Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss the7thAve's 31 MORE Days of Halloween!!! in the Community Center forums; Trilogy of Terror (1975) I don't know if anyone loves anthology films as much as I do, but if they do, they have definitely seen this. Originally made for television, ...
    the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

October 11

Trilogy of Terror (1975)

I don't know if anyone loves anthology films as much as I do, but if they do, they have definitely seen this.

Originally made for television, this little gem has worked its claws up the ladder and into genuine cult status, mainly on the strength of legendary scream queen Karen Black's performance as 4 different women in 3 stories. you read that right: there are only 3 stories and Karen Black is in all of them, and appears twice in one of them!

and as we all know, the little Zuni doll that has graced the cover of every video release of this movie is now an underground horror icon.

there really is something about anthology films. they move fast (because, face it, if you've only got 20 mins to squeeze in plot hook, exposition and climax, ya gotta drive on at a fairly good clip) and for some reason, they just give me the feeling that I'm being told stories. Stephen King once wrote that if a novel is a love affair, then a movie is a one night stand. well, if a whole movie is a one night stand then each of these stories feel like one quick, albeit a bit on the dirty side, dance.

in other words, pure guilty pleasure. enjoy!

If we can dream it, we can do it

October 12

Hellraiser (1987)

I know I talked at length earlier in this thread about this movie, but I just wanted it to officially be on the list.

yet another movie that would not be made by a major Hollywood studio today, Hellraiser broke so many taboos it's hard to keep count. necrophilia, cannibalism, abberant sexuality of all types (sometimes implied), etc. all make an appaearance in one form or another. and not only did Hollywood make this movie, but it was a legitimate hit! it's hard to believe now, but there was a period of time when "Pinhead" was in the same ranks of popularity as Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, and Freddy Krueger!

for a mainstream horror flick, Hellraiser tops all of those guys in violence and sheer aggresiveness and brutality. though not as violent as a lot of exploitation flicks, the Hellraiser series (the first two are outstanding, the third is ok, but it's best to ignore the rest) achieves a sense of mythos not found in the majority of horror films. and, to me, it's this curious puzzle box, and the questions around it, that give the series its depth and overall feeling of the classic "fear of the unknown."

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I got Beetlejuice! Very happy about that. That's the "horrorest" it will get this weekend as I have the kids home with me. Last thing I want is them waking up to screams and hollers and creepy music from whatever I am watching. Plenty of time for that when they get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    I got Beetlejuice! Very happy about that. That's the "horrorest" it will get this weekend as I have the kids home with me. Last thing I want is them waking up to screams and hollers and creepy music from whatever I am watching. Plenty of time for that when they get older.
    how old are they? I'm not suggesting this, but I saw most of these movies when they came out, which would put me around the "12 and under" set. of course, I didn't sleep for weeks at a time. but now I'm a well-adjusted grown-up! well, moderately so anyway.

oh, and Beetlejuice was on my "top 5 favorite movies of all time" list for a long time.

They fit in the 5 and under category. They watch PotC movies and Scooby Doo movies so monsters and skeletons are ok, I won't push it though.

They fit in the 5 and under category. They watch PotC movies and Scooby Doo movies so monsters and skeletons are ok, I won't push it though.
    probly a good call. Beetlejuice is about as far as I would push it. it even has some stuff that may be too intense. it's PG-13 (American mpaa, whom I usually hate, but that's another story), right?

We will watch it tomorrow during the day, so it's not right before bed, juuuuust in case. I'll keep you posted on their reactions.

We will watch it tomorrow during the day, so it's not right before bed, juuuuust in case. I'll keep you posted on their reactions.

please do.

I mean they watch BTILC and all the Indy movies, even the guy that melts doesn't freak out my oldest so it might not be that bad.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    In a way, that kind of annoys me, Caroline. As a little guy, much as I hated the bad guys, watching them melt/implode/explode at the conclusion was something I always made sure I covered my eyes and ears for--the same way it will always bother me when I see/hear kids under five who are in no way, shape nor form disturbed by The Haunted Mansion.

Well you saw his reaction to the HM...asked him each time we walk passed it if he wanted to ride again and what did he say? No thanks. The HM spooked him good. And let's not even bring up the Tower of Terror! That boiler room was just too much for him to handle. So he's not that jaded, don't worry.

October 13th

Dead Heat (1988)

What do you get when you cross a buddy-cop movie with a zombie movie??? Joe Piscopo!!!!

Joe Piscopo and Treat Williams (which, I gotta say, is one of the most 80's tag teams I have seen since Crockett and Tubbs) play cops who are on the trail of a crime spree, only to find out that the crime spree is being perpetrated by zombies! someone has figured out a way to bring the dead back to life and has also figured out how to make them do his/her bidding! Treat Williams dies early on, but thankfully gets brought back to life.... but he's on a short leash b/c he only has a small amount of time till he completely rots.

I don't know if that sounds funny or not, but it is. and don't feel assured by the comedy, this flick actually has some decent scary moments.

We just finished Beetlejuice, great great stuff, I still crack up at the Banana Boat dinner party. The kids enjoyed it too, at the beginning the oldest kept asking me what was going on, had to explain to him that they were ghosts. I made sure to laugh to lighten the mood whenever it got a little intense (Beetlesnake bit for one). They want to watch it again so I think it was a hit.

We just finished Beetlejuice, great great stuff, I still crack up at the Banana Boat dinner party. The kids enjoyed it too, at the beginning the oldest kept asking me what was going on, had to explain to him that they were ghosts. I made sure to laugh to lighten the mood whenever it got a little intense (Beetlesnake bit for one). They want to watch it again so I think it was a hit.
    good! I'm glad you all had a great time with it!

I've noticed, through the years, that there are apparently several different cuts of this film. I originally had a vhs tape from Warner Family Home Entertainment that completely cut out some of Beetlejuice's more repellant antics. Nowadays I have a dvd edition that is uncut (I think).

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast