Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Results 1 to 10 of 10
General Discussions Discuss Illegal to sell old toys? in the Community Center forums; Look at this article New law restricts re-sale of kid's products | News for Austin, Texas | KVUE.com | Top Stories According to this, by next month it will be ...
  1. #1
    Dragonrider1227's Avatar
    Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cinderella Castle
    Posts
    440

    Illegal to sell old toys?

    Look at this article
    New law restricts re-sale of kid's products | News for Austin, Texas | KVUE.com | Top Stories
    According to this, by next month it will be illegal to sell used children toys, clothes, and anything made before that date. So what this means of course is that toy collectors like me will be unable to purchase old toys for our collections anymore. Not to mention countless small thrift stores will go out of business. Tell me there's a way to stop this!

  2. #2
    elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Liquordale
    Posts
    1,178
    I wouldn't worry about it.

  3. #3
    Bobby2's Avatar
    Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    109
    This law has the best of intentions yet it should have been from this point forward. Buyer beware of anything prior to that date. If allowed to stand it will crush several areas of EBay, children's resale shops, garage sales. Many lead free items landing in landing in landfill just because of their manufacturing date.

    Do we honestly believe that toys and children's items manufactured and tagged lead free in China etc. will really be tested? Consumer and Safety has had this same problem for years with items being placarded with the UL Label being falsely attached to products. Baby formula, pet food, toothpaste all with harmful if not deadly chemicals added but not listed.

    We are currently hard pressed to find anything Disney USA manufactured for children. I would have far more faith in US manufacturing without lead than any label attached from China and the East countries. Can you only imagine if Disney supported American Manufacturers? The boost in jobs would certainly help our economy.

  4. #4
    BamaJenn's Avatar
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Idea Bag
    Posts
    8,572
    Wow that will make it very hard to collect anything Disney. I think most stuff collectible is probably considered a toy. You'd think if someone chose to sell something on eBay, a disclaimer would suffice.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

  5. #5
    GIOny's Avatar
    GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby2 View Post

    We are currently hard pressed to find anything Disney USA manufactured for children. I would have far more faith in US manufacturing without lead than any label attached from China and the East countries. Can you only imagine if Disney supported American Manufacturers? The boost in jobs would certainly help our economy.
    to that
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!















  6. #6
    harra's Avatar
    harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    372
    Many people complain about manufacturing moving overseas but companies like Wal-Mart and Target have gotten us programmed to crave low, low prices. If those manufacturing jobs moved stateside, the prices for those goods will go way up. Let's face it, we have fantastic labor laws that don't exist in those foreign countries. One of those laws is to pay a minimum wage. Those workers in countries like China are paid a fraction of what US manufacturers have to pay their employees.

    Plus, many of those jobs would fall into the hands of the unions which will drive up the wages even more.

    So, yes, it would be fantastic to have those jobs back in the United States, but I don't think Americans are willing to pay the premium prices that would come with such a move
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

  7. #7
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    Many people complain about manufacturing moving overseas but companies like Wal-Mart and Target have gotten us programmed to crave low, low prices. If those manufacturing jobs moved stateside, the prices for those goods will go way up. Let's face it, we have fantastic labor laws that don't exist in those foreign countries. One of those laws is to pay a minimum wage. Those workers in countries like China are paid a fraction of what US manufacturers have to pay their employees.

    Plus, many of those jobs would fall into the hands of the unions which will drive up the wages even more.

    So, yes, it would be fantastic to have those jobs back in the United States, but I don't think Americans are willing to pay the premium prices that would come with such a move
    I favor a living wage. I am proud of unions. They secured far labor acts, gained health insurance for worker, lunch breaks, over time pay, safety provisions. Other companies followed suit. I prefer to employ our own country and help our economy, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

  8. #8
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Re: Illegal to sell old toys?

    Well it is past Feb. 10th. Anyone hear anything more about this?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  9. #9
    disneydame2004's Avatar
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,677

    Re: Illegal to sell old toys?

    I was just looking at the Consumer Product Safety Commission's web page (www.cpsc.gov). They have the latest on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act as this law is called. There is a good guide to how the act affects sellers/resellers/crafters/manufacturers etc. at Guidance on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) for Small Businesses, Resellers, Crafters and Charities

    It looks like some of the dates were pushed back a year.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator




    Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

  10. #10
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Re: Illegal to sell old toys?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    I was just looking at the Consumer Product Safety Commission's web page (www.cpsc.gov). They have the latest on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act as this law is called. There is a good guide to how the act affects sellers/resellers/crafters/manufacturers etc. at Guidance on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) for Small Businesses, Resellers, Crafters and Charities

    It looks like some of the dates were pushed back a year.
    Yes, the law goes on as initiated for new products manufactured and in stock...will not be enforced for a year.

    The news that was the other point of this thread: Resale and collectibles don't seem to be apart of the new law after clarification.

    In the following article (about half way down the gibberish) it hits on that-

    snopes.com: Resale of Used Children's Clothes and Books
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •