Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Disfriends is Closing!! in the Community Center forums; From Disfriends site: Less than a year after debuting DisFriends to the world, I've decided that it's best to close up shop. I will be shutting down by October 1. ...

Disfriends is Closing!!

From Disfriends site:

Less than a year after debuting DisFriends to the world, I've decided that it's best to close up shop. I will be shutting down by October 1.

If you have an account on DisFriends, you can be assured that all information will be deleted and will not be sold or given to a third party. If you are concerned, you may edit your profile to remove what you like ahead of the closing date.

Why is DisFriends closing?

There are lots of reasons really, but it all comes down to time. When I started working on DisFriends a year ago, my life was different. My job was more or less 9-5 and I had an infant who really wasn't too interactive yet. Shortly after DisFriends debuted, my job started taking a lot more of my time. With my son getting older, giving up time with him and my wife to work on DisFriends has become harder to do especially when work takes up so much time.

Some have offered to volunteer as moderaters, promoters, etc. and I'm really appreciative of that. I do understand that having helpers is the only way that a site like this can succeed. But this would only fill the short-term need. I would want to grow DisFriends into something so much more than it is now. Unfortunately, the social network application I chose has required heavy customization to make it work like I want and it will continue to require custom programming to make almost any enhancement I want. Today, there are newer, more flexible social networking packages available and I'd almost want to start over again. But then there's that time thing again.

Another factor is that my ISP has threatened to pull the plug soon if I don't upgrade to a dedicated server (it seems that they don't like the number of files that are stored or something like that).

For these reasons and others (including the endless spammers and abuse by kids) I've decided to fold the site.

Thank you so much to everyone I've met both through the site and in-person at MouseFest and MagicMeets. Thanks to those of you who have believed in me and my dream of what DisFriends could be. Special thanks to Beci at Mouse Fan Travel for sponsoring the site and providing encouragement. If you haven't yet used the services of Mouse Fan Travel, I encourage you to do so, they really are a class act with top-notch service.

Best wishes everyone,

Trent

I'm bummed about this. It was a fun site to go on and leave messages for my friends. I guess everyone will have to find each other on Facebook now.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm sure all those kids made his decision a lot simpler to make to shutter the site
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder
    Boy that really stinks. I though Disfriends was a great site.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I agree with harra, those kid's ruined it.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Oh yeah! The kids definately ruined it. That's why it got to the point that I didn't want to check it as much as I usually do.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Bigbear1 is offline A-Ticket holder
    sorry to see it closed down maybe someone can get it started again with the same format.
    Greeting from Singapore

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Well, maybe we can absorb some of theirs and then we will all have more friends. Sad to see a good site closing, but..... what can you do?
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    The "new" Disfriends site is up and running.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Bigbear1 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I see that it's back up and new format which is great but after a few month well go back to the kids running. Also there is a new board WDbuddies.com that open that is good also
    Greeting from Singapore