Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1010 of 1669 FirstFirst ... 105109109601000100810091010101110121020106011101510 ... LastLast
Results 15,136 to 15,150 of 25024
Like Tree1186Likes
General Discussions Discuss The RT Thread Part V in the Community Center forums; Originally Posted by HauntedGabe I had many conversations with our curriculum director in the Elementary years about the choices of literature. So many of the Gold and Silver award books ...
    Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Re: The RT Thread Part V

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I had many conversations with our curriculum director in the Elementary years about the choices of literature. So many of the Gold and Silver award books are so dang depressing. While they are very detailed and tell the story why are they all so maudlin?

What is wrong with the novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? I never saw the need to rush young and impressionable children into what happens in the real world. Ugh.
    I remember the choice of books getting worse every year in school. I did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the fourth grade. I only remember that because we read it aloud in class, and there was one instance in the book where a swear word was used and the teacher assigned me to read the page that it was on. I remember coming up to it and my little 10 year old self didn't know if I should say it or not, so I paused and had to think about it, and then decided I'd better skip over it. Well of course by that time the rest of the class was gasping in surprise at the bad word in a school book. The teacher told me later that day that she was sorry for putting me on the spot, but she had purposely picked me to read that page since I was one of the better readers in the class, and she was hoping I would just quickly read through the sentence before any of the other students even noticed the word was in there. Guess I ruined that plan for her.

But by the time I hit 8th grade, all of the books from there on out were horrible (with the exception of To Kill a Mockingbird- love that book). Old, old, old stuff that is dry and tough to get through but since they have become trademarks in literature, they are required reads. A good portion of my senior year was spent suffering through a whole buncha' Shakespeare, ew.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Okay, friends, Joseph Prince is on right now, so I am signing off.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    The fine art of slightly raising your voice and repeating back what they were saying just loud enough for the connecting sales ATT showroom to hear...she got a different new phone.
    Yep, that's how you have to do it. I've learned over the years how my mom deals with bad customer service...so I took a lesson out of her book tonight by threatening to use a different service provider, which I had no intention of actually doing, and voila, suddenly I became a "valued and loyal customer" whose issues were resolved right away.
    Last edited by Thumper10; 06-18-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Keasmom View Post
    Well, I was reading ahead for three years, and a lot of really depressing classics are coming up, unless I can find a suitable replacement AND get it approved. I try to stay a year ahead on reading lists, so I can get approvals to replace bad ones.

They read The Hiding Place this year as a lit assignment, in class. But some of the upcoming ones are horrible, depressng, deal with "stuff" and NO, just no.
    We read The Lord of The Flies, Romeo & Juliet, Looking for Alibrandi, Mandragora, Animal Farm & The Club. All high school reading. I'm sure we had others, but I can't recall them right now.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Okay, friends, Joseph Prince is on right now, so I am signing off.
    Good night
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

OMG Hawaiian Coconut is my FAVORITE late night coffee.
    Nate and I discovered a coffee place around here with TONS of different kinds of coffee. I found the Hawaiian coconut and now there is no going back for me.

We also have a butter rum flavored one right now, which is also very good. And Nate likes to try the kinds from other countries- so far we have done Kenya and Columbia. He is set on getting a bag of Kona from the Poly in August.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    We read The Lord of The Flies, Romeo & Juliet, Looking for Alibrandi, Mandragora, Animal Farm & The Club. All high school reading. I'm sure we had others, but I can't recall them right now.
    Never heard of Mandragoa, The Club, or Looking for Alibrandi, but we did the rest.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Missed a phone call from a lady at the zoo today, have to call her back tomorrow. Hoping to hear some sort of good news job or internship-wise.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    At this stage, we are most likely not going to challenge it. With less than 3 months until the wedding, I really don't want the added stress of appealing, and everything else that will come with it. Adelaide doesn't have an US Embassy or Consulate. I'd have to fly to Melbourne or Sydney.

We will definitely be planning a trip to WDW, next year. When we have more time to sort all this business out, with out a time limit. So atm, we are thinking maybe head to Tokyo Disneyland for our honeymoon.

I can't thank everyone enough, for all the support in the last 2 days. It means the world to me
    I hate to see you not get to go to WDW. all i know is that you got robbed. i could not care more.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper10 View Post
    Wow, that is great Steve. I didn't realize TDS perks were mostly the same as the parks CMs. I assume that means you have HUB access also?
    Thanks Amanda!
    Yes they are!
    And yes, we also have access to the HUB. I was on there earlier this evenin'.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    Thanks Amanda!
    Yes they are!
    And yes, we also have access to the HUB. I was on there earlier this evenin'.
    That is awesome. I have become slightly HUB addicted .
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Never heard of Mandragoa, The Club, or Looking for Alibrandi, but we did the rest.
    Australian books. The Club, and Looking For Alibrandi were made into movies. I didn't like Mandragora

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Club_%28film%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_For_Alibrandi
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Yep, that's how you have to do it. I've learned over the years how my mom deals with bad customer service...so I took a lesson out of her book tonight by threatening to use a service different provider, which I had no intention of actually doing, and voila, suddenly I became a "valued and loyal customer" whose issues were resolved right away.
    Yep, I've become very good at it for the most part. My Mom was a great mentor in that department.
    My kids actually ask how I would approach something when they have to do battle.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Missed a phone call from a lady at the zoo today, have to call her back tomorrow. Hoping to hear some sort of good news job or internship-wise.
    Sending good Karma your way!

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Nate and I discovered a coffee place around here with TONS of different kinds of coffee. I found the Hawaiian coconut and now there is no going back for me.

We also have a butter rum flavored one right now, which is also very good. And Nate likes to try the kinds from other countries- so far we have done Kenya and Columbia. He is set on getting a bag of Kona from the Poly in August.
    My kids are that way with the Tea Shop. They come home with all sorts of loose teas.