Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Opinion Query in the Community Center forums; I have a question I'd like some feed back on... Being Disney Trivia buffs - lots of you are probably very knowledgeable about the Mouse. So.. you come online and ...
    Loric is offline D-Ticket Holder

Opinion Query

I have a question I'd like some feed back on...

Being Disney Trivia buffs - lots of you are probably very knowledgeable about the Mouse. So.. you come online and to Mouse-related sites and even message boards - but as several people have commented, most are unfriendly at best.

I have this problem where whenever I join a site and enter into the conversation - I always end up getting nastey remarks after a period of time and slams on the validity of the statements I make - stuff along the line of "Oh, like anyone buys that" and "You're just making that up." when in fact most of my knowledge is based on experience with the company and personal contacts with designers and artists and such.. But why the anger/grief?

Why do people seem to have this tendancy to dislike anyone who might know more than them? I think maybe they feel i'm coming into their site and stirring things up - answering questions they couldnt, and perhaps showing them to not be on the pedestal they thought they were to their users. I mean, most of my major riffs have been with site-owners after they used my content/knowledge - like they enjoyed it at first but then thought I was stepping on their toes.

It's not like i'd take over. I just don't get it. Just a little tired of being told "You don't know what you're talking about" and having people make nastey comments because of it.. What are your thoughts?

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    I think its a combination of a lot of things. First, most people are jealous of anyone that knows more than they do. Second, some people are soooo opinionated that thay cannot see it any other way than their own. Finally, some people are just nasty. I made a suggestion on one site about not going to one store over another and I got a lecture on the mistreatment of the workers at the store. I just gave my opinion and i thought that we still had free speech and the right to our own way of thinking( at least I thought we did)
    I love learning all sorts of new stuff - that's what's one of the wonders of being alive- never stop learning. And I always treat people with the dignity and respect that we all deserve. I guess our society has gotten away from having manners and being kind to one another, and that is really very sad. My parents always taught me to treat others as you would like to be treated. I try to do that every day of my life and I taught my children to do the same. I think if we all stood back and did this it just might be a little nicer in this world....
    Ok off the soapbox

Well, this is nice - I was fully expecting my first response to be "You don't know anything and are a pompus know it all! shut up!"

dont worry we'll let you know when you're pompous

Hehe, even 3 years down the road when i have several thousands posts and soem newbie comes on and dares know more than me? You'll remind me then?

of course - whats another know -it all for???