Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: I would buy a...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Mac vs PC in the Community Center forums; I am needing a new computer and am seriously considering a Mac. Do any of you have a Mac? If you do, what are the pros and cons of switching ...
    MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

Mac vs PC

I am needing a new computer and am seriously considering a Mac.

Do any of you have a Mac?

If you do, what are the pros and cons of switching from a PC to a Mac?

We currently run Windows XP which offers multiple screens for multiple users, does Mac offer something like this?

Do you know anyone who got a Mac and switched back? So far, any Mac users I have know of have only good to say about them but it feels a little one sided because of that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    I bought an iMac back in 2004 and haven't missed the Windows world at all

Fed Ex delivered it one day at 9:30am and I had it all set up ready to go including my connection to the house's wireless network in 20 minutes!

The Mac OS does have the capability of multiple users and each one can have their own set-ups. The newer Intel Macs can also use Windows only programs.

There are several other members here that use Macs

Some of the cons (if you can call them that):

1. on screen buttons (minimize,"X") are on top left
    2. "X" ing out of a window does NOT close application
    3. screen icons (desktop) are on right side
    Last edited by tiggerguy; 09-01-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Lol, those aren't really cons Brian, they're just little differences that make the Mac. There's a little triangle underneath the icon in your dock that lets you know if that program is still running. Also, if there's some really strange thing that causes your program to stop working and you want to do CTRL ALT DEL to get out of it, they have the Force Quit option that closes out of the program, no questions asked, no nonsense in trying to load up some window telling you "Hey, your program is acting up!" *clicks close out anyways* "Are you sure you want to close out of this program?" *clicks YES, and then waits 5 minutes only to recieve the lovely ever familiar Blue Screen of Death*

In case ya'll are wondering, I'm a Mac user on a slightly below PC budget *grumble*

Yensid78 is offline A-Ticket holder
    We have been PC users for years up until about 2 years ago. We purchased an Imac. We still use pc laptops, one with XP and one with Vista. I have to say that when I purchase my next laptop, it is going to be a MAC. The iMac we bought runs just as well as the day we bought it two years ago. We have never had to restart it because it locked up(knock on wood). I will say that when we first got it, I HATED it. but that is only because it does operate differently than windows. Now that I am used to it, I prefer the layout on a mac. I concur with the previous poster that when we first took it out of the box, it was up and running on our home wireless network within 10-15 minutes. It can be difficult at times to always find a program you need but that is happening less and less these days. I work full time but I do occasionally take on line courses at the local college and there have been times when the class was not compatible with the mac so I had to take the course on my pc. Now the mac we have was purchased just before they started putting Intel chips in them so we may not have that issue anymore. Other than that we have not had any compatibility issues. I would go with a MAC. It is worth the extra money.
    Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow

lobaugo is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I made the switch to a mac a couple of months ago and I have never looked back. It was kinda hard adjusting to a mac, but after I would say about a day or two, I got the hang of it and would never ever think of switching back to a PC.

Peer pressure haha :]

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe View Post
    I am needing a new computer and am seriously considering a Mac.

Do any of you have a Mac?
    Yes...I have 2 and I'm about to get a 3rd.

If you do, what are the pros and cons of switching from a PC to a Mac?
    Pros -
    Macs Rule
    They last a longer than a PC, IMHO it doesn't get outdated fast as a pc seems too
    No troublesome/buggy operating system (ie Vista)
    No virus for the most part
    and did I say Macs rule?

Cons -
    You'll have to buy all new software because most likely your PC programs won't work. So if you need Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc you need to figure the cost of those into your budget if you have one. Now you can run PC programs on a Macs with an Intel chip using a program (I think one is called Bootcamp?) and buying windows...but from what I understand it runs slower, though I have never done this.

Can't get a Mac cheap like you can a PC...no complete packages for $799 and the like

We currently run Windows XP which offers multiple screens for multiple users, does Mac offer something like this?
    Yes it does

Do you know anyone who got a Mac and switched back? So far, any Mac users I have know of have only good to say about them but it feels a little one sided because of that.
    Don't know anyone that has and everyone I know that has gone from PC to Mac says they won't go back

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
    You should do it!
    Last edited by Stitch; 09-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.

ghasty is offline B-Ticket Holder
    New Software? Or you can use most of what comes with OS X (for video, email, etc) and go with open source for your "office like stuff"...

Been in IT for 20+ years...started with an Apple II and just recently switched back to Apple. Have 6-7 boxes in my home either running OS X or Ubuntu Linux...only one windows machine left. Currently looking to upgrade my personal Mac since I'm sold. yes you pay more...but what's your time in frustration worth?
    ---
    Gary M. Hasty
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

chavez705 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Let me start out with saying I am a HUGE mac fan and have been for years. My current laptop is an intel based mac book pro running Leopard OS X. In all honesty Leopard has its fair share of updates to fix bugs but it is great. I have owned PC as well but as said before I really prefer the mac layout. As far as running windows programs, like some have mentioned, if your not willing to put in the time and money to make it happen then I would not count on it. If you want to run vista then you have to pay the $300 for the full version to load on your mac. If you use the native Bootcamp to run Vista then every time you want to switch the OS you have to reboot. Again, if you want to pay the $$ then you can buy programs like Parallel that allow you to start up Vista in a window. So I wouldn't necessarily say it is a "pro". It will be big change but it is totally worth it!

Mickey Fan is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My 2 oldest children purchased mac books for college & love them. Both swear they'll never go back to a pc. No problems, no viruses, ease of use,great apps,etc.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I've owned Macs since 1988. Bought a Mac Classic back when I was a computer science major and was using all different kinds of machines. I knew PC's inside and out, but loved how easy it was to get my work done on a Mac. Got laughed at by the hard-core guys, but I haven't regretted it and haven't ever wanted to switch.

I believe I've had 7 different models now. (When I had my business, I had more than one running at a time). Each one has lasted much longer than the equivalent PC's - in fact, my son still uses an original red iMac to play educational games on - wouldn't try doing any heavy internet use on it, but it still runs just fine. The most recent retiree lasted 6+ years before the requirements for the newest versions of the software I use most exceeded its specs, and the hard drive was full.

For me, the computer is a tool to get things done with. I don't want to have to think about how to use that tool, it should be intuitive. That's what a Mac was from the beginning. They've narrowed the gap a lot with Windows, but there are still things that are just easier on a Mac.

With software, they've made versions now of most of the big name PC packages for Macs, but you may need to ask yourself: do I need Microsoft Office ®, or do I just need a way to write letters and documents? Do I need Microsoft Excel® or a spreadsheet program? PowerPoint® or presentation software? The Macs come with (or have available very affordably) some very good programs that work seamlessly together and can read the common PC file formats. iWorks bundles a word processing program, a spreadsheet program, and a presentation program (a la Powerpoint) for about $100. iLife comes with the new iMacs, and includes iPhoto, iTunes, GarageBand, iMovie, iDVD.... and the Safari web browser is included too. Between those three, just about everything I want to do is covered.

We've got 2 pc's in the house that my DH and DD use, DH because of security needs for work and just plain stubbornness, DD because it was just so much less expensive to get her a PC laptop and it was more compatible with what she was using at school. I don't touch either machine except with a dustcloth. I see them downloading Windows updates for a couple of hours at a time, whereas my iMac updates take about 5 minutes and it practically does it all itself.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I have a new Dell laptop and she is running the Vista operating system.

I wish there was a temper tantrum smiley face to insert here. I wish I had gone Mac. The word Vista makes my skin crawl. My last laptop ran XP, it was nice to me. Vista also has some wireless issues when you go into Starbucks, library, McD's etc. Errr.

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    I would love a Mac, but my laptop is free from work, so I get what I'm given!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I am a recent convert to MAC (thanks Vista!) and could spend hours singing its praises. I see why they have a cult-like following

Once you go MAC, you never go back!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Mongello View Post
    I am a recent convert to MAC (thanks Vista!) and could spend hours singing its praises. I see why they have a cult-like following

Once you go MAC, you never go back!
    Don't know what this MAC is, but, once you use a Mac you won't go back
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    I have a PC, and I have Windows Vista, and I don't know what's wrong with the people that make all the commericals about how terrible Windows Vista is, but my computer works just fine! I love it very much! I have a Dell XPS, and it's fabulous. I've used Macs before and I hated them...they're confusing because I've used PCs for my whole life.
    Anyway, I vote PC.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music