Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss What's happening to this site? in the Community Center forums; I have not posted for awhile because I feel this wonderful website is losing its way. According to Lou Mongello this site is about : Disney World Trivia.com For secrets, ...
    Triviateer is offline B-Ticket Holder

What's happening to this site?

I have not posted for awhile because I feel this wonderful website is losing its way. According to Lou Mongello this site is about:

Disney World Trivia.com

For secrets, history & fun facts about Walt Disney World,
    we are the ultimate online resource!
    Walt Disney World. These three words evoke images that most everyone has seen or experienced. DisneyWorldTrivia.com is your complete online resource for Walt Disney World vacation planning, news, tips, articles, free downloads, MP3, pictures, videos, and more! be sure to join our fun, friendly message forums and be a part of the DisneyWorldTrivia.com Team! You can also enhance your Disney experience at home or at the parks with Disney trivia, secrets, history and fun facts! We are also home to the Walt Disney World Trivia Book written by Louis A. Mongello.

In recent weeks I have seen and read certain things that have no bearing to Disney or Walt Disney World in any way, shape, or form, even in this General Discussion. Perhaps I am in the minority on this issue, but I wanted my feelings known. I have tried to send a private message to Mr. Mongello, but my messages don't seem to get through. I was wondering how other members feel about this?
    "The greatest happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." --Victor Hugo

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Lou is a busy man it might a little while for him to get to you. Personaly I don't see anything wrong with the site except its a great place to talk about disney. But I am happy that you are willing to speak your mind because it makes this place even better.

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    I'm completely satisfied with this site and I hold most of the administration in highest respects in their efforts to keep Lou's creation a child friendly internet experience, despite Grump and myself hehe.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i have to be honest, i have been pulling the site away a little. i love Disney and all, but it's not my entire life. i don't eat and breathe and sleep Disney every momment. i enjoy it a lot, one of my favorite things, but Disney doesn't define me, i have more depth then that.

so, i often come here and wonder, what else do these people do? what else are the interested in? not everybody can have mickey shaped waffles everyday, set the TV to the Disney Channel and rip out the knob, and only listen to Disney CDs and Disney Radio. you must have jobs that you go to. you must have friends or neighbors that you have non-Disney discussions with.

like me, my #1 passion in motorcycles and Harley Davidson, but my entire house isn't covered in Harley stuff, and i can carry on other human conversations beyond Harleys and Disney.

these things don't define me, i am my own person and i define who i am. so, i wonder, how do others define themselves here.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    another thing i have to add, there are some really wonderful people on this site that i've taken the time to get to know beyond the forums. and not with Disney related things, but have actually talked to them about who they are, what they do, what their hopes and fears are, etc., etc.

it would be a shame to not to get to know these excellent people because a few want to keep a facist stranglehold on the Disney topic.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triviateer
    I have not posted for awhile because I feel this wonderful website is losing its way.

In recent weeks I have seen and read certain things that have no bearing to Disney or Walt Disney World in any way, shape, or form, even in this General Discussion.

General Discussion forum is just that: open for any topic, Disney or not. It even says that in its description. "Feel free to talk about any topic (with reason and in good taste, of course), that you like!"

Yes, in some threads there have been instances drifting off topic. It seems to happen for two reasons: 1) someone doesn't read the previous messages, or doesn't read them thoroughly enough to understand the question/topic at hand; and 2) someone is trying to be funny, maybe just a little too hard.

If there are threads in particular that you feel are inappropriate, you can also contact the moderators of that particular forum.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    If there are threads in particular that you feel are inappropriate, you can also contact the moderators of that particular forum.
    If you do feel that a post is inappropriate, there is a little triangle under the posters name that if you click on that is will sent the post with your comments to the mods of the threads. Also, if you find a certain peoples posts constantly bother you, then you can choose to have that persons post blocked by adding them to your ignore list. What this does is shows that the person has posted, but you don't see what they have written. You do have to option of viewing their post in a thread one at a time, if you feel you want to try and follow the converstation.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask the mods and we will be more then happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch
    Also, if you find a certain peoples posts constantly bother you, then you can choose to have that persons post blocked by adding them to your ignore list. What this does is shows that the person has posted, but you don't see what they have written. You do have to option of viewing their post in a thread one at a time, if you feel you want to try and follow the converstation.
    i'm glad you mentioned that, because i was just about to do the same. it's amazing how great that feature is and yet how under used it is. amazing, actually being empowered to view things the way you want to instead of just mindlessly accepting what is presented to you, who would've thought!

i'll be the first to step up to the plate and make it easy. want to ignore me, just click here, that simple

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Triviateer
    I have not posted for awhile because I feel this wonderful website is losing its way.
    Okay, I'm a little confused... Your original join date is April 26th, so wouldn't the state of DWT be just about the same as a few weeks ago?

Don't get me wrong - I agree that there are a lot more "off-topic" threads/pictures now than there were when I originally joined. But I don't think that the frequency of off-topic posts have increased much since March.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife
    Okay, I'm a little confused... Your original join date is April 26th, so wouldn't the state of DWT be just about the same as a few weeks ago?

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife

Don't get me wrong - I agree that there are a lot more "off-topic" threads/pictures now than there were when I originally joined. But I don't think that the frequency of off-topic posts have increased much since March.

he might be someone who re-joined under another name.......

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    The more ppl join the site the more diverse the topics are going to be, which is a good thing(to a point of course-bearing in mind child friendly)

i also like to consider the ppl on this site someone i can talk to about good or bad things that happen to me-everyone needs some sort of moral support once in a while. And yes, I do love all things Disney related but like was said above "ppl do have other interests too" and that is what the general discussion forum is for tho for some reason it still tends to drift back to Disney (WE JUST CAN"T HELP OURSELVES...LOL)

Don't give up on a very good site with only a month of membership, give yourself some time to get to know the folks involved b4 judging them. And I would think also that Lou is a busy person with a family who can't reply instantly to all his messages. He does a great job running a FREE site and might take a while to get back to you but I'm sure he does his best to respond to the mega amounts of mail he probably gets daily-and if you keep up on the posts you will see he has been traveling quite a bit lately so just give him time. WE LOVE YOU LOU>>>>LOL
    Again give it some time....
    Last edited by vixen101485; 05-21-2005 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

I actually had to laugh when I read this thread. Although things other than Disney are discussed on this site, I think for the most part it follows true to the Disney "Trivia, Secrets, History and Fun Facts"! I am also a member of the disboards and let me tell ya, if you don't like it here because it's "losing it's way", then you definitely do not want to go over there! The other day there was a big battle about to wear or not wear flip flops and who your celebrity crush was! Now...that is off track! I think that Lou does a great job with this site and I completely look forward to seeing what my DWT family has to say on a daily basis. I haven't been here that long, but I am proud to say that I am a member! The great thing about America is that you always have a choice and a say.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I vote FOR flip flops...no laces to tie...except the kind that hurt between your toes...lol
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Triviateer,

I decided to post my reply here rather than a PM to you personally, "Triviateer", as you have chosen to make your personal issues public about the site.

First of all, I have never received a PM from you. If you have sent me one under another username, please let me know. Anyone who has sent me an email or PM knows that I respond almost immediately upon my receipt of same.

As to your comments about the site "losing its way", I not only agree with Jacknife's keen observation that your join date was just three weeks ago, but wonder why you question the site's growth? I have done nogthing more than spend every possible moment on this site in trying to make it the best possible venue for my visitors and members to enjoy. What, do you not like the fact that there's more than just trivia? if so, you don't need to visit those sections. I also concur that if topics in the General Discussions don't interest you, you have the option not to participate. However, this site also helps people become friends, and often times people want to talk about more than just Disney.

It was my goal when I started these forums a little more than a year ago to distinguish ourselves from other sites by being as friendly as we can all be to every member, whether they are a "newbie", veteran, casual fan, tall, short whatever. To that end, I think we are still the "happiest forum on earth." I get numerous suggestions about how to improve the site, help it grow in content and membership, etc., and after careful consideration, often try to implement many of these good ideas. I am thankful for the help and advice that is offered to me about the site, as I feel it is the members' site to enjoy. And I really do want to create a place that everey member can call "home."

However, I question why I recently have had to deal with such silliness as this. After coming home from a 12-hour day or so from work, I immediately come to work on the site and forums and participate in threads as much as I can. I spend a great deal of time and money on this site, and this is the type of comment I'm forced to deal with?

To be honest, I have to question your motivation for your post and creation of this thread. If you are not satisfied with the site, I make it clear that anyone can forward me suggestions via PM or email, neither of which I received from you. I know that you cannot make all people happy all the time, but I really do try my best to do that with this site. I am sorry if you do not like how the site continues to grow, but if that's the case, why not just stop participating rather than creating a thread like this?

Believe me, I take it personally when someone doesn't like what's happening on site or forums, or wants to leave, not participate as much, is unhappy, etc. I had hoped and endeavored not to have to deal with some of the things I have been forced to address lately, and am often put in quite an unenviable position. I'm sure many of you don't realize the double-edged sword I am faced with when someone says they don't like a post, and I'm then forced to make a decision that will inevitably make someone unhappy. There is nothing I dislike more than having to review posts and forums and sometimes even modify a user's post.
    If you think having to do that, or even deal with it is easy, I can assure you it is not.

That being said, I can only say that while the site's name is still DisneyWorldTrivia.com, I am thankful to the visitors, readers and members of this community who have helped my little site about my little book grow as it has. I know that I have received a great deal of positive feedback about how we have grown, and I cannot express how much that means to me. I am truly saddened when I hear that people are unhappy, but understand that the site is more than a place for trivia games and questions about WDW - it has evolved into a meeting place for those of us who share a common interest. As fans of Disney, it has become a great place to have some fun, and even make new friendships.

With regard to you personally, Triviateer, I of course cannot tell you what to do. I am sorry you feel as you do. If you want to make comments or suggestions to me personally, I invite you (or anyone else for that matter), to PM me or email me at lou@disneyworldtrivia.com. I hope that whatever you do, you respect that work that I put into the site, as well as the enjoyment of its other members.

I hope that you still do feel that the site is "wonderful" and continue to enjoy all that it has to offer.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast