Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Any Apple laptop users? in the Community Center forums; I have an iBook (4th Generation) with the magnetic AC adaptor connection and cable. My cable has recently frayed (I've had the computer since 2004-2005) and now I have no ...
    fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Question Any Apple laptop users?

I have an iBook (4th Generation) with the magnetic AC adaptor connection and cable. My cable has recently frayed (I've had the computer since 2004-2005) and now I have no way of charging my battery. Is there any brand other than Apple's I can buy as a replacement cable? I've been online and read horrible things about Apple's replacement cables (stop working after a few charges, catching on fire, sparks, etc.) and am hesitant about buying one. But I know that magnetic connection is unique to Apple so I might not have a choice. Just wondered if any of my fellow geeks could help me out. Thanks! ~Rachel

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by fungus_01 View Post
    I have an iBook (4th Generation) with the magnetic AC adaptor connection and cable. My cable has recently frayed (I've had the computer since 2004-2005) and now I have no way of charging my battery. Is there any brand other than Apple's I can buy as a replacement cable? I've been online and read horrible things about Apple's replacement cables (stop working after a few charges, catching on fire, sparks, etc.) and am hesitant about buying one. But I know that magnetic connection is unique to Apple so I might not have a choice. Just wondered if any of my fellow geeks could help me out. Thanks! ~Rachel
    I searched google for a third party adaptor and couldn't find any. So it looks like you have to go the Apple.
    I have a G3 Dual USB model 12" iBook along with my 17" G5 iMac.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    That's what I thought. Oh well, looks like a trip to the Apple store for me tomorrow. Thanks Brian!

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    you might want to try posting on techsurvivors.net mac forums - they are incredibly knowledgeable about all things mac - and a great resource for exactly these kinds of questions. they've helped a very novice computer person like myself install things into my ibook g4, fix things, clean things, etc. good luck!

Hiddenmickeyboy is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't use one
    999,999 score on BLSRS! Galactic Hero!

I love working in the Theme Park Industry!