Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Comics aren't just for kids! in the Community Center forums; Hi, everyone (well, everyone whose interest was sparked by my thread title). One of my big hobbies is WDW, naturally. I have also returned to the hobby of collecting and ...
    T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder

Comics aren't just for kids!

Hi, everyone (well, everyone whose interest was sparked by my thread title).

One of my big hobbies is WDW, naturally. I have also returned to the hobby of collecting and reading comic books. There are many comic creators who are also big WDW fans . . . Chris Eliopoulis comes to mind quickly, as he does books for Marvel Comics and also shows up on the WDW Today Podcast occasionally.

I just wanted to take this thread to share another hobby and see if anyone might have interest.

Fans of comics and fans of pop culture might be interested in a new series called Glamourpuss, which is created by Dave Sim (who made the long running epic series Cerebus).

It's definitely not for kids, but there is no bad language, content, or graphics that you wouldn't show your mom.

But, it is fun to read for anyone who likes satire on pop culture and fashion magazines, in particular. Within the issue, there are also several pages that talk through the history and technique of drawing with a photorealistic style. I look at is as kind of Cosmopolitan meets Mad Magazine, with some Art History lessons thrown in.

If you have a comic book shop in your area, they would be able to order it for you. #5 is coming out soon, but there are copies of the other issues out there.

Here are some preview pages of the next issue:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Comics aren't just for kids!-gp55.jpg   Comics aren't just for kids!-gp54.jpg  
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    We buy our DD the Mickey Mouse comic books, then we read them after she is in bed. We really like some of the trade comics we get as well.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    There are some good Disney-licensed books outside the characters, too. A couple of years ago, SLG Publishing did a series about the Haunted Mansion, with the premise that there are 999 ghosts and they want to tell each of their stories. It got mixed reviews, but I loved the series while it was going. They had 6 issues which ended up being collected in a trade paperback last summer (you can get it on Amazon).

Keep up the great reading! I know I will!
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

Dellzip is offline A-Ticket holder
    Your right about that its like sports cards...

They are getting way to pricey..