Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Losing weight for disney in the Community Center forums; I dont know how many of you feel the same way I do but I would love to lose a couple of pounds before I go to disney world!! I ...
    disneyfreak_02 is offline A-Ticket holder

Losing weight for disney

I dont know how many of you feel the same way I do but I would love to lose a couple of pounds before I go to disney world!! I am going in less than a month and would just like to lose at least 10 pounds before I go!! Its not just weight loss for vacation I would like to keep losing weight!! Do any of you know of any good ways to lose weight beside the basic answer "diet and exercise" -duh I know that!!
    I would really appreciate any comments and would love to hear from people who have lost the weight!! Thanxs!!
    I LOVE DISNEY!!

sdale1227 is offline Thank you... Flora Call Disney.... for giving us Walt!
    cut carbs and sugar

Have a Magical Day! Sharon

"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality." Walt Disney
    Been to Disney in 1975, 1985, 1988, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007......

disneyfreak_02 is offline A-Ticket holder
    what days are you going to disney? I am going March 4th thru the 7th!! I can't wait!!
    I LOVE DISNEY!!

DisneyHottie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreak_02 View Post
    what days are you going to disney? I am going March 4th thru the 7th!! I can't wait!!

Hey! I'm going the march 3-6!! you think it will be crowded?
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!
    In love with Cptn. Jack Sparrow

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdale1227 View Post
    cut carbs and sugar
    That is good, but is not the best.
    Cutting carbs is not very healthy..WHen your body looks for fuel to burn..it goes to carbs, and when there are no more carbs left to burn, it will go straight to your muscles. And I am sure that you will never be able to get ALL of that muscle back..

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    I cut down to between 1200-1400 calories a day and lost 26 lbs from Nov to Jan and i did it all for Disney!!
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Loni, and how much exercise per day?

Quote Originally Posted by disney fanatic View Post
    That is good, but is not the best.
    Cutting carbs is not very healthy..WHen your body looks for fuel to burn..it goes to carbs, and when there are no more carbs left to burn, it will go straight to your muscles. And I am sure that you will never be able to get ALL of that muscle back..
    If its only for 10 lbs, its not bad.... and I said cut them. not don't eat them all together. Brown rice is better for yout han a butter filled baked potato.

I did this a few years ago & I lost ALOT!!!!!!

"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality." Walt Disney

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    So finish talking Sharon.... lol

What did you do? You cut carbs- examples of what this means? (like you said, brown rice instead of baked potato.....) So is brown rice not 'carbs'??? I would think it would be? Also, what did your exercise routine look like??

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Ok..I am a nutritionist..animal, not human..but after 8 years of college I've learned that it all pretty much goes in (and comes out) the same way

The magical answer of how to lose weight is to use more calories than you burn - sorry its not nearly as magical as you may have hoped!

As far as the carbs thing goes..reduced carb diets do work and here is why...your body needs glucose (sugar) in order to function, when you have an excess of glucose (found predominately in carbohydrates) it is converted and stored as fat. When you "starve" your body for glucose by eating primarily protein, your body switches to a glucogenic metabolism...meaning that it is forced to liberate the glucose that is trapped as fat in order to maintain homeostasis in the body and keep yourself alive..

While cutting carbs does work (and in order for it to work you have to cut all carbs..not just processed ones) it is not sustainable for the long term, and is not part of a longterm healthy eating plan. If you decide to eat this way for a quick loss be sure that you are eating lots of fiber (salads etc) in order to stay regular and take a multivitamin/multimineral supplement everyday!! This is escpesially important for niacin and thiamin which are found predominatley in whole grains. You also need to know that once you start eating carbs again you may experience a bit of a weight gain.

Overall, if you are looking to lose ten pounds, keep it off, and maintain a healthy lifestyle you should eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. Avoiding "empty" calories such as those found in processed baked goods and sodas is a great way to start.

When preparing for WDW its not a bad idea to start a walking routine as well...WDW is much more fun when your feet aren't killing you!

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    On a side note..to answer questions about what are and are not carbs..

Carbohydrates (litteraly hydrated carbons) are found in foods such as rice, oats, grains, fruit, potatoes, baked goods, candies etc..basically anything that is sugary or starchy

Carbs are not bad!! They are an important energy source..however some carbs are more nutrient dense than others. It is important to avoid empty carbs such as those found in sodas, candies, and white bread in favor of brown rice, whole grain bread and fruit
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

diet...... carbs????

Quote Originally Posted by HomeofLove4Him View Post
    So finish talking Sharon.... lol

What did you do? You cut carbs- examples of what this means? (like you said, brown rice instead of baked potato.....) So is brown rice not 'carbs'??? I would think it would be? Also, what did your exercise routine look like??

There are good carb and bad ones. I cut out all "White foods" sugar, potatoes, white bread, pasta and ate lots of protein, salads, veggies. The carbs I did eat were brown rice, whole grain bread, and whole wheat pasta... all in moderation. As for my exercise routine.... lets just say I had a 5 year old at the time....need i say more!!!!

I lost almost 100 lbs. Unfortunatley I have gained some back, but using the diet, I can lose very easily.

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreak_02 View Post
    I dont know how many of you feel the same way I do but I would love to lose a couple of pounds before I go to disney world!! I am going in less than a month and would just like to lose at least 10 pounds before I go!! Its not just weight loss for vacation I would like to keep losing weight!! Do any of you know of any good ways to lose weight beside the basic answer "diet and exercise" -duh I know that!!
    I would really appreciate any comments and would love to hear from people who have lost the weight!! Thanxs!!
    here is my suggestion!
    lol
    don't diet before disney wait till you come home!
    that way you can eat all the yummyness down in WDW!!!!

but yeah cut carbs - sugars - or count calories!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

I'll be going to 1 or 2 characters meals next month there.... think I'll gain weight............................................ .....YUP!!!!!!

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    Tasha, i exercised about 20 mins a day left out all potato chips,chocolates,cookies and i didn't eat after 7 p.m. at night and it really worked and it's still working
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast