Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Disney World Fans that "tried" Disneyland in the Community Center forums; Hey gang! My wife and I are huge Disney fans and try to get to WDW at least once a year. For my wife's 30th I surprised her with our ...
    Brer Matt is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs down Disney World Fans that "tried" Disneyland

Hey gang! My wife and I are huge Disney fans and try to get to WDW at least once a year. For my wife's 30th I surprised her with our first trip to Disneyland. (partially based on Lou's influence in the show "why every disney world fan needs to visit disneyland"). We were amazed by how different a feel it was in Disneyland and I am curious to see what others who are loyal to the world, thought of Disneyland.
    We thought some aspects were far worse and some far better. I'll wait to see if the forum gains steam to start listing individual things but i'll start it with this... In my opinion, the Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean is worth the price of admission alone and has forever ruined the WDW version for me.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Re: Disney World Fans that "tried" Disneyland

We got a chance to try it last year while my dad was on a business trip. I love love love WDW but DL has such a cozy feel to it that I'm just as much of a DL fan now. I felt the Disneyland was a manageable size, felt more of Walt there than in wdw and I completely agree 100% about DL's POTC vs WDW's. I loved So many things about it and I can only hope one day that I will return there.

Pros of DL:
    Nice size
    cozy and historical feeling
    neat and exciting rides
    longer ride times
    and New Orleans Square

Con's:
    park is more crowed because of the size
    little bit more cut up and not as many wide walkways to different lands (could be cause there was construction)

Over all I love DL and can't wait to visit again!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I always have, and forever will, like Disneyland better
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

FritzTiki is offline A-Ticket holder

I grew up going to Disneyland every summer while visiting my grandparents who lived in Pasadena. I was just out there a couple months ago for the first time in 15 years and it made me remember why I love Disneyland more than the Magic Kingdom. For me, I like the exterior of the Haunted Mansion better ( it makes more sense in my head to see it in New Orleans Square rather than Liberty Square). The Pirates of the Carribean is far superior at DL, DL also has the original version of The Enchanted Tiki Room. I also like the DL Jungle Cruise better than the Magic Kingdom version, not to mention that you can't ride Indiana Jones at Magic Kingdom. Don't get me wrong I love Disneyworld but when I'm comparing park to park, Disneyland is far superior to Magic Kingdom.

Brer Matt is offline A-Ticket holder

Yes, I def. agree that when comparing Disneyland itself to the Magic Kingdom I would likely chose Disneyland over Magic Kingdom. The quaintness of Main Street, Pirates, and even something as simple as the canoe rides around the rivers of america just felt "right", and less commercial than Magic Kingdom has become. However there def. were some negatives. The locals aspect of the park was a big letdown. Im sure being there close to graduation times didn't help but there is a large influx of teenagers at Disneyland, a definite parents drop off/pickup type of park that you just do not get at Magic Kingdom. Not that people weren't well behaved, there is just something that irks you when your sitting on a boat around pirates and a majority of the boat is on their iphones on facebook rather than enjoying the experience. We also were largely disappointed in DCA, paradise pier to be specific. California Screamin' we felt to be a pretty cookie cutter roller coaster with the least amount of theme ever put into a ride by disney. And i do not believe that "no theme, is the the theme" as a valid reason. However we were lucky enough to have World of Color premiere fall on our last night of our trip. The show was absolutely amazing and I can only hope it finds its way to Disney World at some point. However the did try "showpass", which was basically Fastpass but for the World of Color and bottom line is, the system does not work! It sounds like a good idea in theory but was an absolute mess when put into operation. We still had to get to the show 3 hours prior to secure a good spot and were then herded like cattle into our sections, making even going to the bathroom an adventure. If this is going to be the case with "showpass", i say keep it the old way and if someone is willing to camp out for a spot, more power to them.

Being the "redhead" and pirate fan that I am the first thing I did was ride POTC. I couldn't believe it!! They need to put that in WDW. And you know they have the room that they could. Would be a MAJOR refurb tho but so worth it!!

My first and only visit to DL was last year for the half marathon and D23 expo. While I did get my time in the parks I still didn't spend the time I really did in them. I missed most of DCA because of things going on. At least I got to see Aladdin before it leaves (if it leaves). I think most of my problem was I wasn't familiar with the park to know what was where to move around it like I do in WDW.
    It is smaller but I did like that you didn't need a bus or car to get to DCA or DTD. It's nice that everything is within walking distance.

I can't wait to go back next year for the expo and spend some real time in the parks with friends.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

WyckedPhoenix is offline D-Ticket Holder

Not that I have a lot of room to talk cause I have never been to WDW yet but I love Disneyland! I was raised going to that park and it will always be special but I hope to not look at the Magic Kingdom and compare. We are going to start our trip there and I really just want to enjoy it for what it is... not compare it.
    *Jennifer Lynn*
    NDW #38
    Fist EVER WDW trip in October 2011!
    Things about me....

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

The Better Half and I went to DL for our Aniiversary last February . We thought DL was every bit as good as WDW. The biggest difference was you can walk anywhere. That is a great feature. For all that WDW tries to make transportation convenient you still ahve to factor it into your plans. At DL spur of the moment stuff is much easier because everything is in walking distance.

- POTC is better at DL the extra theming and drops are great
    - Space Mountian is better at DL the theming good and I like the side by side seating better.
    - The Indiana Jones attraction really needs to get transplanted to WDW
    - The Sub ride with Nemo was great because I'm all nostalgic for 29K Under Sea
    - Toontown at DL is better thasn WDW Toon Town it feels liek a town, WDW Toon Town we skip a lot
    - Great Moments with Mr Lincoln is mazing

- WDW has the game wrapped up when to comes to monorails
    - WDW DTD is more expansive and bigger variety of everperiences
    - The Castle at WDW is better, sorry but it is true
    - Tower of terror is a draw they are both different in small ways
    - Maunted Mansion at WDW is a hands down winner

While there are less dining choices at DL I think the overall quality is better

Liked California Adventure just fine. They are putting a ton of work into it
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.

As an east coast kid, it took getting stationed out in southern California for me to finally get around to checking out Uncle Walt's original (naturally, with my fondest childhood memories being in central Florida, I admit my bias right up front). Overall, I dig the place, but there is a very definite atmosphere difference that I feel there. Might be tough to explain in a way that makes sense, but it seems to me that there's much more of an effort to "preserve the Magic" back east. Just for one example, I should not be seeing Tom Sawyer lookalikes or Haunted Mansion maids cutting through the queue over in Space Mountain. Just a very different attitude in Cali, I guess.

Some of it is by design, though, and I can appreciate it. For example, they use the khaki-clad, fedoraed CMs from the Indiana Jones attraction as crowd control during the parades. When I got chatty with one of them one day and asked what the rationale was, their reply was "Would you mess with Indiana Jones?" I just smiled, nodded and tipped my own fed to them.

While I know I'm in the minority, I still prefer POTC in Florida. And personally, the exterior of the Haunted Mansion here at Disneyland looks way too friendly to me.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.

Apologies for the back-to-backs, but I should have mentioned that it broke my heart the first time I saw the castle at Disneyland for myself. While I know it was the Beta version, I remember thinking that I've seen Pizza Huts more opulent than that. And spoiled by WDW, I nearly wept on my first DL monorail ride........
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Honeyb33 is offline A-Ticket holder

While it was many years ago, I have kept many great memories of Disneyland with me. I agree with most of the posts above. It's difficult to explain, but there is definitely a different vibe in Disneyland. It's almost as if Tinker Bell sprinkled extra fairy dust over Disneyworld. However, I would never pass up the chance to visit Disneyland because it has different things to offer and is very cool to compare and contrast the two.