Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Idea for Marvel Entertainment at WDW in the Community Center forums; I know there has been allot of debate about include Marvel character in, around, and about the Disney Resorts, but I had an idea what I think is a good ...
    Citizen of WDW is offline A-Ticket holder

Idea for Marvel Entertainment at WDW

I know there has been allot of debate about include Marvel character in, around, and about the Disney Resorts, but I had an idea what I think is a good for uses the characters. With all the space available where P.I. used to be, why not a Marvel Superhero themed restaurant? I don't think there has ever been a table service dining area with that type of design. I have not put a whole lot of thought into this, but this a good place to flesh out the idea.

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Idea for Marvel Entertainment at WDW

A Marvel themed restaurant would be a great idea, there would be a ton of theming possibilities. It would also be nice to include a counterservice version somehow connected, kind of like Yak & Yeti. Another thought I had would be to theme the unfinished years of Pop Century into a Marvel Superhero theme, but that would probably be a long way off.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I've seen several posts for ideas for the Marvel characters integration. I think a themed restaurant in DTD would be a good idea. I actually just like having the Disney characters in the park, although once a year I like having the Star Wars crew at DHS.

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

Apologies for Hijacking the thread, does anyone know what will happen with all the marvel themed stuff at IOA, are they still free to use it for as long as they want.

Am I right in saying Six Flags use Marvel themeing too?

Ruddy

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by RuddyWDW View Post
    Apologies for Hijacking the thread, does anyone know what will happen with all the marvel themed stuff at IOA, are they still free to use it for as long as they want.

Am I right in saying Six Flags use Marvel themeing too?
    I think that Universal has contracts that will ensure the use of the characters in their parks, and will be able to keep doing so unless Disney buys them out. I also heard that Universal will have to pay a percentage on all the Marvel merch they sell. I'm sure that Universal is looking at all options as far as transitioning away from Marvel now that it is a Disney property, but I really don't think there will be much change for a few years at least.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

From what I understand, as long there is a Marvel Superhero Island, they have the rights for the character usage in a theme park in the Orlando area. Also I believe they have the right for use of Spiderman in parks in Japan. Sounds weird I know, but here's the source. orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-tourism-execs-head-for-dc-091409,0,3284968.story It's about halfway through the article.

As for a Marvel Weekend, I'm all for it. Marvel has just as strong fan following as Star Wars and I think it would be a seller.

ChrisX is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen of WDW View Post
    As for a Marvel Weekend, I'm all for it. Marvel has just as strong fan following as Star Wars and I think it would be a seller.
    Citizen, I like both your ideas and definitely the strategy behind them. I think that it will be quite a while before Marvel has any real presence in the parks but there are definitely concerns from Disney fans that Marvel will be all over the parks and not really fit in.

The idea of a themed restaurant and a Marvel weekend use the Marvel properties in a way that shouldn't upset even the most "anti-Marvel in the parks" Disney fans. Seems like a good way to ease Marvel in.

I think that is the key to introducing Marvel into the resorts is easing it in slowly. I don't think we'd have Star Wars Weekends at DHS if there was never a Star Tours. Thatís how it starts, one step at a time.

My big complaint with the arguments with Marvel in the parks is some people aren't looking at the big picture. I mean on paper, what difference is there between Darth Maul walking around DHS and Power Rangers meet and greet compared to Marvel Superhero Weekend? Plus Disney is really good with brand integrity. They are not going to damage their properties, just to use Marvel characters in park. Plus I'd think comic fans would be just as offended by Chip and Dale joining the X-Men. It's all about brand integrity. Food for thought really. Honestly, I don't see any of this happening in the next 5 years, but one can dream.