Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Treatise on goal-setting, tenacity, and seeing your dreams come to fruition: in the Community Center forums; Treatise on goal-setting, tenacity, and seeing your dreams come to fruition: Many individuals set out to improve themselves, especially when the calendar changes from one year to the next. This ...
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Treatise on goal-setting, tenacity, and seeing your dreams come to fruition:

Treatise on goal-setting, tenacity, and seeing your dreams come to fruition:

Many individuals set out to improve themselves, especially when the calendar changes from one year to the next. This tendency for self-improvement is inate and its drive can lead some to greatness. But why not all? What waylays most who endevour to improve their lots in life? One word PROCRASTINATION. Procrastination is the leading cause of not reaching our dreams. Our best laid plans seldom amount to nothing more than that, they remain plans. Why is that? Why do humans have such an unabiding knack for starting something and then not finishing? I believe there is no single cause. I believe beyond the old arguments of nature vs. nurture one can find myriad reasons, excuses, and causes for this phenomena but
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

UBMICK35000 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Treatise on goal-setting, tenacity, and seeing your dreams come to fruition:

For most people procrastination really means Fear of Failure!
    [indent]Who says you have to grow up? - Walt Disney

07 / 1990 off property
    09 / 1992 off property
    06 / 1997 Wilderness Lodge
    07 / 2000 Port Orleans
    06 / 2002 Wilderness Lodge
    12 / 2003 Grand Floridian
    09 / 2005 Disneyland Hotel
    09 / 2006 Boardwalk
    06 / 2007 Contemporary
    06 / 2008 Riverside
    03 / 2009 Caribbean Beach
    10 / 2010 Yacht Club
    05 / 2011 Polynesian
    12 / 2011 Disneyland Hotel
    06 / 2012 Disney Magic
    05 / 2013 'Grand' Californian
    12 / 2013 'Grand' Floridian

2009 D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Treatise on goal-setting, tenacity, and seeing your dreams come to fruition:

OMG! What turned you, of all people into a philosopher of the day? JK. Have you had an overload of Steve Jobs passing? So not you. Seriously.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

I have many facets.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Certainly is an interesting facet this time.

Thank you for noticing.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    OMG! What turned you, of all people into a philosopher of the day? JK. Have you had an overload of Steve Jobs passing? So not you. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by UBMICK35000 View Post
    For most people procrastination really means Fear of Failure!
    Yep. Definitely think the Crabster here, our very own WDWRadio sage, felt a bit upstaged by all the attention given to the Jobster.

Although a good point, as well, I'm gonna' go with a bit of a different take...fear of SUCCESS.
    Sooo much pressure and responsibility to keep doin' what you're doin', and not fail, once you actually succeed.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

One day I'll get around to finishing the rest of that treatise.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    One day I'll get around to finishing the rest of that treatise.
    I know you will...I saw your original post the day you posted it and noticed the procrastination at the end, but...........procrastinated in responding until just a few minutes ago...!

BTW...
    For the record...I like it so far.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

MartianCrab,

I can only speak for myself but fear is almost certainly the underlying reason. For me it's not so much as fear of failure or success, but of not being original. I'm still looking for that spark that makes delaying any longer intolerable. Sometimes I feel pretty close. I suppose the other part is, frankly, putting that foot forward, and then the next, and just keep walking.

I think I might head over to wikipedia and flip some quotes between Abe and Walt. Or start building that 3D model of If You Had Wings.