Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Surprising stories behind 20 Muppet characters in the Community Center forums; I've always been a big fan of The Muppets, even sharing a birthday with Jim Henson. I thought some other Muppet fans here might find this article interesting: Surprising stories ...
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

Surprising stories behind 20 Muppet characters

I've always been a big fan of The Muppets, even sharing a birthday with Jim Henson. I thought some other Muppet fans here might find this article interesting: Surprising stories behind 20 Muppet characters - CNN.com

Like a lot of people, I grew up on Sesame Street and the Muppets. But did you ever stop to wonder where they came from?
    Many Muppets came from humble origins; Kermit once was made of a coat and ping-pong balls.

Many Muppets came from humble origins; Kermit once was made of a coat and ping-pong balls.

Some of the characters we know and love were recycled from other TV shows and commercials Jim Henson worked on, while others were invented by using whatever materials were around.

Be prepared for a little nostalgia, and I hope I didn't leave out your favorite -- not all of the characters have interesting background stories (sorry, Big Bird).

1. Cookie Monster: Jim Henson drew some monsters eating various snacks for a General Foods commercial in 1966. The commercial was never used, but Henson recycled one of the monsters (the "Wheel-Stealer") for an IBM training video in 1967 and again for a Fritos commercial in 1969. By that time, he had started working on Sesame Street and decided this monster would have a home there.
    Click the link above to read about the other 19 Muppets in the article.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    Interesting stories.

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for the link to the article, love the muppets, nice to see history behind the characters.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I remember being a huge Big Bird fan as a kid and seeking him out at Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA. Kinda bummed he didn't have an interesting story behind him. Oh well, at least all my other favorite Muppet characters were on the list.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I really need to find some time to read this. I love the Muppets!