Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Tinker Bell's Fabulous Home Makeover in the Community Center forums; Kerry (Cinderella2) gave me the idea to start a thread so I could show you what I will be doing to fix up my little house, it's a good idea ...
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Tinker Bell's Fabulous Home Makeover

Kerry (Cinderella2) gave me the idea to start a thread so I could show you what I will be doing to fix up my little house, it's a good idea since I can get some opinions before I start a project and maybe inspire others to fix up their own homes or do little projects. I plan on doing most of the stuff myself with some help from family and friends. I have a long to do list but most of the jobs are painting so it won't be so bad.

Little background on the house, it's a small country cottage, one floor, age unknown but I've been hearing that the original house was probably built in the 60s and then extended a bit from the back a few feet and the living room was added on later. It musta been a tiny house before any of the additions, let me tell you. It's a two bedroom, one bath. Walls are all painted paneling and from what I've seen the kitchen cabinets have been painted white, green, yellow and red so far. They won't stay red very long, I'm thinking back to white but we'll get back to the kitchen later. This house was probably used as a second home and not as a primary residence back in the day. Today more and more people are scooping up these little places and calling them home. I love it up there, it's so peaceful and pretty. I also have access to a lake so that will be nice in the summer. So it's not a house on the beach but I do own part of a little beach, it's a start.

So back to business, first on the list is the boys room, it's tiny, they have to share it and there is a closet in there that needs to go and the access to the attic space needs to be redone. With those two things gone it will be a big improvement space wise. There is a pull-out couch in there that couldn't come out unless the door and frame were removed so now I just need someone to help me get it out of there. I might try to do that by myself today, we'll see what happens. Not sure if I can flip the couch vertically, I've been working out but pull-outs are heavy and stuff.

Once the closet and attic access are removed/redone then the floor, ceiling and wall will have to be fixed, not sure how I will fix that, we'll just have to see in what shape those are in afterwards. What I do know is that I want to put a chair rail around the room and paint the bottom part of the walls white and the top light blue. Light colors make rooms appear bigger so that will also help. There is a beam that runs across the room painted mustard yellow, ugh, I can't wait to see it painted white. I am going for a beach look, the celings and beams will all be clean white and I would like to use light blues and greens. My street name translates to "palm tree lane" so that also inspired me to go with beachy.

So here is a way before shot of the bedroom (with the previous owners things in there). Second job will be the bathroom, I am just over yellow and there was so much stuff on the walls that it's full of holes, I see lots of filling and sanding in my future before I can start painting. Again, tiny room which doubles as the laundry room. In here I am not sure what color I'll go with, my shower curtain is creamy white, accessories will be pewter and my towels are milk chocolate brown. So either a light turquoise sea green (love that with brown) or a beige color. The floor is white tile so that goes with everything. Future project is removing the plain vanity and installing a pedestal sink to gain more space but that might mean retiling the floor so we'll see. Would also mean less storage...which would not be good. I have lotsa stuff to store but I could use the laundry cabinet for that. I was thinking of hanging a curtain in there, it would separate the washer and dryer from the bathroom, something sheer enough to let natural light in. I wonder if I could find appliques I could use to cover thef floral tiles in the shower, not crazy about those.

I will take pictures today of the two rooms with all the stuff gone, already an improvement!
    Last edited by Tinker Bell; 07-16-2010 at 11:53 PM.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Coolness, VP... I can't wait for you to get started also... I was just wondering. In the boys room, that beam you have there, did you ever think to paint it another color... Seeing that it's the boys room. Make it a little funky for them... But the white is cool also. LOL..... You'd be surprise what some paint and a chair rail will do to a room....
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

AJ asked for dark blue walls because he would like a space theme, we agreed to go light blue so that it looks bigger but to add space wall clings (which I have to find) and glow in the dark stars for the ceiling. I love white beams, good idea to decorate it though. Reminds me, I have to see if Sears still carries the quilts with the planets on them. Right now they have army comforters with planes, tanks and jeeps.

Yay! They do!

Gonna order a couple of these.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    WOW and I thot my place was small. lol I agree with Butlers (can ya believe that? lol) the beam could be a different shade for contrast. If you are going to do the glow in the dark stars (look for them at 1$ stores--cheaper) you could do I like I did for Meghyn's and instead of only just sticking them up on the ceiling. I took some thread(reg thread, nothing fancy) and used small pieces of packing tape to hold the thread to the star then another piece to stick the thread to the ceiling. Looks really neat when the heater comes on and blows them around in the dark. Makes them look like they are twinkling like real stars.

I like the idea of the sheer to separate the laundry and bath areas. Take the bar the hangers are on and move it over to where you would hang it. It would open up that space more. Maybe you can get one of those upper lower type washer dryer combos to save room in there. Either that or shove that dryer up against the wall more...corner angled stuff takes up too much space. I dont like the weird shower stall flowers either YICK! Maybe you can find some sort of waterproof sticky paper to cover the whole tile up with to make it more uniform and illusionally larger.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

I was thinking of reusing that same bar for the sheer, smart minds! That washer and dryer she left for me, I have a new set that I am taking with me so I can't justify buying a stackable set! I just wouldn't make my money back if I tried to sell the ones I have now. I was thinking of getting a wall heater instead, that way I could stick the dryer against the wall facing the washer. Plus, the baseboard heater had burned a hole in the dryer vent so the whole room is covered in lint...Oh, another thing, I need my electrician friend to run me a 220 plug so that I can use my dryer...the one in there is a regular plug. The rest of the house is larger, those are the two smallest rooms. You'll see later.

Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    WOW and I thot my place was small. lol I agree with Butlers (can ya believe that? lol)
    You are SSOOOOOO not funny!!!!!!

I saw the baseboard heater in the pic. Figured that was why it was angle but wasnt sure. I cant stand those things...you cant put anything in front of them or it defeats the pupose and they take up sooooooo much space along the baseboards. You should see about getting the wall heater put into the actual bath area since your dryer is in that section it will generate heat itself. Maybe the kind you can close off when not needed or just a space heater(waterproof) to put under the pedestool type sink you want. I dont like the cabinet kind either, they hide stuff but take up space and you tend to stub your toe on them.

LOL about the bar thing. Maybe you can store towels and linens above the washer on a shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    AJ asked for dark blue walls because he would like a space theme, we agreed to go light blue so that it looks bigger but to add space wall clings (which I have to find) and glow in the dark stars for the ceiling. I love white beams, good idea to decorate it though. Reminds me, I have to see if Sears still carries the quilts with the planets on them. Right now they have army comforters with planes, tanks and jeeps.

Okay, cool! I was just suggesting the colored beam. And if you would paint it a different color other than white. A color in the spread would set it off nicely
    Gonna order a couple of these.
    yep....there you go... The planets and stars are goona look nice hanging from the ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by butlers View Post
    You are SSOOOOOO not funny!!!!!!
    Who me? I find myself very hilarious at times. But that is just a matter of opinion now isnt it?

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Looks great Caroline! The small funky lake cottage is right up my ally! Did you buy it? Or just renting?

Is the attic large enough to double as a third bedroom for one of the boys?

I am way into home decorating (although I can never actually afford to do much) so if you want to bounce any ideas off me I'd love to help

Any pics of the outside?
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

You know Meg, that's the case with a lot of us.....

I love colors? But i have a roommate {my wonderful husband} that isn't so clean on color. Even if it's a light light yellow,you know the kind where you have to use a magnifying glass to see it's actually NOT white... He'd love it, if all the furniture where white as well, but with 4 kids, that's not happening any time soon.

But, one day - i'm going to paint the walls..... Maybe i'll wait until the twins are older and my husband is at work.... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    Who me? I find myself very hilarious at times. But that is just a matter of opinion now isnt it?
    Yes, you're down right hilarious

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!

There is a pull-out couch in there that couldn't come out unless the door and frame were removed so now I just need someone to help me get it out of there. !
    Can you say "chain saw"?
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    Looks great Caroline! The small funky lake cottage is right up my ally! Did you buy it? Or just renting?

Is the attic large enough to double as a third bedroom for one of the boys?

I am way into home decorating (although I can never actually afford to do much) so if you want to bounce any ideas off me I'd love to help

Any pics of the outside?
    I bought it....yikes, what did I get myself into...nothing to be done with the attic space unfortunately. I will be on a tight budget too so we can definitely swap ideas.

Here is an outside shot, even the landscaping needs help but that will be next year.
    Not sure how much I will get done today, the boys are more than hyper, I have a headache and my patience level is at zero. I am thinking I will bring some lamps and frames over and call it a day. Maybe measure the laundry area some more. There is a cabinet already there that I can use to store my products and there is a shelf below it where I can store rolled up towels, that'll work for now.
    Last edited by Tinker Bell; 07-16-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast