Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Your Opinion on a Sensitive Disney Subject? in the Community Center forums; Couldn't think of a better forum to put this in, so I hope people still see it. I have a random opinion question. How do you feel when people use ...
    hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder

Question Your Opinion on a Sensitive Disney Subject?

Couldn't think of a better forum to put this in, so I hope people still see it. I have a random opinion question.

How do you feel when people use the term, "Uncle Walt?" Do you take offense to it? I've seen it used by people who aren't exactly Disney fans, but I always thought of it as a term of affection. Maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

I consider it a term of endearment.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I've refered to him as uncle Walt. I grew up watching him on Wonderful World of Disney every weekend so he was like an uncle!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Never bother me in the least. I also grew up watching the World of Disney and it was like having that fun Uncle that came by and made you laugh.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Yea I dont see any problem with anyone who wants to call him Uncle Walt. On another note My wife and I named our dog Walter wonder where that came from???
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I'm confused by why you would think it would be offensive to Disney fans when used by non Disney fans. (Did I get that right? Is that what you were saying?) Obviously, the tone with which it is spoken is a factor. However and like it has already been noted in this thread, many of the adults today....both Baby Boomers and Generation Xers...grew up watching Walt Disney come into their living rooms every week. They may or may not be Disney fans now, but back then Walt Disney was like an "Uncle" who visited weekly who showed them all these new and amazing ideas while entertaining them.

One of several fond nostalgia memories for the children of those years, whether they remained Disney fans or not...
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I guess I never thought of it... I think the important thing to remember is that Walt himself would likely love to be referred to as Uncle Walt.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    He will always be Uncle Walt to me. N o matter how others may use it, it's a term of endearment to me.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    If I use it, it's definitely a term of endearment and wishiful thinking...if only he was my Uncle I probably wouldn't have had to wait till I was 23 to see Disneyland for the first time.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Disney uses the term Uncle Walt when they refer to his TV shows.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I was watching a Behind the Scenes yesterday and one of the Imagineers called him Uncle Walt.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    It's funny but until you said it I never really thought about how I felt. I have never referred to him as Uncle Walt but I know that most folks who grew up watching him do. Unfortunately I didn't have that option. I'd assume that if someone that isn't a Disney fan calls him Uncle Walt that it's certainly not meant endearingly. But from those who appreciate Walt's inspiration and creations and celebrate his life... of course it's a term of endearment.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe