Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Any Florida Transplants out there??? in the Community Center forums; Hey Guys, I am brand new to the forum! I came across Lou's awesome WDW Radio podcasts just recently. I wanted to see if there were any Florida transplants out ...
    DisneyRunnerMom is offline A-Ticket holder

Any Florida Transplants out there???

Hey Guys,

I am brand new to the forum! I came across Lou's awesome WDW Radio podcasts just recently.

I wanted to see if there were any Florida transplants out there. My hubby and I are planning to make the move to Florida by year end. We live up in the Northeast and have been wanting to move there for years as my husband grew up in Florida.

We have been looking into moving to the Orlando or Tampa depending on where we find jobs.

Can anyone lend any adivce on moving to FL, house hunting, or most importantly how to go about a job search while living in a different state - think the most challenging thing is how to increase my chances of getting my foot in the door when you live so far away.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Laura

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Any Florida Transplants out there???

I've lived in Florida since 1982 after moving from NJ. I wouldn't live an any other state. My advice is to find a place with a good school system, city water (not well) and find out if you can tolerate the traffic. My wife and I have been looking for a larger house (and property) in the state and after seeing the horrible traffic we excluded the Orlando area from our searches. I live in South Florida and have seen many changes since initially moving here. I'd also look at the demographics of areas you are interested in to see if you "fit in". Good luck.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

disneybill is offline A-Ticket holder

We recently Moved to Orlando/Kissimmee area .we are from NH and used rent.com to find our housing there are a lot of sites to look at for jobs.hope this helps some

Bill

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Moved to Melbourne from NJ about 12 years ago.

I found my job through the Orlando Sentinel's web site. I'm sure most of the local papers must have online classifieds by now. The Sentinel serves all of central FL. Florida Today serves the east coast, and they probably have their own equivalent for the Tampa area and suburbs.

The line of work you're in will probably have an impact on what area you look into. Health care is in demand (for now) pretty much everywhere. I believe we still have a teacher shortage in Brevard county, but I think other places may actually be laying teachers off. There's a lot of high-tech around here, but there are also around 6000 extremely skilled high-tech workers about to be laid off at KSC, so competition for those jobs will be tough.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Welcome. Interviewing out of state is like any other job, could be electronic or a flight to the interview.

DisneyRunnerMom is offline A-Ticket holder

Hey Guys!

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice! Wow! The WDW Radio Community is really the nicest bunch people!

As for our game plan, what I am hoping is for either my hubby or I to find a job first. One of us (who ends up finding the job first) will move down to FL in an apartment until the other finds a job. We'll stay in the apartment until our house sells up here, then look for a house in FL. That way we don't feel rushed to buy any ol' property. It's going to be tough being apart for a period of time, but I know it is worth it in the end. It's been our dream to move to Florida since we started dating 7 years ago. I guess you have to make some sacrifices initially to eventually acquire your dream!

Just to give a little background... I am a contract analyst/administrator in the health care industry and my hubby is a stock broker. I hear Tampa is the place to be for his job and I see a few more opportunities for my area of expertise in Orlando. Maybe finding a house somewhere in the middle might be the best plan once we are down there.

-MartianCrab - that is a great suggestion! I am going to check out the city data for the areas we are looking to move. School system is a big deciding factor as my son is 3 years old and we want to get him into a good school system. I hear the Seminole County school system is better than Orange based on some research I did last night. I didn't even think about the well water vs city water. We have city water up here in NJ, so I will be sure to look for that as well! Best of luck on your house hunting too!!

-Disneybill - Congrats on your new move!! Another area we are looking into is Kissimmee as the prices of houses seem a bit better there. I have to say... anything is better than the housing prices in in NJ. I was shocked to see how much you can get for your money in FL, although I am sure it all washes out in the end based on each states average salaries. I will be sure to check out rent.com so thank you for the advice!

-tizzo - that is some great info! I will definitely check out Tampa's online classifieds as well as the Orlando Sentinal. It's great to know that the health care industry is doing well since that is my forte. I work for a pharm company in NJ. I noticed while job searching that there aren't many pharmaceutical companies in FL, but it seems my skills in contract administration can tranfer to many of the aerospace/defence companies, so maybe that will be beneficial!! Thank you so much for the info!

-NC_WDW_Daddy - That is good info. I didn't know if companies frown upon out-of -state candidates. I assume I just need to be very clear in my cover letter when I am available for phone or in person interviews and that I am looking to move immediately if an offer is extended.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! If you happen to think of any others, please feel free to pass it along!!

Laura