Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Reason for loving Disney/being a Disney fan in the Community Center forums; I was listening to a podcast the other night on Disney Driven Life, and also I have been reading a book, Inside the Mouse: Work and Play at Disney World, ...
    eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Question Reason for loving Disney/being a Disney fan

I was listening to a podcast the other night on Disney Driven Life, and also I have been reading a book, Inside the Mouse: Work and Play at Disney World, The Project on Disney . In both cases, there was a point brought up that people who "love/are obsessed" with Disney had some sort of traumatic event in their life happen, and therefore turned to Disney for "comfort".

Speaking from experience, I have had to deal with some situations in my life, where yes, I did "turn" to Disney for "comfort", either by watching a movie, listening to a podcast, or during a visit to the park. But I am not sure I agree this is the reason I LOVE Disney. I love Disney because of many different reasons. (I don't know if I want to list them, it may be too long of a list haha). Yes, Disney does take away "real life" for a while and makes you feel happy. But a lot of other things do too.

Just curious what everyone else thinks?
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Reason for loving Disney/being a Disney fan

I can definitely relate to this. I've been a fan of Disney ever since I was a little tot, but really immersed myself in to all the animations and characters when I was about 7 when we had a tragedy that literally ripped my family in pieces. One day I was living with my mum and dad and brother and sister in a close-knit family unit and the next it was just me and my parents. I know that the Disney characters gave me a lot of comfort as I felt very much alone for a long time and I certainly felt that Mickey and the gang were my friends - it sounds cheesy, but they helped me get through a tough time in my life when I was too young to probably know where else to turn.

Even now, if I'm having a bad day, I just have to throw a Disney DVD in the player or listen to the park music on my iPod and I go straight to my happy place.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

No traumatic event for me, just the best vacation ever. I couldn't believe how much I liked it.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

I was brainwashed as a kid. I didn't stand a chance.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

ajwiseman09 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I liked going to Disney as a kid and teenager (we only went about 4 times), but then when I started dating my now husband, his family are big fans. The real obsession didn't start until I got engaged and started planning a honeymoon (to Disney of course). In the 16 months we have been married we have been to Disney 5 times.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." Walt Disney

Prior to 1998-Offsite (2 trips)
    2000-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2001-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2006-Offsite (3)
    10/10/09-10/17-Coronado Springs (Honeymoon) (6)
    12/31/09-1/4/10-All Star Movies (New Years) (3)
    10/7/10-10/16-Wilderness Lodge (1st Ann.) (8)
    11/24/10-11/28-Lighthouse Keys (2)
    3/9/11-3/15/11-LK & PO Riverside (5)
    7/29/11-8/6/11- LK and Disney Dream (3)
    9/2/11-9/6/11- LK (4)
    12/31-1/6/12 - LK and Carribbean Beach (7)
    3/29-4/2 - Pop Century (3)
    7/27-7/30 - LK (4)
    11/1-11/11 - Poly, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Dream (5)
    5/23/13-5/27 - LK (5)
    8/3-811 - Disneyland (4)

Total Days in Disney Parks: 72

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I was very fortunate and have had a fairly easy life. My appreciation of Disney came from visiting the parks in the mid 70s and then moving to Florida as a teen. I've been able to go to WDW dozens of times and I love the attention to detail and the way you are immersed into the experience. I can't relate to the trauma angle.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Disney05 is online now Premium Annual Passholder

I remember watching The Wonderful World Of Disney on Sunday nights as a kid. Grew up watching Winnie the Pooh. Didn't take my first WDW trip until my wife and I did in 91 and 92. Then in 2005 we took our two kids. Don't really know how it happened but that's the year the real obsession to WDW took effect. Something clicked. We've been going every year since. And now my life revolves around all things Disney.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Cherinva is offline Fastpass Holder

Nothing like that for me...I grew up watching the Wonderful World of Color and fell in love with all things Disney. I went to DL for the first time as an adult..then moved back east and have been going to WDW since the 80s....love it.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!

No traumatic experience for me. I'm just genuinely amazed by the genius of an American Icon who has created a world where I forget about everything else in life. I told my husband at the MK on Sunday that someday, heaven is going to be gold-paved Walt Disney World.
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

Simple it makes me happy and good things happen when I go there Plus grew up watching Cinderelly and Aladdin mainly! Most played vid in my house when I was little was prob Aladdin actually.