Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Generations of Disney in the Community Center forums; Hi! Iím new on this forum and I am looking for help. I am doing a bit of research due to the 50th anniversary of Disneyland and am trying to ...
    TinkTrvl is offline A-Ticket holder

Generations of Disney

Hi! Iím new on this forum and I am looking for help. I am doing a bit of research due to the 50th anniversary of Disneyland and am trying to find stories of multiple generations of Disney goers. For example, grandparents went when the park opened in 1955, years later brought their children and their children brought children etcetera, etcetera. You get the idea. If anyone has any information (preferable first hand i.e. Your parents, grandparents, children) it would be extremely helpful!

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Wow, my grandparents didn't go when it opened, but somewhere I have pics of them, my folks and us at the park in the 70's and I am hoping to drag my mother there to get pics of her with me and MJ together.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

JLTraveling is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well, my grandparents didn't go for a long time. But my parents have always been Disney fanatics - they were teenagers when WDW opened, and lived locally. One of my favorite memories is from when my grandmother (Dad's mom) was in her 70s. Turns out she always wanted to go but didn't think she could afford it, or more to the point thought that as an adult she "shouldn't" spend the money. Anyway, when I was about 12, my parents and I took her to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. She cried buckets when she saw the castle, and even more so at the American Adventure preshow, the Voices of Liberty, when one of the guys held her hand and sang to her. Grandma passed away a couple years later, and that's still my best memory of her.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    When Disneyland opens in the 50' my grandparents didn't go either. Now not to make this a race thing I did ask my grandmother why she never took my mom and her sister and two brothers. She basically told me that she didn't think at the time they would feel entirely comfortable going because they were black. Now I did tell my grandmother I have seen opening day footage of Disyland opening and I did see some African American people. It was not a lot but none the same they were there. My grandmother who is 91 now did say she always wanted to go but didnít go because of that reason and the fact they lived in New Jersey and it was to far to travel. I honestly believe the latter is more why they didnít go. But if you ask her she would say it was because of the race issue. I did try to explain to her I never felt Disney ever may it an issue about race but that the park was built for everyone to come and enjoy the park regardless of race or anything even at that time in history. But I guess if you grew up in a time when people only judge you on the color of your skin and nothing else I guess that how you would feel too. But on a lighter note my mom however took me to Disney World in 1977 when I was six. I always thought it was a cool thing that I was born 4 days after WDW open in 1971. So it was always cool to celebrate my 10,15,20,25, and 30th birthday with WDW and when I turn 35 on OCT 9 I will be going down again (even though I will be going a couple a more times before then). I always love Disney and now my two girls who are 7 and 11 love it as well and they both have been this past May with my mom (their Grammy) my step dad, stepsister and myself. Now the best part is my family is now interracial because my step dad is white and so is my stepsister. So I tell my grandmother just look how far this country has come in regards to race and donít fell that because way back then because of a bunch of stupid people that is the reason why you never went. I also told her what better place to escape but to WDW or DL. I donít think my grandmother will ever make it to either due to her age and the fact that it quite a bit of walking for her even if we get a wheelchair, but she has seen tons of pictures of us at the parks and tells me all the time how lucky Iíam to be able to go there and feel very welcome and to love it as much as I do. Because believe you me I totally Love anything Disney

I hope I didnít damper the subject

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I have been to WDW with 4 generations of my family, from my grandfather, to me now taking my daughter (tear welling in eye)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Last October I was there w/ family.. It was my Grandparents first time going. They took the train from NY w/ my parents while I flew down the next day... They loved it but said it was a once in a lifetime thing. They are 70 and 75... It was a little rough for them... I wish I was part of the Disney family!!!

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    At least three generations of my family have seen disneyworld. I hope someday to take my future to the greatest place on earth.