Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Marceline, MO in the Community Center forums; Yesterday I visited Marceline, Missouri (Where Walt grew up). They had recently built a little museum in the Santa Fe Depot (the one that Main Street Station is modeled after). ...
    dreamitºoºdoit is offline A-Ticket holder

Marceline, MO

Yesterday I visited Marceline, Missouri (Where Walt grew up). They had recently built a little museum in the Santa Fe Depot (the one that Main Street Station is modeled after). One of the voulenteer workers in the museum had MET WALT DISNEY! Actually the story was that in the 50's when Walt was coming back to dedicate the pool in the town, this lady's house was the only one that had air conditioning, so the town asked if him and his wife could stay there! Her husband and Walt became close friends! She had LOTS of very interesting stories about Walt!

Also in the town, there was the Walt Disney Post Office which is the only federal building named after Walt. In the museum there was one of the cars that used to be in "Midget Autopia". Walt gave Marceline all 10 cars (1 is in the museum, 1 is bronzed and is a statue in the Disneyland autopia, and the other 8 were used to ride in the town) and it is the only Disney ride to ever be brought and run outside of Disney.

There was also the "Dreaming Tree" (as Walt called it) where Walt used to sit under most of the day and sketch whatever he saw- usually field mice. The tree was struck by lightning recently and may rot soon. So Walt's grandchild went and planted a tree near by.
    The town renamed the street that Main Street was modeled after "Main Street" on a Mickey Sign.

One thing that REALLY interested me was that in the town, the train depot was in the front, the "Main Street" was right behind it, his farm was to the north, and the water/ pond was to the west. If you think about it, this is how Disney is designed (Frontierland to the north, Jungle Cruise/ Water ride to the West).

They also said something about how Walt was going to have a "Marceline Project" so that there would be a reason to put his hometown that he loved so much on a map. However, he died soon after and Roy was too busy with Disney World that he couldn't Finish it. I'm very interested to know what would have been in this "Marceline Project", however when I look online, I can not find ANYTHING about it!

Kudos to the town for giving their all to keep the Disney history alive!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Marceline, MO

Quote Originally Posted by dreamitºoºdoit View Post
    Kudos to the town for giving their all to keep the Disney history alive!
    Don't kid yourself. They're not doing it to keep Disney history alive. Or at least not directly. If they didn't, no one would visit, and the town wouldn't even be on the map. (then again, I'm not sure how Missouri is even still on the map). But still, if they didn't do-up the Disney, then you would never have visited. It has nothing to do with heritage and everything to do with the tourist dollar.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Thanks so much for sharing this! I had actually read recently about the midget autopia and how it was rebuilt there but now sits dormant. I saw pictures of what is now the park with a fun tricycle path (the track for the cars) etc. as well as an interview with the woman who runs the museum (may be the same one you're talking about) and how they are trying to restore it and get it back up and running. I got the feeling that they really are proud to say they have that piece of Disney history.

I'd love to make a trip some day but alas with the lack of other options to make a full blown vacation out of it, I don't see it happening any time soon unfortunately. I'm envious of your visit! Post some pictures if you have any!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Don't kid yourself. They're not doing it to keep Disney history alive. Or at least not directly. If they didn't, no one would visit, and the town wouldn't even be on the map. (then again, I'm not sure how Missouri is even still on the map). But still, if they didn't do-up the Disney, then you would never have visited. It has nothing to do with heritage and everything to do with the tourist dollar.
    I agree with you that the tourist dollar is the ultimate goal, but it sounds like the poster here had a really nice time. Plus, even if something's just for a tourist dollar, what's wrong with a little preservation thrown in so big fans have a way to go back to a living, breathing part Walt Disney's biography that's not run by the Disney Company? After all, the company's simply after the tourist dollar as well but we all love it and go back over and over and over again.
    --------

@kathrynlynch on twitter

always looking for WDW fans to interact with, and if you live in PA/NJ that's even better!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Many of us WOULD gladly travel to Walt's home town, just cause of him. It would be nifty to visit his inspiration for the parks and so many of the things that influenced him. I think a few members have been there, and there might be a thread for that.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by PAdisneygirl View Post
    I agree with you that the tourist dollar is the ultimate goal, but it sounds like the poster here had a really nice time. Plus, even if something's just for a tourist dollar, what's wrong with a little preservation thrown in so big fans have a way to go back to a living, breathing part Walt Disney's biography that's not run by the Disney Company? After all, the company's simply after the tourist dollar as well but we all love it and go back over and over and over again.
    Yes, but the Disney Company admits it. Marceline is doing it under false pretenses. If it were for Walt's memory, things would be free
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Is my FP still in the barn?

See more pictures here: The Pygmy Post: Pygmy visits Marceline

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Brother, I've got to tell you that your negativity, that you likely view as "realism", is really misplaced here.

If WDW wasn't in Reedy Creek/Lake Buena Vista then you would have never visited there, either.

Based on the tourist dollar? Heritage? Please, tell me more.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Amen! And Pygmy... I am beyond jealous!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Brother, I've got to tell you that your negativity, that you likely view as "realism", is really misplaced here.

If WDW wasn't in Reedy Creek/Lake Buena Vista then you would have never visited there, either.

Based on the tourist dollar? Heritage? Please, tell me more.
    Yes, but the Disney Company admits it. Marceline is doing it under false pretenses. If it were for Walt's memory, things would be free
    Perhaps if you weren't so quick on the "Submit Reply" button and had scrolled just a bit further down...

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Wow, using the memory of a legend to draw tourists. How heinous.

Who cares what the intention is? It sounds like they're doing a nice job with it.

Just more northeastern snobbery, really. Oh those nefarious hilljacks!

A cynic till the day I die.

Life's too short, IMO. But, have at it.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Well, I wouldn't care if it was touristy/gimicky/money-oriented or whatever you call it - I would be off to Marceline in a shot if I didn't live on the otherside of the Atlantic! Sounds like you had a great visit dreamitºoºdoit - thanks for the report.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

Never said it wouldn't be neat to see. I just never saw the draw of the "George Washington slept here" gimmick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast