Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss the7thAve's 31 MORE Days of Halloween!!! in the Community Center forums; Just so you know, I haven't watched anything yet and I am already freaking myself out. Oh boy, this will be interesting......
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Just so you know, I haven't watched anything yet and I am already freaking myself out. Oh boy, this will be interesting...

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    Good call with Opera, T--one thing I do want to get off my chest on that note though is a minor pet peeve of mine. Not accusing you or anyone else here of this, but it always sort of bothered me that when a mindless, gory, senselessly violent film full of gratuitous nudity, expolitation and lacking any redeeming values is made in the United States, it's filed away as garbage; whereas an equally mindless, gory, senselessly violent film full of gratuitous nudity, exploitation and lacking any redeeming values is made in Europe or Asia, and it's hailed as art.
    this is a very valid point. I think it goes beyond film though, into all other forms of art. the unfamiliar and mysterious will always seem more appealing, but that doesn't make it better or worse, necessarily. what is pop culture in Japan is more of a subculture here, so thus it is seen as "superior" to American culture, yet it is just as sterile over there as pop culture is here.

if "Opera" were made in America, by Americans, and starring Americans, it might not be as well received as it is. I just don't think it could have been made in America in 1987. the giallo is something wholly Italian, which makes it different, and thus special.

and although it is extremely violent, I wouldn't even consider comparing it to the violent films of 80's American horror cinema (Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.). do I consider it more "stylized" just because it is different? probably. but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. in fact, I would say that it is a good thing for Americans to go beyond what America has to offer, and search out and, more importantly, appreciate films from other cultures.

whether or not that makes them better or worse, as far as art goes, is not for me to say.

sorry for the rambling, but you made a very good point and one that is important to me b/c I am all for the "question everything" mindset. asking oneself, "Why do I like this?" and answering in the most brutally honest way possible.

it's like if you have a picture of a tree. in color, it's just a picture of a tree.... but switch it to black and white, and watch the sheep drool over it.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Just so you know, I haven't watched anything yet and I am already freaking myself out. Oh boy, this will be interesting...
    sounds like a good night! I have seen tons of horror movies and have learned to cultivate and appreciate the feelings of being scared. if I get scared from a movie nowadays, it goes into the category of "immediate buy" so I can watch it till its not scary anymore.

in a way, I hate that about myself. why do I always want to know how the magic trick works? why can't I just accept the magic as magic and move on?

as the owl says on the tootsie pop commercial, "The world may never know..."

I watched a stupid YouTube video earlier and got scared so....it doesn't take much at all to scare me out of my skin. So what about The Omen, good or not?

the Omen is great, in my opinion. in fact, I have plans for it to show up this month sometime!

Alright! Then I will know what you're talking about! And one last question before I take the plunge, which should I watch first?

(Oh and you didn't answer re Land of the Dead in my earlier post).

Ghost Ship is probably the least scary of those three. so maybe save it for last... something to go to bed on, ha.

maybe the Omen first, it's more of a potboiler. the other two are very action-packed, so they'll keep you awake late into the night.

so I guess my order would be: the Omen, the Descent, and then Ghost Ship.

(Oh and you didn't answer re Land of the Dead in my earlier post).
    Land of the Dead is definitely worth a watch. but I wouldn't watch it out of order. it makes a lot more sense to watch it after Day of the Dead. and it makes a lot more sense to watch Day of the Dead after Dawn of the Dead and it makes a lot more sense to watch Dawn of the Dead after Night of the Living Dead.

so that's the order. I personally feel that, like a lot of franchises, the first one is the best and it goes progressively downhill from there. in other words, watch Land of the Dead with a grain of salt and just take it for what it is: genuine zombie history.

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    so I guess my order would be: the Omen, the Descent, and then Ghost Ship.
    Ok then, The Omen it is, not sure how many I will watch tonight, I have all four movies for....7 DAYS...hahahaha!

Land of the Dead is definitely worth a watch. but I wouldn't watch it out of order. it makes a lot more sense to watch it after Day of the Dead. and it makes a lot more sense to watch Day of the Dead after Dawn of the Dead and it makes a lot more sense to watch Dawn of the Dead after Night of the Living Dead.
    Oy, I need to take notes! Night, Dawn, Day and Land. Got it.

that opening sequence of Ghost Ship is worth the price of admission alone! awesome!
    Whoa! That was something!

I finished The Omen, I thought it was great, it reminded me of The Exorcist (which is still my fave so far). Looking forward to reading what you will say about it this month. I'm not real good at analyzing movies, so I don't have much to say about it. I watched part of the Special Features, it was interesting and creepy to find out all the stuff that happened as they were filming it.

I'm going to continue watching Ghost Ship now, other two movies I will watch when I get home from work (so it's not dark out) this week.

October 7th

already 40 posts in this thread! let's keep it going by reverting back to some of our roots....

Freaks (1932)

Tod Browning, the genius who brought us Dracula (1931), gave the world this chilling masterpiece one year later.

while Freaks may seem tame to us nowadays, it was banned for quite awhile in multiple countries... mainly b/c Browning chose to use real "freaks" (not a p.c. term, I know) in his film. so yes, the human torso and pinheads in the movie are real.

the plot of the film is quite a bit like a Tales from the Crypt episode in that the horror comes from the "ironic punishment" corner of the genre. and that's all I'll say about that plot aspect.

as far as the main plot goes, the movie is about a young dwarf (little person?) who leaves his dwarf wife to be with the beautiful lady that somehow is traveling with the carnival (I think maybe she's a dancer or something). little (no pun intended) does he know, the beautiful lady is in love with circus strongman and they have conspired to have her marry the little man b/c they found out he is rich. needless to say, their evil plot doesn't work out the way they intend for it to.

be warned. although made in 1932, many people find this film too disturbing to watch.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Oy, I need to take notes! Night, Dawn, Day and Land. Got it.
    If you're game, that's the way to do it. Night and Dawn might be fine as a stand-alone movie experience (all you really need to know for Dawn is that the epidemic has been going on for a little while now, and humanity is still trying to come to grips with the situation), but Day and Land I feel would be basically meaningless to anyone who hasn't followed the entire series, and would probably be somewhat on the boring side otherwise. I will say that if nothing else, Land features the most disturbing use of a silhouette I've ever seen in a movie.

belated October 8th

hey all. sorry for the lapse yesterday. things have been crazy round these parts....
    here's what I wanted to watch yesterday:

Jaws (1975)

I can't think of a more scary rated PG movie (the reason for this was because PG-13 wasn't invented yet, but nevertheless, Jaws will always be rated PG).

I figured since it was still a little warm out, this frightening look back at summertime would be just the thing to make us glad that it's Fall.

in case you've been living under a rock, the plot for Jaws follows the small town sheriff of the tourist island town of Amity. and Sheriff Brody just so happens to be scared of water (he moved here, so he's not a true Islander). a large man-eating shark is terrorizing the shores of Amity and it's up to Sheriff Brody to stop it! (along with a young Richard Dreyfuss). they also enlist the help of Quint, played masterfully by Robert Shaw, who is a Navy vet and a killer of giant sharks (and also a cinematic hero of mine).

this movie still makes me scared to go in the water at the beach.... because you just never know what might be under you. or around you. or behind you.

great special effects and Spielberg's breakthrough film (not his first though, for that you'd hafta go back to "Duel" which is basically Jaws on land. watch the movie, you'll see what I mean).

October 9th

Beetlejuice (1988)

to lighten the mood, here's one you can enjoy with the kids. though I hafta say, I saw this when it came out (I was 11 yrs old) and my friends and I left the theatre completely baffled by what we had just seen.

seriously. what did Tim Burton do to get a major film studio to produce this weird little flick (which actually turned out to be a surprise hit)? sand worms? a ghostly marriage counselor who exhales through a gash in her throat? calypso music? it all just seems way too high-risk for Hollywood. yet here it is, in all its glory: Michael Keaton at his obnoxious best (though for a movie titled after his character, he doesn't play a large role, if you ask me), tramping around a model cemetary, scratching himself and spitting and burping his way into 1980's Reagan suburbia!

nothing but pure fun here... with a Halloween-y sort of edge.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i love Tim Burton!!! and its even better when you add in johnny depp!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast