every hour on the hour. Good ole Disney magic

tasha...that was the other town davenport...forgot that one. That was the one we look online for and all those house seem so nice!! Do you like Davenport? Is it a busy town? I dont think we can afford Celebration...we live in an apartment now and do want to move into another one. Would rather get a house.
    shannon

Shannon, I'm not trying to be nosy or anything about what you can afford... but basically if you can afford around 1100-1300, you'll def. find something in Davenport. Course there are things more or less of those prices that you find every blue moon, but that's the general going price for a house (at least 3+ bdrms) There are some nice condos right around the corner from me, in Champions Gate, but personally I would rather have a house/yard (and they are generally the same price, maybe al ittle more, than the houses out here) Davenport is an up and coming area. Where I live, about 1 minute away I have a shopping center, which has Publix, subway, a movie store, a pizza store, McD's, Walgreens, Chilis, banks, etc... and pass right by that and hop onto I-4, you're on Disney property in 5 mins. (Takes me exactly 15mins to get from my driveway, to my parking stop at MK) So I enjoy the area. The ONLY thing I would say about this (and even this is everchanging) is that it's a tourist area. Which means....there isn't a WHOLE lot out here for residents. Within 20 mins of me, I have a plethora of restaurants and things to do (obviously WDW, duh, who needs anything else but there is of course DTD, and then thngs like Arabian Nights, Medieval Times, Old Town, Sea World, outlet malls, a gaZILLION restaurants, etc. ) BUT, no...Home Depot, no Lowes, no ToysRUs, no Books a Million, etc. We do have a nice library, though. So, all in all, I love where I live....EXCEPT I hate seeing snakes (basically if you live in a house- or even apts- in FL, you're gonna have snakes. I try to remember that they are 100X more afraid of me... ) I just hate all reptiles! LOL

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Okay, i Live in Celebration Florida, so I can tell you everything and anything you need to know...

I have lived there off and on for 5 years almost. I go to college nearby, and I live in my parents vacation home on weekends. i've spent weeks at a time there and my neighbors live there full time.

First off I will say, people are friendly. Your neighbors definitely say Hi to you. People you pass on the street say Hi to you so that's a plus. We live near downtonw, so it is AMAZING to walk through downtown.

It's not too strict. The only rules they have is to keep the town look nice. Some of the rules are that if you have a dead plant on your porch, you have to remove it. (which I think is good cuz no one wants to see dead plants) Also, you can't leave your christmas decorations up all year. You CAN decorate for any holiday you want though (so there's lights for halloween, valentine's, etc). Your house can't be the same color as the house across the street, diagnoal, or either side of you. This just makes the town look different. no biggie, most of the lots are already built, so it doesn't matter. You have to get your trash and recycling bin NEAR your house within 24 hours after trash pick up. This is so no one runs into it.

Other than that, there aren't really any other rules that are major major ones. And you ONLY get fined if you get caught. They do inspections on your house twice a year just to make sure there aren't any holes on the outside. They don't do inside inspections. They just want your house looking okay on the outside. This way the neighborhood looks nice.

As for it being expensive? I disagree. There's a diner downtown that you can easily get a HUGE meal for two for under 20 bucks. There are also some nicer upscale resturants. They also have different festivals every couple weekends where they have discounted food on the street. The shops are speciality shops, so their prices are a little higher, but it's close enough to the mall and I4 that you can get anywhere.

Houses are a bit more expensive. I'm in the process of condo/house shopping so I've been looking at a lot of different places, and the cheapest place to buy in Celebratino is probably $200,000. They go up into the millions. However, there are a LOT of places for rent for about $1,000 a month.

If you have any specific questions, please feel freel to ask them here or PM me. I can answer them or find someone who knows the answer.

And Tasha, we should meet sometime! :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Jeanne, I'd love to meet you! Do you go to church? We go to Celebrate Church, which meets at the AMC.

When I said it's expensive, I meant the housing I have never EVER seen anything to rent for 1,000/m... BUT I am also only looking at 3bdrms on up, so that probably makes a big difference (I've never looked at rent for a 1 or 2bdrm) I would love to live in Celebration....and one day I might be able to convince dh that when we can afford it, we should, but right now he can't see why we would want to spend that kind of money. WDW isn't a factor, b/c as it is we live close enough, but I just like the "mayberry" feel. And you are right about everyone just being so very friendly- I remember the first time I went there and went to the post office. Of course I had to walk along through downtown and EVERYONE we saw (which wasn't that many ppl at 10am but still said hello or smiled. It's like a different world over there.

We really should meet, either at WDW or somewhere in Celebration, since we are only minutes away (literally lol)

thank you guys so much!! Honestly im willing to spend anything from 200,000-315,000. My husband wants to move to davenport...he really wants a pool in the backyard!! Davenport looks really nice. We will have to look more into it next time we are down!
    shannon

Quote Originally Posted by HomeofLove4Him View Post
    Jeanne, I'd love to meet you! Do you go to church? We go to Celebrate Church, which meets at the AMC.

We really should meet, either at WDW or somewhere in Celebration, since we are only minutes away (literally lol)
    See for me, I LOVE the atmosphere of Celebration, once you live there, you don't want to leave (for the most part), so that's why I'm buying my own house there.

I KNOW which church that is. I am an RA at school so I'm never out there on Sundays (well rarely), so I've never gone to church there... Although I AM looking for a church since I graduate this April and then will be living in Celebration full time. I also have to find a minister to marry me and my fiance at Disney, and I was gonna get one of the Celebration peoples (yeah that was nice religious talk there), and I noticed that, the Celebrate Church is one of our options.

I would love to meet somewhere. I'll be in town this weekend, but I have plans so far... but we should figure something out.
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

Oh, I love Celebration, the atmosphere there, and so on.... but the reality is when you have a family and are needing more than just 1 or two bedrooms... AND want a house, it gets way too expensive out there I would LOVE to know what you have found to rent for 1,000 or BUY for 200,000 in Celebration. Believe me, if I ever saw a 3bdrm to rent for 1,000 out there, I'd move in.....yesterday! LOL But for now, I'm satisfied with being 5 minutes away. I DO like the fact that, since it was modelled after some other towns, esp if you live near downtown, you can live w/o using your car all the time, b/c you can WALK everywhere. Love that "NYC" thing they have going on in that aspect.

This weekend....hmm..I'm not sure what we are doing? Dh may have to work afterall on Sat (he's typically off) and I have my grocery shopping to do. Sundays are always packed, due to church and dh working. Other than that, the only major thing we have going on (that throws us all off) is trying to find a p/t job (either myself or dh). I'm considering a job with WDW, if I can find something half-way decent in pay... so with job-hunting and interviews.....ugh. I can't wait until we are in a set routine again, complete with regular Disney days and can know what our schedule will look like. I hate not being able to make plans for things.

Just let me know whenever things calm down. I"m a bit busy doing homework and finding a job I can live off of. (actually my future DH has to find a job we can live off of, cuz for a few years, I'm the bottom of the food chain at Disney probably, unless I get hired higher up?) So the whole writing the resume, applying, stuff like that... is my time. In between all my Disney time. lol.
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

with all this tornado stuff...maybe i should stay in boston
    shannon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast