Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Garage Sales in the Community Center forums; It's that time of year again. Time for garage sales. I was wondering how you guys price your items? Especially kids clothes. Do you price by brand name, condition, or ...

Garage Sales

It's that time of year again. Time for garage sales. I was wondering how you guys price your items? Especially kids clothes. Do you price by brand name, condition, or both?

Are you one of those "up at the crack of dawn to get to the sale first" kind of people?

Lori

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    It's that time of year again. Time for garage sales. I was wondering how you guys price your items? Especially kids clothes. Do you price by brand name, condition, or both?

Are you one of those "up at the crack of dawn to get to the sale first" kind of people?

Lori
    For clothes, I'd price by a bit of both, but either separate into 2-3 different baskets or racks and color code the tags (I just mark with a marker inside). One color per price. Makes it easier to ring up and also makes it ok if they get a bit mixed up by the end of the day.

Definately start early, unless you're like some of the people up here who have weekend sales and start on Thursday.... just weird.

I do one day and then set an end time (no later than 3-4 pm) and have a local charity come pick up the leftovers.

Make sure you have a locking cash box and plenty of change (at least $20 in ones and $10 in quarters).

To make a little extra change, especially if there are plenty of sales in the area on the day you're holding yours... grab a few cases of Cokes, water, etc. and a cooler and ice and charge $.50 each. Cheaper than the convinience stores people may be stopping at, and you still make a profit.

Those are my 2 cents. Good luck!

I like that pop idea. But it's going to be cold here this weekend. FIGURES!! Maybe I'll sell coffee and cookies. I used to do that when I was a kid and my gram had a garage sale. I'd sell lemonade and popsicles.

This weekend is the townwide garage sale. And if you sign up to do it with the Chamber of Commerce you can only open at 9 am Friday. So my hours are Fri. 9-6 and Sat. 9-1.

Thanks for the "2 cents".!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    we did one a week ago and we set up on thur and had the sale friday and saturday.. we did pretty good me and a friend.. we priced our kids clothing higher if it was nice and name brand.. we both use to manager the local goodwill so we know the going rates for thing people will give around here.. and take in mind people will try to jue(SP) you down..

we boxed everything up we didnt sale and put it in my friend building because this weekend her momis having one and were going to go over there and whatever dont sale will be going to goodwill before it closes on Sat..

its a great way to make extra spending money to take with you on vacation and you get the clutter out of the house
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    We just had a MASSIVE sale before we moved. My wife placed the kids' clothes in boxes according to size and marked a price on each box. That way everything in that box was one price. Then to get rid of the little "junk" that gets left behind, she set out grocery bags and said to fill the bag for a certain price.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Right now I have these prices:

denim shorts $2---$4 if new
    cotton shorts .50
    denim capris $3 ---$5 if new
    jeans $3--$5 if new
    t-shirts range from .25-2.00
    long sleeve shirts-$2
    sweatshirts-$2 or 3
    skirts-$2-3
    dresses/2 pc. outfits --$3-5

What do you think it should price a Disney Princess full comforter set (comforter/flat sheet/fitted sheet/2 pillowcases). All pieces are in great shape except I think there is one mark on the fitted sheet? I'm thinking $10-15.

I hate it when I run out of hangers!!

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    CHEAP! price your items cheap. if yu have ALOT of clothes to get rid of, some people offer a bag of clothes for like $5. ive gotten alot of good clothes this way. But i find to price your items cheap. good luck!!!! and put your big ticket items out front and put a big sign offering kids clothes and items. where i live people HOARD garage sales for kids clothes, esp baby and toddler!
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I like that pop idea. But it's going to be cold here this weekend. FIGURES!! Maybe I'll sell coffee and cookies. I used to do that when I was a kid and my gram had a garage sale. I'd sell lemonade and popsicles.

This weekend is the townwide garage sale. And if you sign up to do it with the Chamber of Commerce you can only open at 9 am Friday. So my hours are Fri. 9-6 and Sat. 9-1.

Thanks for the "2 cents".!
    I have some sense but none to spare. OH! you mean cents, like money. Well I have some of that too.

YAY! Guess where I am going on Friday? Donnie is off and it is payday. He will be thrilled to find this out.

BTW, reasonable prices, but dont forget, people in this area are cheapskates and want everything free. Be prepared for idiots.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    Be prepared for idiots.

I'll be waiting for you!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Anyone ever tell you that you are a smart aleck? Just for that I want the DWT discount at the sale. 90% off.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

All of my boys clothes are always in really good condition and I think the most I've ever priced anything was $1. It's amazing how quickly t-shirts priced at 25 cents add up!!!!

We do our garage sale on Memorial Weekend at my Parents who live 20 minutes from the closest restaurant or convenience store. It's a huge private property area, organized garage sale weekend where most of the residents participate. Parker is going to be having his own little stand this year where he will be selling hot dogs, brats, pop and bottled water. I'll be picking the stuff up from Costco this weekend and I'm bettting he'll make quite a haul to add to his Disney spending money!

ME? A smart aleck? NO

Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    Be prepared for idiots.
    I'll be waiting for you!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    well i got the phone call were doing another this weekend!! thank god everything is already priced and we just have to lay it out!!! after this its going to goodwill..

goodluck on your yard sale!!

i wanna make at least $100.. i want to buy my MNSSHP tickets
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Okay guys! Since "VIX" aka "the idiot" didn't show up who's going to come and get all my leftovers???????

I offer a great DWT discount. Sticker price PLUS an additional 10%

Lori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast