Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Old Town Old Trip Report in the Community Center forums; Every occasion I pass by the giant orange and notice the sign proudly declaring SINCE 1992, it's a grim reminder to me of how with this particular nabe, that actually ...
    Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Every occasion I pass by the giant orange and notice the sign proudly declaring SINCE 1992, it's a grim reminder to me of how with this particular nabe, that actually is saying something.

Further down the road some years back, I stumbled upon the derelict shell of what was once Xanadu (Home of The Future), and it nearly broke my heart.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    I would have loved to have seen Xanadu, but that was before my time

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    Made me think of all these things !!
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    Florida's Lost Tourist Attractions

good trip report! Have you seen this website? It's all about the tourist traps in FL.

That chair thing is crazy. It looks like you hold onto those metal bars and get shocked and your score depends on how long you can hold on. how do I know that? there was once a game in arcades in the early 90s that was exactly the same thing, except you didn't get a nice chair to sit in, you had to stand up while getting the bejeezus shocked out of you.

and I would totally pay to see a mannequin get electrocuted.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Years back, I had befriended the staff at the walk-through haunted house attraction in Old Town, and I remember when they installed that dummy in the mock electric chair as the very last room of the attraction. It was the hot prop for the haunted attraction business of the 1995-96 era (an identical set-up was used over at "Skull Kingdom" on International Drive across from the Wet 'N Wild). In a pitch black room, that thing suddenly being illuminated by strobe lighting and jumping to life; thrashing around and screaming with the head slamming the seat back with a disturbingly realistic thudding was enough to make even the bravest customers void their bowels if they had no idea what was coming.

My guess is the condemned either was phased out due to better horror entertainment technology, or else word of mouth had ruined the shock value and he wound up transferring to the arcade; where he could still at least raise a few bucks performing on demand.

(EDIT: thanks to T's link, I know now that Skull Kingdom has joined the ranks of defunct attractions in 2006.)
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 04-29-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Scratch one thought.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    You would have to pay me big bucks to get me inside one of those haunted house places.

The site doesn't have Mystery Fun House on there, that used to be my favorite tourist trap ever. I've been to a few on the list though, and it's a shame to see some of them close down. Some of them are understandable but some were really neat and sad to see go. I was lucky enough to visit the Guiness Experience (the upsidedown pyramid building on I-drive if it's still standing) and was an interesting attraction that took you through the different world records similar to Ripley's style, but was more interactive and more immersive and had several preshows you're pretty much required to go through that divides the attraction's rooms, starting off with the first preshow that told the story of how Guiness started it's book of records from a bar fight about the longest strand of spahghetti (I think that's right?) and then from there, they shrink you down to size so you can then go through their computer database and participate in a multiple choice quiz and explore the rest of their "database" with world records in the tech field. Then you move on to the next preshow that then brings you back to normal size and stops at a few record locations before ending up inside a space shuttle (neat rotating tunnel effect) and then you're in the main room I assume, it's the largest room with the most factual stuff that looks like holds the rest of the records. Finally, you enter a stadium seating style motion theatre and you go through a cool ride through other records I'm guessing weren't mentioned throughout the rest of the attraction. The whole experience was truely unique and it's a shame it's closed down though. Would be nice to have a couple more pop up like this nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    You would have to pay me big bucks to get me inside one of those haunted house places.
    They're not all that bad, just keep thinking it's some UCF theatre major in a costume making min. wage that CANNOT touch you at all for obvious reasons. If you do go, go with a crowd and play the game of "know where the creeps pop out" by paying attention to hiding places and other areas just around the corner. They usually will attack those who are often looking at the "distractions" which would be part of the scenary or another character that is just there that just stares at you, that's usually a good set up for a good scare.

I would definitely need someone to hold my hand and have one arm around me. I scare myself in my own house when it's dark, you have no idea what this house could do to me.

Keeping the crowds distracted and while an co-conspirator pops up to scream hello is simple but can be very effective. My senior year, the drama club opted to take part in a Halloween spookhouse fundraiser, and we were blessed enough to be assigned the last room before customers spilled back out into the carnival area. It was as easy as keeping the room pitch black with just enough light in the middle to let passersby see a casket on an altar with three hooded figures kneeling in prayer before the box. While there was someone inside for the sole purpose of shaking the casket just enough to keep their attention there in anticipation of a nasty jack-in-the-box trick and inspiring them to get up against the wall and quickly scurry to the clearly marked exit, that's when one or two previously unannounced drama geeks in masks would say hi.

No joke--that night we had to start a sort of impromptu lost and found service from all the purses that were being dropped in the mad scramble for the door.

That is hilarious! I would have been one of those purse dropping ladies.

Ah, the reasons why I loved working at some haunted event at a theme park nearby. I miss those horror filled nights of halloween

Gae, is Kev still giving you grief about Disney World? This from the man who tried to convince anyone who'd listen that Chuck E. Cheese was "just as good" and justified the comparison with the choice of a mouse mascot? Give me a break. Few rodents can match the wholesomeness of Mickey. Chuck E. Cheese seems, well--sleazy. He looks like the child of Minnie Mouse and Dennis Franz.

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    Gae, is Kev still giving you grief about Disney World? This from the man who tried to convince anyone who'd listen that Chuck E. Cheese was "just as good" and justified the comparison with the choice of a mouse mascot? Give me a break. Few rodents can match the wholesomeness of Mickey. Chuck E. Cheese seems, well--sleazy. He looks like the child of Minnie Mouse and Dennis Franz.
    There's a slight chance you might be posting in the wrong thread

I thought so too at first but I think he is referring to a post SnwNdwrfs earlier on this thread. (I think).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast