Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Disney hating family members bringing me down in the Community Center forums; So, I just got back from my annual trip to Florida with about 20 family members. We normally stay in Kissimmee but this year everyone decided to switch it up ...
    zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Disney hating family members bringing me down

So, I just got back from my annual trip to Florida with about 20 family members. We normally stay in Kissimmee but this year everyone decided to switch it up and go to the beach and stay in Fort Pierce... but my boyfriend and I decided that 2 days at the beach were enough for us, and so we stayed for 2 nights at Pop Century and then 2 nights with an aunt and uncle just outside of Disney. We could only afford to do one day at the Magic Kingdom but we explored resorts, ate at Beaches and Cream and ohana, shopped, etc and got in lots of Disney time... it was a REALLY fun week. Then on the drive home my cousins who are in their 30s and who have been to MK once (and no other park) and didn't really enjoy it started asking me "so was anything different since, you know, the LAST time you went" in a really snotty voice and laughing and being really mean.Then my younger cousins told me that all of my family members had been making fun of me the whole trip and saying how they think I'm dumb and crazy and childish for wanting to go to Disney so often.

Does anyone ever have similar family members or people they know? I had to leave and go for a walk cause I was getting so upset... it just was a horrible way to end off a trip that was pretty great. Blah. I had been showing my mom pictures from my trip at the time but I got all embarassed of them and I HATE being embarassed of my love for Disney.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Disney hating family members bringing me down

See, we all seem to be in the same boat. That's why we come here. We all have friends and family that "don't get it". Shame for them. I don't even argue with them about it anymore. Heck my own kids, who love Disney, bust my chops about how much I love Disney. I bring up the subject as often as possible. If that's the worst thing they can say about me, my love for all things Disney, I guess that's really not bad. Look at my signature, that's my answer to them.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Don't be embarrassed! Disney if for adults to and everything is always a bit better at Disney every time you go. Pity them for not being able to experience something so wonderful.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

heatherhy01 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I understand where you are coming from. I have relatives that do the same thing. They all think we are crazy for our love of Disney. Do not be embarrassed, they should not make you feel that way. Just tell them next time that they are entitled to their opinions and you can come to this site and tell us all about your great trip!!! We would love to hear about it!

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

Also the whole "oh the whole Disney thing is just a phase" is hilarious when you think that it started when I was 9 and I'm about to turn 24 haha. Silly people.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

If I had a dollar for every time I caught a little guff or got the ol' "rolleyes" from people who don't "get it", I'd be at WDW right now...!
    I'm 47 and am a part-time CM at our local Disney Store and love every second of my Disney obsession!
    I used to work with a guy that was completely obsessed with NASCAR. He couldn't understand my love of Disney any more than I could understand his love of watching guys/gals drive around in lefthand circles for 2 hours at a time. Different strokes!
    There is a book out there that I have only read a little bit of, so far, on my visits to our local Barnes & Noble, called "Mousejunkies" by Bill Burke. Reading it may very well help you, in the future, to not get so upset about those that don't "get It".
    I, personally, have never needed anything to get me past it... I've got my thing and others have theirs. It has just never bugged me at all!

XQIXX is offline A-Ticket holder

What I have found to work for me is that I tell people that I am happy that I have found something that makes me feel so close to my family and makes us all feel so good. I tell them that I hope they can find something in their lives that does that for them.I then look at them with pity and say maybe someday they will know that feeling. This usually shuts them up and gets them thinking! Of course you will never get them to understand. You have to understand that it is their problem not yours. You have your happy place and deep down they know they wish they did too! Enjoy your love of Disney and never be embarassed. That is why there are places like this! We all get it!!
    DVC Member SSR 2005

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    So, I just got back from my annual trip to Florida with about 20 family members. We normally stay in Kissimmee but this year everyone decided to switch it up and go to the beach and stay in Fort Pierce... but my boyfriend and I decided that 2 days at the beach were enough for us, and so we stayed for 2 nights at Pop Century and then 2 nights with an aunt and uncle just outside of Disney. We could only afford to do one day at the Magic Kingdom but we explored resorts, ate at Beaches and Cream and ohana, shopped, etc and got in lots of Disney time... it was a REALLY fun week. Then on the drive home my cousins who are in their 30s and who have been to MK once (and no other park) and didn't really enjoy it started asking me "so was anything different since, you know, the LAST time you went" in a really snotty voice and laughing and being really mean.Then my younger cousins told me that all of my family members had been making fun of me the whole trip and saying how they think I'm dumb and crazy and childish for wanting to go to Disney so often.

Does anyone ever have similar family members or people they know? I had to leave and go for a walk cause I was getting so upset... it just was a horrible way to end off a trip that was pretty great. Blah. I had been showing my mom pictures from my trip at the time but I got all embarassed of them and I HATE being embarassed of my love for Disney.

We all have friends or family that act like that. They just don't "get it". maybe it is a flaw in their personality, but thye do not get theming, interaction, attitude and ambiance as part of a total vacation experience.

Don't feel bad about it, just smile onthe inside and enjoy YOUR memories. Laugh with them, be glad that "those types" don't generally go back and clog up the parks with their nasty attitudes.

My SIL, is one of those, she hates everything but th eries, and gripes about th ewait times. She said 9 years ago she never needed to go back. Good, more for the rest of us.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Jerry McTavish is offline A-Ticket holder

There is no reason for any of us to feel ashamed because of our love for all things Disney.

Instead, I pity my family and friends who are so close-minded about Disney they refuse to let themselves enjoy visiting the parks or even appreciating Disney television, movies and music.

I think I shall make it my goal to convert all the naysayers so they too may see the light. LOL!!!!!
    Let The Memories Begin

When people act that way with me I punch them in the mouth!

Ok so I really don't punch them in the mouth but that doesn't mean I don't think about it. I tend to turn the tables on people and ask them why they like ...... so much and when they explain I tell them it's the same thing with me and my Disney obsession. They tend to shut up then.

Don't let people like that bring you down...it just makes them do it more. Remember what makes you happy and focus on that.

So, did u get any good pictures for the photo contest??

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

weird double post

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Ah, I knew you all would make me feel better haha. I have lots of other family that thinks I'm odd and doesn't get the whole obsession part of it, but like Disney World enough and who pretty much leave me alone (my dad ALWAYS stands up for me when people say its a phase, and he sets them straight) but I had never had anyone be MEAN like that. Teasing I can handle, but this was my cousins wife who I don't really know all that well too.

Having everyone here helps me feel normal though... or at least if I'm crazy we're ALL crazy together! haha. And ya Lori I got lots of good pictures! Hopefully a couple of them work for the contest in the next couple months

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

I'm not sure what else to add, everyone gave you such great feedback. I was actually getting upset for you. My DW & DD get it, maybe not quite to my level of wdwradio forums,wdwradio podcast, D23, Mousesavers, allearsnet..... Well you get the idea. I'm with Lori, punch them in the mouth. LOL. But seriously, don't let them get to you. One of the things I love about this site is we all get it. I think your family should be ashamed of themselves for making you feel bad about something that you obviously really enjoy. I also think its great that you found ways to enjoy your time in Disney without spending tons of money.

So my suggestion to you is: start saving your money for your next trip to Walt Disney World and make it your best vacation ever and to heck with what anybody else thinks, family members included. I really liked what XQIXX said its their problem not yours. I grew up watching Walt Disney showing us all the great things about his Disneyland and begging my parents to take us. I never got there as a kid and it wasn't until 1990 when I was 34 that I finally got to WDW. Every time we go back its just as much fun as the first time. Our 3 year old almost had as much fun as my DW and I had on that first trip. My parents actually beat me to WDW when I was about your age and was temporarily side tracked from my love of Disney.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

There were many previous posts that gave great ideas for response as well as support for your love of Disney. Although my Mom never went as far as some, she too doesn't understand why I have "all this Disney stuff" around. Although other posters suggested trying to convert the nay sayers, I say...leave them alone. Why fill the parks with people who don't want to be there when the rest of us are out for a good time. They are welcome to "see the light", but they can figure it out on their own. I'd not enjoy someone trying to convert me to NASCAR, Country music, or tatoos.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I think when fans say that the others "don't get it" they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Nothing is universally loved or appreciated. I also think you need to be honest to yourself...Disney is primarily for kids but it's OK if adults like it too. Also, from reading these posts I've realized that many of us don't even like Disney for the same reasons. Many are fans of certain characters, or of the Disney Channel shows, or Mickey Mouse etc. If you got 50 of the people from these boards together I'd bet there wouldn't even be a consensus among them on many Disney topics. Don't try to win over the haters. Just ignore them and share your enthusiasm with those that appreciate it. And if relatives mock you over your love of Disney, that's OK too. It's one less Christmas present you have to buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast