Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss The Green Thing in the Community Center forums; In the line at the store, the cashier told an older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

The Green Thing

In the line at the store, the cashier told an older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to her and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

So true right? Our generation and the ones before didn't have "The Green Thing"...

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana .

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service.

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But she's right... we didn't have "The Green Thing" back then.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Re: The Green Thing

I love that. I saw it online a few weeks ago and it still rocks.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Sounds like Amish Paradise to me. I'm gonna go chill under my rock now.

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I read recently that recycling is contributing air pollution. Nice, but it's illegal to not recycle. Go figure.

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Disney.Gen.2.0 View Post
    I read recently that recycling is contributing air pollution. Nice, but it's illegal to not recycle. Go figure.
    There's pretty much nothing that involves machinery that does not contribute to air pollution. Your statistic and logic need a little knowledge base.

I (an environmentalist) love the sentiment expressed in that post. The sad truth is that when we as a country decided to put corporate interests first, we paved the way for material exploitation. Every one of those items are practices that were made extinct or altered in an unnecessary way by a company looking to make more money. Reuse of items and materials hurts a company's bottom line. By instilling in people that disposable is the way to be (by creating scare and distrust for the use of "old" things), they create a dearth of more sales and they continue the growth cycle.

We need to invest in people, ideas, and services that benefit each other. Not the disposable culture that has created every material/environmental problem to this day.

Soap boxes sure are worth stepping up on every once in awhile.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I've been looking for this thread.

My town has gone green. We now have these mega huge garbage containers that self lift to dump into garbage trucks. One for garbage, Land Fill materials and one for recyclables.

Note to Residents with the drop off of new garbage containers:

For residents wishing to dispose of their old garbage cans please place them out next to your garbage container and they will be removed at no extra charge.

And indeed they did, off to the land fill went hundreds and hundreds of obsolete garbage cans. Progress yes, green how?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.