Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Death to LOL in the Community Center forums; I've noticed that LOL is over-used in many posts. Let's be honest; has anything written before or after an LOL ever actually been funny; let alone funny enough to laugh ...
    elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Death to LOL

I've noticed that LOL is over-used in many posts. Let's be honest; has anything written before or after an LOL ever actually been funny; let alone funny enough to laugh out loud? Not in the posts I've read. If you think about it, isn't it kind of dopey to tell someone that what you just wrote is so funny they should laugh about it? If you use it to tell the last poster their post was funny, that use makes makes sense, but most people don't seem to use it for that purpose. It's usually used in this context:
    "...then my son pulled Mickey's tail! LOL..."
    Can we retire this abbreviation? It's so corny. I think the time has come to move on. If a post is really funny we'll laugh. We don't need prompting to tell us to do so. It's about as useful as a laugh-track on a sitcom.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    We all have our personal pet peeves, but I think this one's pretty dopey, lol!

It's just an abbreviation used commonly, nothing wrong with it. Just be glad that everyone here is typing full complete sentences and not lyke dis wher evrythng is n bts & p1ces. Take a chill pill, you'll have more fun that way

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    You can take pills if you want...I'll stick with booze. But seriously; I know it's nit-picky to bring it up but it's like an annoying verbal tic. It's like someone who says "know what I'm sayin'?" after every sentence they speak. Just cut it out, it makes you look foolish.

I understand, it's like those valley girls that like to say like like every other like um . . . word. It's like really irritating, know what I'm sayin'?

I do agree with your signature though, I think lengthy signatures deserve more of a complaint than three little letters.

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I understand, it's like those valley girls that like to say like like every other like um . . . word. It's like really irritating, know what I'm sayin'?

I do agree with your signature though, I think lengthy signatures deserve more of a complaint than three little letters.

I agree. You should start that thread. I'd be more than happy to post in it.

I'd rather not. I've got better things to do than to rant about silly stuff like that.

Better things? Like ranting about my rant about LOL? I see what you mean. Carry on.

Yes, better things, such as watching this little guy dance. Isn't he just adorable?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

and ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    You can take pills if you want...I'll stick with booze. But seriously; I know it's nit-picky to bring it up but it's like an annoying verbal tic. It's like someone who says "know what I'm sayin'?" after every sentence they speak. Just cut it out, it makes you look foolish.
    I will say LOL whenever I wish. You don't have to read it. It does sometimes help to express humor to people who do not have a sense of humor. If that is you, fine.

Yes, you have a right to say what you said. Yes, I have a right to disagree.
    If you think I look foolish- who cares. I am a well educated person. You?

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts
    why are we arguing about this? really?
    -everyone has different pet peeves. if you don't like it, then you don't have to use it.
    I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with lol - but do you really think you are going to "retire" lol, or are you just trying to get into an argument?
    Last edited by wdfan; 11-26-2008 at 09:10 PM.
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I like your hitchhiking ghosts in your sig! Cute!

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder
    I had to sign up for the forum just to join in this conversation. I am laughing out loud from this discussion. I find it hilarious, especially the dancing lock.

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    I like your hitchhiking ghosts in your sig! Cute!
    thanks!
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    I will say LOL whenever I wish.

Good. As long as you stop writing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast