Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: Which would you PREFER?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Would you PREFER..... in the Community Center forums; Since I know we have people who experience both situations, some reading I've done this morning has made me wonder: Would you PREFER- ~to live right by WDW and be ...
    HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder

Would you PREFER.....

Since I know we have people who experience both situations, some reading I've done this morning has made me wonder:

Would you PREFER-
    ~to live right by WDW and be able to go several times per week... OR
    ~to live further away and have that 'annual' or 'biannual' anticipation/buildup/excitement factor of something to look forward to?

I think both ways have their pros and cons. The biggest pro I can think of of living further away is having the excitement factor, although I think it's exciting EVERY time you go. WE have gone (not including blackouts) as much as 3 or 4wks w/o going to WDW b/c we had 'burnout'. Burnout had nothing to do with the parks, and had everything to do with simply the logistics of going either 8 months pregnant, or going with 4 kids, one of whom is a newborn, or tired of packing soooooo many spare clothes, snacks, etc and driving 45mins, etc. KWIM? Just things like that. Now that we live only 5 mins from *property* we don't feel like we have to make it an allday affair anymore to make it worth the drive lol. So the few times we've gone since we moved here (passes expired a month later) I remember there were times I took just the girls, after eating dinner at 7pm, over to MK to watch fireworkds and do Splash Mtn. I love being so close.. but we also won't get that 'anticipation' of spending a whole year looking forward to it either, I guess.

so ....which would you PREFER?

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I can see the pros and cons of both sides.

I voted for living further away, not to just build anticipation...but because there's more to my life than Disney and WDW. And right now in my life, my only interest in the state of Florida is WDW.

So, I bought into DVC years ago. That guarantees I get down there regularly.
    Last edited by MandaBella; 02-02-2007 at 01:16 PM.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I would rather be far away. I like living up north, I like begin close to NYC and about 6 hours from DC. If I lived close, I would get bored of the parks.

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Well as much as I would LOVE to be able to go alot (and because I am dirt poor I barely ever get to go), I feel like if I lived there and went all the time it would kind of be like "No Big Deal!" when I went.
    I like getting so extremely excited about it and feel really special that I am able to go.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

Justin M is offline Fastpass Holder
    Happy Groundhog's Day, MandaBella. Is the town crazy today? I drove out to Punxsutawney for the 'party' once back when I was in college (I live in PA as well) and I remember it being a pretty weird experience . . .

ANYWAY, regarding the question - as someone who lives pretty far away and can only currently afford trips down there every couple of years (at the most) I would DEFINITELY vote to live close to the parks. I agree that there are pros and cons to both and I too have life outside of my interest in WDW, but I can be a teacher anywhere, you can only be in WDW in Orlando! Especially with it being about 12 degrees outside and snowing right now, I would absolutely rather live close to the parks!
    Justin

www.dreamcmo.com

Send your questions about my CMO experiences to Justin@dreamCMO.com and you just might make it on the site!

Find me on 'Facebook' as well! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506475946

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpxsEymi9SE - CMO Blooper reel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIo5xUlQkg - CMO "Adventurosity Remix"

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin M View Post

ANYWAY, regarding the question - as someone who lives pretty far away and can only currently afford trips down there every couple of years (at the most) I would DEFINITELY vote to live close to the parks. I agree that there are pros and cons to both and I too have life outside of my interest in WDW, but I can be a teacher anywhere, you can only be in WDW in Orlando! Especially with it being about 12 degrees outside and snowing right now, I would absolutely rather live close to the parks!

I know how you feel Justin. I can only afford it years apart as well. My mom saved for 6 years to take me for my 21st birthday. I do sometimes wish I lived down there, but man is it special when I do get to go!

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Okay, For 18 years I lived AWAY from the World in Wisconsin.

However, the last 4 years I lived a couple minutes away and let me tell you...

being closer is a MILLION times better. You don't lose the excitement and the anticipation because at least you have the CHANCE to go. Whenever I go home to Wisconsin I get bored and just go "hmm, we should go to Disney... wait..." and I can't go. I like being closer because at least you have the chance. Just because you live nearby does not mean you have to go all the time so it works out. You can chose to go when and if and how long.

It's still amazingly special when i go. I celebrate anniversaries, birthdays, and just normal occasions (everyday ones) there. And if I REALLY need some 'excitement' I save up and go to Disneyland or a Disney Cruise, so really... I'm in heaven.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

DS2007 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Right here! Just off I-95 between Jacksonville & Key West
    Living only 3 hours away (by car) I could tell you that it's not close enough!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    I would rather be far away. I like living up north, I like begin close to NYC and about 6 hours from DC. If I lived close, I would get bored of the parks.
    I agree April. DH and I have been going to WDW about 2-3 times a year for the past 2 years...and quite frankly...I think we're starting to get a bit "complacent" about our visits.

That's why I love living in the North East. I love being halfway between NYC and DC, with Philly and B'more even closer to me. Plus, there's also all kinds of stuff within a 1-2 hour drive that keeps me entertained. Plus, I've been in love with the Broadway stage longer than I've been in love with WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin M View Post
    Happy Groundhog's Day, MandaBella. Is the town crazy today? I drove out to Punxsutawney for the 'party' once back when I was in college (I live in PA as well) and I remember it being a pretty weird experience . . .
    I've never lived in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I'm in the neighboring state of Delaware, which is closer to Philly but further from Pittsburgh. My avatar, location, tag, and signature quote are just in the spirit of Groundhog's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    Okay, For 18 years I lived AWAY from the World in Wisconsin.

However, the last 4 years I lived a couple minutes away and let me tell you...

being closer is a MILLION times better. You don't lose the excitement and the anticipation because at least you have the CHANCE to go. Whenever I go home to Wisconsin I get bored and just go "hmm, we should go to Disney... wait..." and I can't go.
    Jeanne...would you still feel this way if you lived in another part of the country those 18 years? I don't know much about Wisconsin and the Great Lakes area, but the advantage of the North East is that our states are relatively small and it's easy to hop from one state/city to another to avoid boredom.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Jeanne, you pretty much summed up our feelings! It's a good thing we are both so obsessed or we could never meet. Ever.

HAHAHA! Thatw as a JOKE, you know

And, some of us dont have lives outside of Disney, because we are too poor LOL Seriously- that's a big reason why that's the only place we go- it's free (well, already paid for...) for a year. At MOST, we might spend $10 when we go...like for a drink for us to share, or a snack. But even that is not every time. EEEEEEEEVERY blue moon we will eat at a restaurant there (at at the Castle our first trip a few yrs ago)... but going so often, clearly we cannot afford to dine with the royalty every time. I gotta say- WDW itself never gets boring. Like I said we have gotten burnout from the logistics of our situation... but that was really probably a year or so ago, when I was at the latter stages of my pregnancy with #4, and when he was just a newborn/infant. But I am always on the look out for something 'new' or 'special' that I can find, that I've never known before (and I am totally hyped about this esp after reading the Secrets forum )

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i've lived "far away" and close by...now i am far away again...my family usually goes once maybe twice a year so it's a really close call for me...we always have the exitement but living close was somewhat easier, planning-wise....we could decide at the last minute to go for a weekend...now i'm back in nyc and i'm really happy with my life(i.e. social life) so i have to vote for far away.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Disney05 is online now Premium Annual Passholder
    I think it's one of those "the grass is always greener" questions. I live up north so I always think it would be great to live by WDW so I can go when ever I want.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

It could very well be one of those 'grass is always greener' things. I guess we look at it as....If we ever wanted to (and could afford to) there actually ARE other things out here *gasp* like Sea World, Univseral, anything on I-drive, Medieval Times, Arabian Nights, Dixie Stampede, Old Town............and so on. I guess I like living near a ton of things, even though the only thing we do is WDW (have been to Universal and it's awesome for just dh and I- we had a buy one get one pass, so we went one day w/o the kids)... but none of those are as family friendly as WDW. Nothing tops WDW! But I guess I look at it as.. it seems like I can have anything that is in the rest of the country right here, only bonus is we have WDW. We at one point did contemplate moving, but that was a huge depression for us...thinking about how we could no longer be passholders and just pop on over for a couple hours, rather we'd have to do this BIG ta-do vacation, probably once a year if we are LUCKY, then we'd have to pay for airfare or gas to get there, we'd basically have to stay on property in order to eat or get around, since we'd have no car, but wait, we'd HAVE to rent a van, b/c not being able to leave property for a week would be more costly, PLUS park admissions.......WHEW! We basically knew we would never get down here, but once every couple yrs or so... That was honestly a big deciding factor in staying. Now, if a job transfer ever moves dh upsttae for a couple yrs or something, I will deal with it, but it will only be temporary(couple yrs), and probably won't even happen, so... (plus if I get a job at WDW, that will put a new spin on moving for his job anyway, so... )

But at the same time, I can totally see the 'anticipation' factor of waiting a whole year, too I guess I would just prefer to be minutes away.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    I can see the pros and cons of both sides.

I voted for living further away, not to just build anticipation...but because there's more to my life than Disney and WDW. And right now in my life, my only interest in the state of Florida is WDW.

Totally agree with you Amanda. Like living in the a northern state because i can be in toronto or nyc in a hour by car (toronto) or plane (nyc) or could be hanging out at the park playing ball.

Still not understanding how there can actually be life outside of going to WDW

Of course that isn't true- I DO understand, as during blackouts we are forced to find other things to do. For us, though, this seems to equal...well, nothing. There are options if you have money, though.

But seriously, even those of us who live minutes away probably do other things (course I can't speak for my family, but I'm sure it's true... )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast