Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
General Discussions Discuss the7thAve's Top Ten Things to Watch for Halloween!!! in the Community Center forums; I love Zombies! Haven't had one of those in a looooong time....
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I love Zombies! Haven't had one of those in a looooong time.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    #1. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

There is not other television show, special, movie, or anything else I could think of that is more of a seasonal tradition than watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!". While no one remembers Mad Monster Party, Garfield's Halloween Adventure, or the Claymation special, the Great Pumpkin trudges on into Halloween eternity.

Though Charles Schultz has been dead for years (God rest his soul), kids today can still read Peanuts in the paper and watch the Peanuts gang in their respective holiday specials, giving the late Mr. Schultz that most coveted state of immortality. My five year old niece may not know who Bugs Bunny is, or Garfield, but she certainly has seen Linus diligently awaiting the arrival of the elusive Great Pumpkin.

It is just as timeless today as it was when it was created 42 years ago, making it older than the majority of people who post on this site.

I've always thought that the Peanuts specials were kinda weird. For instance, in this one we have the plotline going along about the gang's Halloween celebrations, when suddenly we have this short diversion into a whole new plot of Snoopy as a WWI flying Ace (piloting a Sopwith Camel no less!) being shot down behind enemy lines. What???
    Regardless, it's a charming little aside, and one can't help but feel a little sympathy when we see little Snoopy crying into his root beer as Schroeder plays a tune from his homeland.

We also can't help but admire Linus's faith in the midst of adversity. Even when the Great Pumpkin fails to make an appearance, he still believes. How many of us would have that sort of perseverance in our beliefs on different issues? But good ol' Linus hangs in there, even dragging Sally down in flames with him, missing out on "tricks or treats" in order to get a glimpse of a Santa-like figure who lets down his believers year after year. I must admit, I'd probly be one of the kids mocking him.

Regardless, it's the sheer timelessness and tradition that makes "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" my pick for the number one thing to watch during this most joyous and macabre season of the year.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Honorable Mentions!!!

The below movies, shows, etc. are ones that would be profitable to watch today, but got edged out for one reason or another.

In no order:

-Looney Tunes Halloween Special
    -Haxan
    -Mr. Boogedy and/or Bride of Boogedy
    -Ghostbusters
    -Rocky Horror Picture Show
    -Dracula
    -Frankenstein
    -Halloween 2
    -Corpse Bride
    -the Black Cauldron
    -Transylvania 6-5000
    -Monster Squad
    -Tales from the Darkside (tv show)
    -the Twilight Zone (tv show)
    -An American Werewolf in London
    -Beetlejuice
    -Night of the Demons
    -Black Christmas
    -Watership Down
    -Return of the Living Dead

No Shaun of the Dead?

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

I just hear that Werevolves of London song, always reminds me of you Dood!

So any way we can get copies of that remix of yours?

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    I've been somewhat annoyed lately when I think I'm about to be treated to "Werewolves of London," but further listening reveals it as some "new" Kid Rock tune the airwaves can't seem to get enough of right now.

Had a bout of mild insomnia last night, and ended up YouTubing choice bits from Halloween 3, and in retrospect, I'm sort of sorry I did. It's been some years since I'd last seen this one, and I'd forgotten just how disturbing some of it truly was (especially, as it turns out, apparently I'd only been watching the sanitized TV version in the past).

True enough, Charlie Brown is just about as much of a tradition as anything else related to the Halloween season. Although I just wish to express that as a little guy, I was not in the slightest bit amused with Charlie Brown receiving a rock in lieu of treats (in much the same way as I took no delight in seeing the kids taking Trix from the Rabbit), especially when you take into account the quality of the other children he was trick or treating in the company of (even more glaring in the Christmas and Valentine's Day specials, in particular the girls who were just plain horrible). You can imagine my delight when during the height of Rambo's popularity in the mid-'80s, when MAD magazine was still readable, they published a section offering a glimpse at their predictions for when the influence of the troubled Green Beret spread everywhere in American culture, including the funny pages. After receiving yet another rock ("Good Grief"), Charlie Brown is avenged by a red bandana-clad Snoopy, who proceeded to bazooka the offender's house while yelling (and I quote): "Yo! Knee-jerk liberal! Don't ya know it's un-American to [cheat] kids on Halloween?!"

Most original costume I saw tonight? A clothesline. Two dudes had 2 x 4's coming out of their jackets and the clothesline between the two of them.

I always felt bad for Charlie Brown too. He just couldn't win, and he was so nice (and as you pointed out, especially compared to his "friends") and had an awesome dog.

The best costume I saw was a guy who came to our party as the Goblin King (David Bowie) from Labyrinth. He really pulled it off nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    I just hear that Werevolves of London song, always reminds me of you Dood!

So any way we can get copies of that remix of yours?
    the metal one?

I really love that Warren Zevon song, and it's near blasphemous that everyone at our party thought it was gonna be Kid Rock when it came on (lots of groans, but then some cheers when they realized it was the original version). Our party last night was fairly wild, especially when we found out the neighbors across the street were also having a party, so we spent a bit of the evening wandering back and forth between parties.

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    DUDE. I made a mix I'm calling "Halloween Metal Party" and it has plenty of Maiden, Manowar, Slayer, etc. on it.
    It's a real good one. Good enough, in fact, that it hasn't left my car cd player yet.
    This one.

Still waitin' for word on the soundtrack, dood.

Other than that, nothing to contribute here. Just felt appropriate for the post-holiday to give the topic its six hundred and sixty-sixth view.

Looking a little nutty!

Aaah, Canadian Halloween--designing costumes to fit over snowsuits........

Still, every time I see holiday photos like this, I reflect on all those pre-K peers of mine lost in the Silver Shamrock (tm) tragedy of '82; God rest their souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    Aaah, Canadian Halloween--designing costumes to fit over snowsuits........

Still, every time I see holiday photos like this, I reflect on all those pre-K peers of mine lost in the Silver Shamrock (tm) tragedy of '82; God rest their souls.
    HAHA!!!!

I'll hafta get that cd out and post the track list. I keep forgetting to do it (I'm at work right now).

Maybe you can burn another copy and take it with you to Cali?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456