Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss the7thAve's 31 MORE Days of Halloween!!! in the Community Center forums; Sounds like a plan Cinderella2! So I went to see if I could find those three movies and...no luck. IThe clerk explained that horror flicks are not popular around here, ...
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Sounds like a plan Cinderella2!

So I went to see if I could find those three movies and...no luck. IThe clerk explained that horror flicks are not popular around here, I do have another place I can check out. In the meantime, I did pick up Rosemary's Baby which made last year's list, I have it for three nights so I'll let you know how it went once I watch it!

Last week I got to see Shaun of the Dead and really enjoyed it, I went back to read last year's post on the movie and I had also picked up on how everyone in the movie was zombie-like, not just the actual zombies. My favorite part was "there's a girl in the yard"....that whole bit was great.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    The "it's just a movie" mantra usually works for me, but even then, there are some film images that haunt me to this day that I can't ever seem to shake; one of which was in the sequel to the above mentioned Sleepaway Camp--one of the more disturbing murder scenes I've ever managed to sit through (anyone who has seen Part II of this franchise knows exactly which moment I'm talkin' about). The sheer physics of how this disgusting sequence could've possibly gone done in the real world are mind-boggling, if not flat-out hilarious (especially from the perspective of a medic), but this one never fails to churn my guts around just thinking about it.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I can't seem to shake the purple lady in the bathtub from "The Shining".

Nice to see you again Conceited Ape!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Yeah, the most valuable lesson from The Shining is if a beautiful nude woman makes the moves on you, don't look in the mirror.

Nice to see you too, Cinderelly. Very pleased to see the bullies haven't managed to chase you away yet.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Thanks friend- these sturdy glass slippers are helping me stand tall. Besides, I only go away briefly and then come back with a vengeance!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

October 4th

the Descent (2005)

some adventurous girlfriends go spelunking. one of them has just had a traumatic experience in her life. and one of them is going to make a decision that will change their lives... or what's left of them, heh.

you'll notice that I don't post a lot of movies from within the past decade or so. there's a simple reason for that..... for the most part they ****. but every now and then some studio will mess up and give the right people the go-ahead to make a decent flick. this is one of those.

somehow, this movie manages to be a horror movie and be deep at the same time (something not accomplished too often). there's a lot going on here underneath what you actually see on the screen, but I'm not gonna divulge any secrets here.... I'll save that for the Special Features. that's their job.

suffice it to say, this is a scary movie and will have you on the edge of your seat from the innocuous beginning to the bitter end.

If we can dream it, we can do it

October 5th

the Fog (1980)

Right after the winning team of John Carpenter and Debra Hill made the blockbusting Halloween, they made a little ghost story called the Fog. unfortunately, critics and audiences didn't receive it quite as well, so it was largely forgotten until some Hollywood bozo made that awful remake a couple years ago.

the Fog is about a little town on the coast with a dark past that comes back to haunt them, literally.

I love old ghost stories that involve the sea, so this one really appealed to me. I think it is the best done "sea ghost" movie out there. in fact, I can't think of too many others besides the recent "Ghost Ship" which wasn't too terribly bad, but not nearly on a par with the Fog.

If you have a fascination with the sea, as I do, and you like ghost stories, as I also do, then you'll love this movie.... ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Sounds like a plan Cinderella2!

So I went to see if I could find those three movies and...no luck. IThe clerk explained that horror flicks are not popular around here, I do have another place I can check out. In the meantime, I did pick up Rosemary's Baby which made last year's list, I have it for three nights so I'll let you know how it went once I watch it!

Last week I got to see Shaun of the Dead and really enjoyed it, I went back to read last year's post on the movie and I had also picked up on how everyone in the movie was zombie-like, not just the actual zombies. My favorite part was "there's a girl in the yard"....that whole bit was great.

so.... watched Rosemary's Baby yet? it's a great flick, imo, so I'm anxious to see if you enjoyed it.

Shaun of the Dead is a modern horror classic. once you watch a bunch of zombie movies, then go back and watch Shaun of the Dead and watch for all the subtle references to prior zombie movies, mostly the original Night of the Living Dead. those sorts of things are part of what made this movie great.

I made certain Caroline was kept aware of all the Zed-word film references I could think of as we watched. You'd have been proud, T--she knew who Fulci was right off the bat thanks to last year's topic.

Pleased to see there's at least one other person out there who enjoyed Ghost Ship, I was starting to think I was the only one who liked this one. Personally, this one is worth renting just for the atmosphere--they really did a great job capturing the sense of dread from a derelict, rusty old ocean liner lost at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    I made certain Caroline was kept aware of all the Zed-word film references I could think of as we watched. You'd have been proud, T--she knew who Fulci was right off the bat thanks to last year's topic.

Pleased to see there's at least one other person out there who enjoyed Ghost Ship, I was starting to think I was the only one who liked this one. Personally, this one is worth renting just for the atmosphere--they really did a great job capturing the sense of dread from a derelict, rusty old ocean liner lost at sea.
    that opening sequence of Ghost Ship is worth the price of admission alone! awesome!

October 6th

Opera (1987)

one of the best giallos ever.

what is a giallo? its an Italian word for a type of movie made, mostly, in Italy. think of a giallo as a cross between a murder mystery and the toughest slasher movie you ever saw. still interested? good. b/c giallos have both more style and more substance than the majority of films produced in America, horror or not.

Opera features Argento's famous "black gloved killer." the BGK is a different person in all of his movies, but is nevertheless a trademark of Dario's work in the genre.

while this movie could easily be described as a "murder mystery," squeamish stomachs be warned!!!! this movie features some of the most head-turning violence I have ever seen... and that's saying a lot. the camera does not turn away as victim after victim are tortured to death.... just as our poor heroine is forced to watch everyone she cares for be killed.

if you can get past the violence, or even if you can't and must turn away, this is a stylish thriller and one of my personal favorite Italian films ever.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    I watched The Fog the other night. Heh, the next day there was A LOT of fog over here, and it wouldn't lift--How ironic.......and yes, creepy.

(And if anybody wanted to know, I am not good with horror films. Let's just say Hocus Pocus is enough for me(How many people will jump on me for saying that it was a "Horror Film"?)
    Last edited by disney fanatic; 10-06-2007 at 12:28 PM.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    so.... watched Rosemary's Baby yet? it's a great flick, imo, so I'm anxious to see if you enjoyed it.

Shaun of the Dead is a modern horror classic. once you watch a bunch of zombie movies, then go back and watch Shaun of the Dead and watch for all the subtle references to prior zombie movies, mostly the original Night of the Living Dead. those sorts of things are part of what made this movie great.
    I am watching it for the second time as I type this. Loved it, this is the type of "horror" movie I enjoy, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet but I was thankful that they didn't actually show us some things....I have to add that Mia Farrow is lovely in this role. "As long as she ate the mouse, she can't see,. She's like dead. Now sing".

So now it looks like I've got some movies to watch in order to fully get Shaun?

You've peaked my curiosity with Ghost Ship, I will look for that one next I think. Going to check out the other rental place today, see if I have better luck there.
    Last edited by Tinker Bell; 10-06-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Good call with Opera, T--one thing I do want to get off my chest on that note though is a minor pet peeve of mine. Not accusing you or anyone else here of this, but it always sort of bothered me that when a mindless, gory, senselessly violent film full of gratuitous nudity, expolitation and lacking any redeeming values is made in the United States, it's filed away as garbage; whereas an equally mindless, gory, senselessly violent film full of gratuitous nudity, exploitation and lacking any redeeming values is made in Europe or Asia, and it's hailed as art.

Caroline, you seemed to "get" most all of the subtle references I was able to point out from Shaun. Some of which you don't even need to watch any films to understand, per se (case in point, the catchy little techno tune on the bus ride goes by the name "Zombie Nation"). If you're really interested in getting Zed-word schooled, I'd make the same recommendations T made last year--the original Night of The Living Dead and if you've got the stomach Dawn of The Dead (the 1978 original, of course. I'm biased towards these two since they were practically filmed in my backyard). Fulci's Zombie (Zombi 2 in Europe) would probably round it out well for you, just so you can see how the Italians did business with the shambling undead.

Ok, checked out another "video" store and here's what I got:

Friday the 13th, just because I haven't seen in so long that I can't remember a thing about it.

The Omen (did that make the list?), the original 1976 version.

Ghost Ship

The Descent.

Having a hard time finding original versions, they carry all the remakes though. I have a question, last year you listed Land of the Dead, was that worth watching? I did see that one on the shelf. I will let you know how I liked these (or not) as I get through them. Wish me luck on getting to sleep tonight.....

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast