Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Disney Legend's Class of 2011 in the Community Center forums; JODI BENSON is an acclaimed voice actress and soprano singer who provided both the singing and speaking voices for Disney's Princess Ariel in The Little Mermaid and its sequels. For ...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Disney Legend's Class of 2011

JODI BENSON is an acclaimed voice actress and soprano singer who provided both the singing and speaking voices for Disney's Princess Ariel in The Little Mermaid and its sequels. For more than 20 years, Benson has voiced Ariel in film, television, video games, toys and at Disney Parks. She also starred as Sam in Disney's Enchanted and voiced Barbie in the hit Disney·Pixar films Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3, plus Weebo in the film comedy Flubber.

BARTON "BO" BOYD began his career at Disney 1968 as an Assistant Merchandise Supervisor at Disneyland. Continually advancing over the course of his 33-years with the company, Boyd was an integral part of the team creating merchandise specifically for Disneyland and Walt Disney World. In 1997, he was named Chairman of Disney Consumer Products where he oversaw such initiatives as Licensed Merchandise, Walt Disney Records, Hyperion Press, the entire line of Disney magazine products, Disney Catalog, Disney Interactive for computer games and educational software, ESPN — The Store, Walt Disney Classics Collection, Walt Disney Collectors Society and the establishment of the first Disney Store outside the grounds of the Disney Parks.

JIM HENSON, an Emmy® Award-winning television producer and Oscar®-nominated film director, was an American puppeteer and the creator of global phenomenon, The Muppets. The cross-cultural appeal of The Muppets propelled television shows like Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, and Fraggle Rock to new heights. The success of these series led Henson to explore feature films including The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan, as well as the technologically ground-breaking fantasy classics The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. The Muppet legacy continued with popular Disney films such as The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island, as well as the upcoming The Muppets, premiering this November.

LINDA LARKIN is a celebrated actress and popular voice performer best known for providing the voice of Princess Jasmine in the Disney animated feature Aladdin, its sequels, spin-offs and television specials. She has also been vocally featured in the Disney animated television series House of Mouse and the popular Kingdom Hearts video game.

PAIGE O'HARA is a Broadway actress and singer best known for providing the voice of Belle in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, its sequels, series and games. She also starred as Angela in the Disney film hit Enchanted. O'Hara has also been vocally featured in the Disney videogame Kingdom Hearts and as Belle on the 64th Annual Academy Awards®.

REGIS PHILBIN is an Emmy Award-winning, cultural icon who has entertained millions of people through talk shows, game shows, books and albums for more than 50 years. For the past 23 years, Americans have woken up to Philbin, thanks to the nationally syndicated hit talk show LIVE! with Regis and Kelly, which originated in 1983 when Philbin created The Morning Show for WABC in New York. In addition to his daytime success, Philbin launched ABC's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire into a primetime powerhouse and hosted a variety of shows including NBC's America's Got Talent, CBS' Million Dollar Password, and the 37th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.

JACK AND BONITA WRATHER struck a deal with their friend Walt Disney in 1954 to build a luxury family hotel on property adjacent to Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Ground was broken on March 18, 1955, and the hotel opened six and a half months later — 104 rooms in five two-story buildings at a starting room rate of $15. The Disneyland Hotel, originally conceived as simply lodging, presaged future developments in how Americans entertained themselves, pioneering, as Jack's son Chris wrote, "new forms of dining as entertainment, shopping as entertainment and the use of a waterfront setting" in an urban environment. The Disneyland Hotel has since played host to kings, queens, presidents, entertainment and sports legends and families from around the world.

ANIKA NONI ROSE is a renowned actress and singer who provided the voice of Princess Tiana in Disney's The Princess and the Frog. In addition, some of her Broadway, television and film credits include her Tony® Award-winning performance in Caroline, or Change, the blockbuster feature film Dreamgirls, and television series including The Starter Wife and The Good Wife.

LEA SALONGA is a celebrated actress and singer who provided the singing voice for two Disney Princesses: Jasmine in Aladdin, and Fa Mulan in Mulan and Mulan II. In addition to her recording and television career, Salonga's vast Broadway credits are highlighted by her performance as Kim in Miss Saigon which garnered her numerous awards including a Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics' Circle and Theater World Awards.

RAY WATSON was President of The Irvine Company when he was asked to join the Board of Directors for Walt Disney Productions in 1973. Watson's early tenure on the Board saw the expansion of Walt Disney World, the 1976 opening of River Country — Disney's first water park, and the opening of EPCOT Center, in 1982, which at a cost of $1 billion was the largest private land development project ever at that time. In 1983, Watson was elected as Chairman of the Board and after stepping down as chairman 1984, remained on the Board until he retired in 2004 after serving the Company for 30 years and establishing a worldwide reputation as a real estate development visionary.

GUY WILLIAMS was an acclaimed actor who starred in the hit Disney television series Zorro and two feature films, The Sign of Zorro and Zorro the Avenger. Williams' charming portrayal of Zorro helped galvanized the character in the public's imagination and made the series a favorite among the Baby Boomer generation and beyond. His other popular television credits include the hit series Bonanza and Lost in Space.

So there's the list for this year. But hold on...

We have new Legends such as the voice of Ariel... the voice of Belle... the creator of the Muppets... the person who helped expand WDW and... ANIKA NONI ROSE AND REGIS PHILBIN?! Really?

I mean absolutely no disrespect to these two individuals but seriously... a person who has done a single voice for a single Disney movie that came out in 2009 and the person who has been on LIVE! for 25 years too long. I can see Regis being a Legend more than I can Anika, but that's just me.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Disney Legend's Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post

So there's the list for this year. But hold on...

We have new Legends such as the voice of Ariel... the voice of Belle... the creator of the Muppets... the person who helped expand WDW and... ANIKA NONI ROSE AND REGIS PHILBIN?! Really?

I mean absolutely no disrespect to these two individuals but seriously... a person who has done a single voice for a single Disney movie that came out in 2009 and the person who has been on LIVE! for 25 years too long. I can see Regis being a Legend more than I can Anika, but that's just me.
    Anika is a very diverse actress. I think a lot of movie people discredit theater as an accomplishment and Anika certainly came from a very sucessful run under the theater lights. The movie DreamGirls was great for her resume and I am a great fan of the TV show Good Wife and she certainly added character to her role. I am a fan of the lady.

Now Regis, I think he is the personification of a Legend. The diversity and the ability to withstand time along with notoriety. I put him in the classifications of Legends like Johnny Carson and Oprah. I loved Johnny and Oprah makes my skin crawl. All crawling aside I still believe her to be a Legend in the entertainment industry as I believe Regis is also.

So I give credit to those who come up with the lists. They seem to be able to put their personal feelings toward artists aside and look at the whole picture they bring to the entertainment industry.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

With all of the voice talent they've recognized this year, I'm shocked no one in the company has considered Jonathan Freeman, yet. Beyond the voice of Jafar, he has been in every Disney Broadway show since Beaty and the Beast way back when. He's found a great nitch within in the company when it comes to acting.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I'm happy to see that so many names from the class of 2010 and 2011 are alive and well. This will allow me to collect more signed Legends certificates. I spent yesterday morning going through the list from the inception of the program and was unfortunately able to whittle the list down quite a bit. Didn't realize how many we lost in the past two or three years alone. I did send off three yesterday and hope to get another three or four out tomorrow, including Jodi Benson. The fun has been trying to hunt down the lesser known Legends, which includes people connected to the parks and some of the animators. So far so good, though! Hope my luck continues... it's been fun!
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I'm happy to see that so many names from the class of 2010 and 2011 are alive and well. This will allow me to collect more signed Legends certificates. I spent yesterday morning going through the list from the inception of the program and was unfortunately able to whittle the list down quite a bit. Didn't realize how many we lost in the past two or three years alone. I did send off three yesterday and hope to get another three or four out tomorrow, including Jodi Benson. The fun has been trying to hunt down the lesser known Legends, which includes people connected to the parks and some of the animators. So far so good, though! Hope my luck continues... it's been fun!

Well except Jim Henson, like Walt we lost him way too early.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Anika is a very diverse actress. I think a lot of movie people discredit theater as an accomplishment and Anika certainly came from a very sucessful run under the theater lights. The movie DreamGirls was great for her resume and I am a great fan of the TV show Good Wife and she certainly added character to her role. I am a fan of the lady.

Now Regis, I think he is the personification of a Legend. The diversity and the ability to withstand time along with notoriety. I put him in the classifications of Legends like Johnny Carson and Oprah. I loved Johnny and Oprah makes my skin crawl. All crawling aside I still believe her to be a Legend in the entertainment industry as I believe Regis is also.

So I give credit to those who come up with the lists. They seem to be able to put their personal feelings toward artists aside and look at the whole picture they bring to the entertainment industry.
    Gotta disagree. Unless any of Anika's movies were made for Touchstone or any other Disney-based studio, then her past credits outside of Disney should have no bearing at all on her "Legend" award. If her only credit was as the lead voice in that stinker of a Disney princess movie, then by all means, take the award away. And I'm sorry, but as a guy, I really don't get the whole "Dreamgirls" thing.

As for Regis, and I can say with my hand over my heart that I have never ONCE watched Regis and Kathy Lee/Kelly OR a single episode of that silly Millionaire show. But if I can guess correctly, Philbin's talkshow much be on ABC, and if that is the case, then yes, he should be recognized for his contributions to Disney's television programming.

Ray Watson was President of Disney Productions, between Card Walker (a Disney Legend) and Michael Eisner. For all of one year.

Maybe Disney is just running out of people to nominate with each passing year.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

I am so excited that Jodi Benson is on the list. We met her this past December and had the honor of hearing her sing at a private concert and attended a meet and greet with her. She is a great ambassador for the Disney Company. The Little Mermaid is still my daughter's favorite Disney movie. Also, she was in Toy Story 2 and 3. So, she now has another current fan base.

We have been VERY lucky to have met some Disney Legends over the years . . .

Newest Disney Legend - Jodi Benson

Bob Gurr

(This is the most energetic 80 year old I've ever met. He even joined a group of us at Epcot to "Drink Around the World".)

Charlie Ridgway

(My husband called him Mr. Ridgway and he said, "Call me Charlie." Very cool! If you haven't already read his book and are a Disney buff, you must! It's called Spinning Disney's World. )

Marty Sklar

(The picture can tell you how "giddy" I was to meet Marty. You would have thought he'd be Mr. Business, but he was VERY personable and approachable. )

My husband and I did an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic Tour in California and missed Dave Smith by ten minutes. I was really bummed!

Hopefully, we can add more Disney Legends to our wall of fame. We really love Disney in general, not just the parks. So, meeting these Disney Legends was truly and honor.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Very very cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures!! I'm envious. Living here in NYC, I'm not exactly in Legends Territory.

This is the collage I created for the Disney Legends to sign. This is the only one I was able to get autographed in person, right after one of his performances in Manhattan:

Here are the autographs I've been able to obtain on the Legends Certificates I created, broken up by caterogy:

Bob Gurr - Imagineering
    Marty Sklar - Imagineering

Don Iwerks - Film Production

Tyrus Wong - Animation

Bill Farmer Animation, voice
    Mary Costa - Animation, voice
    Tony Anslemo - Animation, voice
    Robin Williams - Animation, voice

Richard Sherman - Music
    Sir Tim Rice - Music

Art Linkletter - Parks & Resorts

Angela Lansbury - Film
    Tim Conway - Film
    Dlck Van Dyke - Film
    Dean Jones - Film
    Hayley Mills - Film

Betty White - Film & Television
    Annette Funicello - Film & Television

Barbara Walters - Television
    Frank Gifford - Television
    Last edited by supernova; 07-07-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Here is a list of the other Disney-related autographs I have been fortunatey to receive through the mail in response to my letter, though not (yet?) on certificates:

Imagineers/Family
    Diane Disney Miller (Walt's daughter)
    Roy E. Disney (Walt's nephew)
    Joe Rohde (Imagineer) (also sent his business card and a nice note)
    Melodey Malmberg (Joe Rohde's wife and fellow Imagineer)
    Tony Baxter (also sent his business card)
    Michael Eisner
    Bob Iger

Attractions
    Drew Carey (on photo of Sounds Dangerous)
    Gilbert Gottfried (on photo of Enchanted Tiki Room)
    Tim Allen (on photo of Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin)
    Geoffrey Rush (on photo of Pirates of the Caribbean)
    Judi Dench (on photo of Spaceship Earth)
    Jeremy Irons (on photo of Spaceship Earth)
    Kal David (on photo of Sonny Eclipse)
    Janet Waldo (on photo of Carousel of Progress)

Parks/Hotels
    Michael Graves (designer) (on photo of Swan & Dolphin)
    Kellie Coffey (singer of, "We Go On") (on photo of IllumiNations)
    Last edited by supernova; 07-14-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Will pull together a list of the letters I have pending for Legends Certificate autographs and post it here soon!
    Last edited by supernova; 07-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Will pull together a list of the letters I have pending for Legends Certificate autographs and post it here soon!
    Is there an address where you send correspondence for receiving Disney Legends autographs? The certificate you created looks awesome!

Of all the ones you have, I am most envious of three ... Joe Rohde, Angela Lansbury and Betty White. My husband tells me I am old because I like Murder, She Wrote and The Golden Girls. But, I do like House and CSI. So, that should balance it out!

We met Tony Baxter a couple of times on a Disney cruise one year. We did a DVC cruise and he was a speaker on the cruise. We rode the tram back to the ship with he and his wife. Once we got back onboard, we rode the elevator up together and got off on the same floor. We said "Bye!" and they went one way, we went the other. We ended up going the wrong direction and so did they and crossed paths again. It was funny. He was very friendly! However, it wasn't the time to ask for an autograph or picture. Now, I am kicking myself for not asking for at least a picture! Oh well ...
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)

"Sparkly"

If you'd like, PM me with a list of anyone you'd like to reach (along with Lansbury, White, and Rohde) and I'll see if I can help you out, Jennifer.

If you'd like, PM me with a list of anyone you'd like to reach (along with Lansbury, White, and Rohde) and I'll see if I can help you out, Jennifer.
    THANK YOU!

I think I may take you up on that offer!
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

Do feel free. I am very happy to help you out.

Heard back from Ray Walton while I was in Maine. One more for the collection.