Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss New Virus Out...Be Careful in the Community Center forums; I got the virus email a couple of days ago. I didn't open it because it was in my spam folder and I knew that I didn't order anything. Below ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Exclamation New Virus Out...Be Careful

I got the virus email a couple of days ago. I didn't open it because it was in my spam folder and I knew that I didn't order anything. Below is the email that my cousin sent me:

>
    > Subject: Fw: Virus Warning - checked this out it is real
    > Size: 14 KB
    >
    > I checked at Snopes.com & they said this is a real viruslast updated July 14,
    > Subject: Virus Warning - checked this out it is real
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Attention Virus Warning
    >
    > We have become aware there is a fraudulent e-mail being sent that says it is coming from UPS and leads the reader to believe that a UPS shipment could not be delivered. The reader is advised to open an attachment reportedly containing a waybill for the shipment to be picked up.
    >
    > This e-mail attachment contains a virus. We recommend that you do not open the attachment, but delete the e-mail immediately.
    >
    > UPS may send official notification messages on occasion, but they rarely include attachments. If you receive a notification message that includes an attachment and are in doubt about its authenticity, please contact customerservice@ups.com.
    >
    > Please note that UPS takes its customer relationships very seriously, but cannot take responsibility for the unauthorized actions of third parties.
    >
    > Thank you for your attention.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

KingJamesUT is offline The Hakuna Kahuna
    Wow, thanks. You saved me. I'm expecting a package from UPS that I would have fallen for that easily.
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'87, '89, '90, '93, '94, '99, '01, '05, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for the heads up Adam!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Thanks for warning Adam, can you only get a virus if you open up an attachment or can you get one from just opening the e-mail itself??
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    Thanks for warning Adam, can you only get a virus if you open up an attachment or can you get one from just opening the e-mail itself??
    I'm no expert, but from the way I understand it, you should be safe just opening the email. A virus, like any other computer program, needs to be run on your computer. And simply opening the email will not allow the virus onto your computer. But as soon as you download the attachment containing the virus onto your computer, then you are vulnerable.

If anyone is more knowledgeable than I and can add to or correct anything I just said, feel free. I'm strictly a "know enough to get by" computer guy. Hardly a techno-whiz.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    As far as I know UPS usually doesn't send e-mails about packages, but when they do it won't contain attachments. Here is UPS's warning:

Attention Virus Warning

We have become aware there is a fraudulent email being sent that says it is coming from UPS and leads the reader to believe that a UPS shipment could not be delivered. The reader is advised to open an attachment reportedly containing a waybill for the shipment to be picked up.

This e-mail attachment contains a virus. We recommend that you do not open the attachment, but delete the email immediately.

UPS may send official notification messages on occasion, but they rarely include attachments. If you receive a notification message that includes an attachment and are in doubt about its authenticity, please contact customerservice@ups.com.

Please note that UPS takes its customer relationships very seriously, but cannot take responsibility for the unauthorized actions of third parties.

Thank you for your attention.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I opened the email and it was harmless but I DID NOT open the attachment. I just checked the email b/c some of my emails go to the spam folder.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    I'm no expert, but from the way I understand it, you should be safe just opening the email. A virus, like any other computer program, needs to be run on your computer. And simply opening the email will not allow the virus onto your computer. But as soon as you download the attachment containing the virus onto your computer, then you are vulnerable.

If anyone is more knowledgeable than I and can add to or correct anything I just said, feel free. I'm strictly a "know enough to get by" computer guy. Hardly a techno-whiz.
    Thanks Don
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!