Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Disney Purist in the Community Center forums; I dont know about the rest of you but i like to refer to myself has a disney purist. by this is mean i would like for disney world to ...
    disneyfan1329 is offline A-Ticket holder

Disney Purist

I dont know about the rest of you but i like to refer to myself has a disney purist. by this is mean i would like for disney world to go back to the way it was. Instead of all this pixar stuff taking over, we should try to keep walts vision alive.

For instance, Walt never wanted EPCOT to have characters in it. It was manily a place for learing about the future and how things work. But now all of these characters are comming in. Now there changing El rio del tiempo to the three caballeros. I mean c'mon, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Be sure to post your opinion! I want to hear what you think!!!

Come and see my VMK central podcast:
    http://vmkcentral.mypodcast.com/

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Well, I think it's great to have characters at EPCOT. If they were all centrally located in one park, so many kids would never get to meet the characters. I love how Epcot has a character meeting place, and how princesses can be found in World Showcase.

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I'm pretty much a purist (by your description, too). But Walt was also known to change his mind. I think that it should follow more of Walt's intentions rather than the specific details. Things have changed a lot and who is to say that Walt wouldn't have wanted the characters in there now, for example, to bring more kids in for the edutainment aspects. In some ways, I think Pixar has been truer to the original Disney forumla than Disney was, especially during the late 70's into the 80's. Pixar has brought the story themes back around along with new advances in technology that Walt would've been all over.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I kinda consider myself like this, but it's so hard to say what Walt would have wanted. Personally, I think he would have wanted what the people wanted the most and what would bring the most joy to the guests. Right now Pixar is popular and Disney is capitalizing on it. You gotta remember that Walt never saw EPCOT as a theme park anyway, so who know's what he would have wanted for an "Epcot theme park". We may not have the exact same attractions and elements to the parks as when Walt was alive, but Disney is still keeping his true dream alive; the fact that adults and children can share the experience together and that it truly is a place for family. This is what makes Disney different (by different I mean better!) than all the other offerings out there. At least they are staying true to Walt's main "family shared experience" vision for Disneyland and keeping this in mind with everything they do!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    I wish they weren't changing el rio del tiempo... i love the ride the way it is, a corny little boat ride through mexico
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think one has to be careful about wanting to return everything to "the good ole' days" of Walt Disney. If you remove Pixar, then why stop there. Remove everything that came after Walt's death; MGM, Animal Kingdom, Cirque du Solei, water parks, special hard ticket events, and parks around the world. How about all the movies and rides? I don't recall being able to buy Disney movies while Walt was alive. Ready to give up your videos and DVD's?

Walt was all about innovation. How else could he go from a black and white mouse on a steamboat to theme parks that thrill and entertain. How many awards did he win while he was alive that was for innovation in annimation? What makes you think Walt wouldn't have come up with a Pixar-type production had he lived into the modern computer age?

Many of the rides that people remember fondly were enjoyed for the first time when they were very young; before the days of highly computerized games and toys. Today's generation of guests wouldn't appreciate the simpler rides that we saw 10 years ago. If toy companies didn't beleive this do you think there would be so many computerized toys with gimics, bells and whistles?

Enjoy your memories. Be glad that you can appreciate the simplier, early days of Disney, but be careful what you wish for.
    Just my opinion.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I think one has to be careful about wanting to return everything to "the good ole' days" of Walt Disney. If you remove Pixar, then why stop there. Remove everything that came after Walt's death; MGM, Animal Kingdom, Cirque du Solei, water parks, special hard ticket events, and parks around the world. How about all the movies and rides? I don't recall being able to buy Disney movies while Walt was alive. Ready to give up your videos and DVD's?

Walt was all about innovation. How else could he go from a black and white mouse on a steamboat to theme parks that thrill and entertain. How many awards did he win while he was alive that was for innovation in annimation? What makes you think Walt wouldn't have come up with a Pixar-type production had he lived into the modern computer age?

Many of the rides that people remember fondly were enjoyed for the first time when they were very young; before the days of highly computerized games and toys. Today's generation of guests wouldn't appreciate the simpler rides that we saw 10 years ago. If toy companies didn't beleive this do you think there would be so many computerized toys with gimics, bells and whistles?

Enjoy your memories. Be glad that you can appreciate the simplier, early days of Disney, but be careful what you wish for.
    Just my opinion.
    You beat me to it mini-V! I totally agree with what you have said. Whenever I see these type of discussions of the "good old days" or debates about "What Would Walt Do," I simply smile and just remember that Walt Disney was an innovator...one of the great innovators the 20th century has seen. He was always looking forward, always looking for ways to improve things to bring more enjoyment to his guests. Who's to really say what Walt would think of his company today? We can only speculate based on his past behavior.

I also don't understand some of the backlash I am seeing in regards to Pixar on the boards lately. Once upon a time, Disney was all about quality family entertainment. Well, that quality seemed to be slipping for a bit...and IMHO...Pixar took up that banner and moved further with its films. The public responded, and Disney took notice. I'm glad these two great companies are in cahoots instead of competition. They both bring something to the table that when used properly can make then a true tour de force in family entertainment. I don't really see Pixar taking over as much as Disney kinda taking a back seat in regards to some things.

Now...do I miss certain things? Of course! I would have preferred the MK kept Mr. Toad, but put Pooh somewhere else. I prefer the original Enchanted Tiki Room. Fortuantely, the DLR still has it. However, I am looking forward to whatever technical advances WDW's HM may be receiving. I was impressed with the changes to POTC, when I didn't think I would be. So, you never know...

"Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes." - Benjamin Franklin
    Last edited by MandaBella; 03-25-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...