Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss the7thAve's Top Ten Things to Watch for Halloween!!! in the Community Center forums; So if I admit to enjoying the HSM franchise, will I get banned from the topic?...
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    So if I admit to enjoying the HSM franchise, will I get banned from the topic?

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    no, it's probably the scariest movie on here! heh heh heh (cheap joke, I know)

If we can dream it, we can do it

#7. Nightmare Before Christmas

I know this flick has its detractors, but it has been my go-to for the ol' "Favorite Movie of All Time" question since it came out. The day it came out, I saw it in the theatres and immediately went out and bought the soundtrack. I got it the day it was released on vhs and when I finally got around to getting a dvd player, it was the first dvd I bought.

Anyways, my fandom aside, I think this a perfect flick to watch this time of year. The only reason it isn't higher is because of its Christmas impurities (for this top ten, anyway. I love the Christmas side of this movie, too).

The songs are great, but what really stands out, to me, is the animation and character design. Apart from Edward Gorey, I have never seen such a perfect mix of innocence and the macabre.

To repeat myself yet again, a friend of mine once said, "If you can't identify with Jack Skellington, who can you identify with?"
    Seriously, who among us has not felt alone in his or her own pursuit of happiness, only to find out that what we were looking for was right in front of us the whole time?

A perfect Halloween movie and a near-perfect Christmas movie, NBC has something for everyone and, honestly, I will never understand how anyone could not like it.
    Last edited by the7thAve; 10-29-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    Seriously, who among us has not felt alone in his or her own pursuit of happiness, only to find out that what we were looking for was right in front of us the whole time?
    Sigh.

I have NBC at home, I will watch it tonight and let you know how I liked it. I got it for the kids but have yet to sit down, watch and pay attention.

#6 Mad Monster Party

Everyone knows Rankin-Bass, the animation company that brought us Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman. With the success of these two productions, Rankin-Bass thought they could beat Disney at their own game: Feature Animation.

Well, unfortunately this is their one, and only, attempt.

Rankin-Bass made Mad Monster Party as a feature-length Halloween special. The plot is about a nerd who inherits the estate of his uncle, which is a castle where a monster party is being held. The nerd travels to the island where the castle is and finds a bunch of monsters who want to kill him because they want his uncle's estate. In classic fashion, he unwittingly outsmarts them all.

The movie cost millions to make (and years) and was a complete flop. Not even the guest starring voices of Phyllis Diller or Boris Karloff could save it from sinking into obscurity until it was resurrected on home video a few years ago (methinks in an attempt to cash in on Nightmare Before Christmas's newfound popularity and profitability).

Anyway, it's quite a sight to behold. The plot drags at times, but some of the songs are amazing. The only reason it edged out NBC it b/c it's a purer Halloween movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Sigh.

I have NBC at home, I will watch it tonight and let you know how I liked it. I got it for the kids but have yet to sit down, watch and pay attention.
    it'll definitely be well worth your time, I promise.

#5 the Wicker Man (1973)

Put the kids to bed! The first horror movie to make it into the top ten is Robin Hardy's 1973 masterpiece, "the Wicker Man," starring the ever-present Christopher Lee.

Though not outright chilling or thrilling (till the end), a general disquiet pervades this entire flick; a feeling that gloom and doom are swiftly on their
    way (for somebody or somebodies).

Why is this movie so high on the list of Halloween top ten? Well, simply for the fact that, to me, it has more to do with the roots of Halloween than the vast majority of horror films out there (even though the film takes place around May Day).

That unspoken, taboo, imagery of our pastoral pagan past (alliteration, folks!) comes through in this film like none other I have ever seen, and brings to mind a time when Halloween was genuinely a time for humans to be afraid of the things that may go bump in the night; a time for harvest, but also a time when death and evil freely roamed the Earth.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    On a somewhat related note, the Iron Maiden song of the same name made so much more sense to me after I was made aware of this film's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    On a somewhat related note, the Iron Maiden song of the same name made so much more sense to me after I was made aware of this film's existence.
    DUDE. I made a mix I'm calling "Halloween Metal Party" and it has plenty of Maiden, Manowar, Slayer, etc. on it.
    It's a real good one. Good enough, in fact, that it hasn't left my car cd player yet.

Once it does ultimately leave the vehicle, let us know.

This piano cover of "Caught Somewhere In Time" still gets a lot of play from me--I can just see ghosts swingin' from the chandelier in the Mansion with this one, especially around the 35-50 second time frame.

YouTube - Piano Tribute to Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere In Time

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    That unspoken, taboo, imagery of our pastoral pagan past (alliteration, folks!) comes through in this film like none other I have ever seen, and brings to mind a time when Halloween was genuinely a time for humans to be afraid of the things that may go bump in the night; a time for harvest, but also a time when death and evil freely roamed the Earth.
    This sentiment has also managed to be get some well-deserved media coverage lately.

In The Know: Has Halloween Become Overcommercialized? | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

#4. Halloween

Well, I'm sure you all knew this was inevitable.

A big fuss has been made about how Michael Myers is indestructible, and why. I honestly think the latter entries in this series ruined the legacy of this movie... and don't get me started on the remake.

Michael Myers is an unstoppable force of nature, period. He is the embodiment of the killing force present in the natural world. He is, in human form, what makes the leaves turn, the grass die, and the moon to turn red.
    He is Halloween... the kind of Halloween mentioned in my post about the Wicker Man. He is the Halloween that is of old times shaped into a (large) man.

Which is what makes this film great. In a way, Michael Myers isn't evil per se, he is just doing what comes naturally: harvest.

It's also a morality tale: the devil has come to take all the sinners back to his land beyond the River Styx. Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) is innocence, conquering evil, only to have to face it again and again later on in life.

So check it out, and forget about all that junk I just said and enjoy being scared of a movie again.

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    This sentiment has also managed to be get some well-deserved media coverage lately.

In The Know: Has Halloween Become Overcommercialized? | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    this is one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen.

#3. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

There are many, many people who absolutely hate this movie. I said it in a previous Halloween thread, but here's why:

No Michael Myers.
    It's true! The third entry in the Halloween series does not have the big white-faved lug anywhere in it! John Carpenter and Debra Hill originally wanted each movie to come out and be something about the holiday, but have different stories, all under the banner of "Halloween" (which I think is a brilliant idea). But when Halloween 3: Season of the Witch came out, and audiences went to theatres expecting another Michael Myers killing spree... and instead got a movie about masks, witches, and the true nature of Halloween, well... things got a little out of hand.

To this day, there are people who will tell you this movie is terrible. And why? because, to be blunt, their puny minds cannot possibly fathom that there is a Halloween sequel without their favorite anti-hero.

Once again, this film has more to do with the actual roots of Halloween than most horror films, which is why it is here and why it outranked its more popular older brother.

The plot involves Tom Atkins and a ladyfriend as they try to uncover some mysteries at the world's most famous manufacturer of Halloween masks, Silver Shamrock. Dan O'Herlihy turns in a great performance as the Irish patriarch of the Silver Shamrock company.

When Tom and his ladyfriend discover exactly what is going on, will it be too late? Watch and find out....

#2. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

To me, the "Sleepy Hollow" half of this film will always bring to mind Halloween and also exactly how great Disney can do darker material, when they choose to. The use of the color blue in this one is simply remarkable and the animation is some of the best I have ever seen. This may well be my favorite thing Disney has ever done.

The songs, as in NBC, are catchy and don't detract from the story at all. I'm especially a big fan of the one Brom Bones sings about the "midnight jamboree" (sung by Bing Crosby!):

"When the spooks have a midnight Jamboree
    They break it up with fiendish glee
    Ghosts are bad, but the one that's cursed
    It's the Headless Horseman, he's the worst!

That's right, he's a fright, on Halloween night

But when he goes a-joggin' 'cross the land
    Holdin' his noggin in his hand
    Demons take one look and groan
    And hit the road for parts unknown
    Beware, take care, he rides alone

And there's no spook, like a spook who's spurned
    They don't like him, and he's really burned
    He swears to the longest day he's dead
    He'll show them that he can get a head

They say he's tired of his flamin' top
    He's got a yen to make a swap
    So he rides one night each year
    To find a head in the hollow here

Now he likes them little, he likes them big
    Part in the middle, or a wig
    Black or white or even red
    The Headless Horseman needs a head

With a hip-hip and a clippity-clop
    He's out lookin' for a top to chop
    So don't stop to figure out a plan
    You can't reason with a headless man

Now if you doubt this tale is so
    I met that spook just a year ago
    No, I didn't stop for a second look
    For once you cross that bridge, my brook friends
    The ghost is through, his power ends

So when you're riding home tonight
    Make for the bridge with all your might
    He'll be down in the hollow there
    He needs your head, look out, beware

With a hip-hip and a clippity-clop
    He's out looking for a head to swap
    So don't try to figure out a plan
    You can't reason with a headless man"

Now THAT, my friends, is Halloween!!! A lot of harmless, innocent, fun, but an undercurrent of malice and fear and chaos!!! woohoo!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast