Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Oh deer.... in the Community Center forums; I just had to share what happened to me Friday morning! On the way home from dropping Parker off at school I was coming back down the road I live ...

Oh deer....

I just had to share what happened to me Friday morning! On the way home from dropping Parker off at school I was coming back down the road I live on and I glanced over to the ground next to the sidewalk and noticed a baby deer laying there. I seriously had to look twice because I thought it was one of those little statue things, but it would have been a very odd place for one to be. So after I pulled into my driveway I got my Mom and Tanner out of the house and we walked over and this is what we found...

Isn't he just the cutest thing you've ever seen? Tanner was running around yelling "hey everyone, we've got a reindeer out here!" It was too cute! I used to have a baby deer when I was growing up that we raised, but he was probably about 3 weeks old when we got him. This little one was brand new! He was still wet on his back. I called the police and when the officer arrived he told me that a doe had been killed right on our road about 30 yards from where we found the fawn that morning a little after 6 AM. So then I asked if we could keep him! My Mom was heading back up North later that evening and her and my Dad have had a lot of experience raising wild animals including deer. The police officer called back in to dispatch and he was told that we would have to be a licensed care giver for wild animals. He even made a comment after he finished saying "You have to have a license to raise a deer that won't survive without his Mother, yet anyone can have kids!" Ain't that the truth! Anyways....he told me that if the lady coming to pick the deer up didn't show up within 20 minutes that he would leave and we could do whatever we felt was necessary. Well....unfortunately, she showed up in time and took him away. Tanner was so upset and crying. I would have loved for my boys to have experienced watching the little fawn grow like I was able to growing up. Oh well...as long as he is being taken care of that's all I wanted.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    What a precious animal! So sorry you all couldn't keep him.

I know...I thought for a brief moment that we were going to have our very own Bambi II! Tanner is still sad about it.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    AWWWWW..it is so cute and so very tiny. Poor baby. Friends of ours have a pet deer They had to get special permission from the game commision to keep her because pretty much no where would take her. She is about 1.5 years old now and is leash trained and sleeps on the foot of their bed and is a bit of a bed and blanket hog. So funny to see pics of her lying on the bed. At least someplace wanted the one you found Dreamer.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    AWWWWW..it is so cute and so very tiny. Poor baby. Friends of ours have a pet deer They had to get special permission from the game commision to keep her because pretty much no where would take her. She is about 1.5 years old now and is leash trained and sleeps on the foot of their bed and is a bit of a bed and blanket hog. So funny to see pics of her lying on the bed. At least someplace wanted the one you found Dreamer.
    Yep, when I was growing up the same thing happened to us. My Dad was out on backroads for work and he saw the Mother get hit, when he brought Bambi home to us he was about 3 weeks old. We fed him out of baby bottles and kept him in a little baby pack n play type thing. As he got older he preferred P&B sandwiches and bananas to baby formula! lol He used to come up on our deck and open our sliding door to let himself in the house. The older he got the less he would come back to the house. But we had him in our lives for about 2 years. It was a wonderful experience! I should scan some of those old pictures in and post them sometime!

peanut is offline NOOTS!

..so...precious....

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    How sweat - the poor little dear deer!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Awwwwwwwww, how cute!!!!
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Hey Melis - thanks for sharing the photos and info! I'm sure deer are orphaned more commonly than we realize. Yep - here in OH you've got to have a Wildlife Rehabilitator licence and spring is a really busy time for them. I like the officer's comment! Licences for human parents - I love it. Have to have one to simply drive down the road... We've got all these different laws, yet not too far away from me there's an auction about every 3-4 months where anyone - no questions asked - can buy anything exotic depending on the 'season': wolf, lion, bear, monkey, exotic frog, etc etc.

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Awww he's so cute. He looks so sad though laying there, I bet wondering where his mom was. Glad to know he found a new and loving home where someone will take care of him.

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Assuming that you live out in the country a bit, have you given some thought to getting a license so you could be ready for the next time this occurs - especially since you've had some experience raising a wild animal? Did you get the name of the woman who came in hopes of coming by to visit the deer?
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    Hey Melis - thanks for sharing the photos and info! I'm sure deer are orphaned more commonly than we realize. Yep - here in OH you've got to have a Wildlife Rehabilitator licence and spring is a really busy time for them. I like the officer's comment! Licences for human parents - I love it. Have to have one to simply drive down the road... We've got all these different laws, yet not too far away from me there's an auction about every 3-4 months where anyone - no questions asked - can buy anything exotic depending on the 'season': wolf, lion, bear, monkey, exotic frog, etc etc.
    Hi Craig! Long time no talk! Hope all is well with you and the family!

Yep...that's what they called it, a Wildlife Rehabilitator License. The lady who picked the fawn up even said it was number 6 in the last 2 weeks for her! Yeah, I thought it was funny that the police officer made those comments too, but it's so true!

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    Assuming that you live out in the country a bit, have you given some thought to getting a license so you could be ready for the next time this occurs - especially since you've had some experience raising a wild animal? Did you get the name of the woman who came in hopes of coming by to visit the deer?

I do not live anywhere close to the country Virginia, that's why it was such a surprise. My Mom was here visiting and she would have been taking him home. She lives in the middle of nowhere country! lol

I was planning on getting the ladies information, but she wasn't the friendliest, warmest person I've ever met. She was actually a bit rude and short when she showed up. She treated us like we were idiots (city folk) who didn't have a clue what it meant to raise a 'wild animal' then when the police officer told her that my Mom works for the Antrim County Police Department and that she had raised deer in the past she said "Where are you from???" My Mom replied and then the lady said "This is an Oakland County deer and it must stay in Oakland County!" Don't get that, but whatever. I just hope the little one does well.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Oh goodness, is he a cutie or what? But, I'll have to agree, he looks so terribly sad without his mommy. Poor little fella was probably hungry also. I'm glad that the woman did come and pick him up, and prayerfully he's being taken care of wonderfully. That would have been a neat experience if you guys could have kept him. Just think of all the milk you would get to buy then!
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Melis that baby deer is so danr precious!! Seeing the title of the thread I thought you were going to say you hit a deer. But I am glad to see that is not the case! Thanks so much for sharing the story and photos.. Your little baby next to the baby deer is too cute!! He looks so darn happy to be next to it. hehehe
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Poor baby. (I meant Tanner.)
    They call me "Nana"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast