Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Teen killed by coaster at Six Flags in the Community Center forums; What a terrible tragedy, although it would appear that six flags is not at fault SC teen struck, killed by Six Flags coaster in Ga. - Yahoo! News...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

Teen killed by coaster at Six Flags

What a terrible tragedy, although it would appear that six flags is not at fault

SC teen struck, killed by Six Flags coaster in Ga. - Yahoo! News
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Even though this story is very disturbing, I don't feel sorry for the kid at all. It's sad that someone had to get their head chopped off, but they should have known better when they're 1) entering a restricted area 2) disregarding all warning signs 3) climbing over TWO 6 foot tall fences, and as they say in baseball, 3 strikes, you're out.

On another note, this is just me ranting late at night, but I find it amusing how the news likes to keep bringing things up that have already happened, and this story is no exception. They've brought up the poor girl who's legs were severed from the drop tower ride at another Six Flags and an update of what happened since. I still feel horrible for the girl and her family because they're just an average family visiting an amusement park for thrills, and their ride breaks with them on it.

So, after all my rambling on and not really wondering what else I'm talking about, the clear morale of the story is don't lick toads, and read and obey all rules and warning signs.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder
    While I'm sad for his family I have to say how stupid can you be. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but the rules and warning signs are there for a reason.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree (to a certain extent), albino_pygmy. Yes, he should have never jumped over those two fences. I also agree that he should have never entered the restricted area. However, I do feel bad for the kid. He made a mistake that took away his life. Yes, he made a few wrong decisions that can be noted as idiotic, but it is still terrible that he lost his life.

I'm not saying that people who work at the park should be trained better to prevent this from happening, because these people -seem- to know what they are doing. But I will say that they should put more security in those places or do something so this won't occur again. Have you ever seen the people who work those rides? I don't mean to knock any of them because most of those people seem enthusiastic, intelligent, and hard-working people. But then you get those very few who could care less and THAT is when something like this can happen.

Now, hiring more security would cost more, but that would prevent these terrible accidents.

Then again, how many stupid people are there in the world that the highest rank of security wouldn't be able to control.....

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

It seems that Six Flags took all necc. precautions and that the fault lies with the young men who jumped the fence BUT we have all done really stupid things in our lives (Lord knows I have!) and it is always tragic when one stupid, really really stupid, decision, ends a life. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with his friends and family

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

What more can Six Flags do? The've got TWO fences and signs saying DANGER and RESTRICTED AREA. Think about it this way, what if this happened at Disney? Someone goes backstage sneaking around doing something incredibly stupid, would Disney be to blame even if they have signs saying Castmembers only or Restricted area, or even Danger: Keep away? I've worked for a couple theme parks, and know my way in and out of the parks and I do have to say it is pretty easy to 'sneak backstage' without people noticing. Now I know yoy might say "well, that's because you work there" and that's really not the case. My point is that I did walk backstage once while looking like a tacky tourist just to see if anyone would stop me (I was on my way to pick up some comp tickets btw) and nobody. I even acted "lost" and asked for directions, and still nothing, not even asking to see ID. I'm not sure if anyone saw him jump the fences other than his friends, but if they did, I'm sure they would have said something and made sure he was out of there because that's just plain common sense, someone in a dangerous area, you get them out asap. As for me going backstage, that wasn't 'dangerous' so probably wasn't that big of a deal to most people and why nobody stopped me and wondered what I was doing. I would have rather been asked to show some ID a couple times if I'm not in costume with a nametag than to be let free backstage to get into where ever I please. I didn't mention this before in the above post, thought I have, but it was late and I was rambling like I am now, lol, but I do feel sorry for his family and friends and those who had to see him go like that, losing his head like that must have been really difficult to watch. I'm just thankful those riding the coaster weren't hurt due to his stupidity, and I could ramble on about how stupid people harm others, but I've got things to do today

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    What a terrible, terrible accident... I think i'll have to agree with Meg in saying that, I don't believe it was the parks fault.. HELLOOOO!! Why in the world would you EVEN want to go around a ride going at a top speed of 50 MPH in the first place. I pray his friends didn't put him up to it, and on a dare... I have done some stupid things as a teenager, especially if a double dog dare was in force.. But this, I would have just been called a sissy. If you are in a car accident going 50mph, you could get seriously hurt.... I pray for this boys family and his friends who had to witness this horrible accident
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World
    I found out about this incident this morning. It is really sad. However, the kid really should have known better. I mean it's common sense not to be jumping fenses and ignoring WARNING signs. There is a reason that they have those things there. Still, it's a very depressing story and I do feel sorry for the kid and his family.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    When I read it I felt bad but at the same time thought to myself "if he was there with his parents... where were they when all this happened??" Yes it's horrible and I cannot imagine the grief they are all experiencing but as was said above, Six Flags did their part here. Scaling two six-foot fences and passing signs saying it's dangerous to go beyond them... for a hat? The even more sad part is, I'm sure his family is planning their lawsuit as we type.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Apparently he and his friend left the park to get something to eat and were on theirway back into the park when the incident happened.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    The even more sad part is, I'm sure his family is planning their lawsuit as we type.

You are probablly right...I really hate that as a society we have become so litigious. If anything ever happened to my son (and the mere thought of anything happening to him is enough to send me into a full blown panic) I cannot imagine a situation wherein I would sue. If someone hurt him intentionally I would kill them with my bare hands....but an accident is an accident...and money cannot bring people back. I don't see how you could put a price on that kind of loss - and trying to do so just seems wrong.

Now, if someone were injured becuase of a genuine neglect or malpractice then the guilty party should cover medical bills..but beyond that it just seems greed driven and, for lack of a better word, tacky.

Stepping down from my soap box now

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    The early morning report on this indicated the two youths thought it would be fun to grab someone's arm or leg as they went past. They did not think thru this action, or they may have considered that anyone on a coaster going that fast could suffer damage. I agree with BamaJenn, where were the parents? It will be interesting to see how fast lawmakers try to "pass a law", like the fences weren't enough, and how fast the parents try to sue. Six Flags took every reasonable measure, but you cannot protect everyone from them selves.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

I've heard another story that he was trying to impress some girls now. So, what's the real story, were they trying to get their hats back? Were they trying to use an unofficial short cut back into the park from their picnic in the parking lot? Were they trying to grab their friends feet? What really happened?

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Are they getting this information from the people/friends that they were standing with at the time or are they just making assumptions? (Just curious) Because if their friends are providing this information, then they must have had something to do with it if they were there as it happened. Then again, I don't know. Everybody knows how the media either twists information or makes mistakes with the information that they were given. Oh, don't even get me started with the media...

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT