Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 362 of 1669 FirstFirst ... 2623123523603613623633643724124628621362 ... LastLast
Results 5,416 to 5,430 of 25024
Like Tree1186Likes
General Discussions Discuss The RT Thread Part V in the Community Center forums; So googling Muster Drill and International Law lead me to wikipedia which stated: "By international law, a passenger muster drill must be conducted by the ship within 24 hours of ...
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

re: The RT Thread Part V

So googling Muster Drill and International Law lead me to wikipedia which stated:
    "By international law, a passenger muster drill must be conducted by the ship within 24 hours of departure[2], but many cruise lines choose to conduct the drill before the ship departs port for the first time."

Not satisfied with wikipedia as my source, I followed their reference link and found this:
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mgn71.pdf

Section 5 contains Muster and Drills:
    "On any ship carrying passengers where the passengers are scheduled to be on board for more than 24 hours, a muster of the passengers must take place within 24 hours of their embarkation. Passengers must be given instruction in how to don their lifejackets and the action to take on hearing the general emergency alarm signal. "

So both DCL and RCCL, whom I have sailed, do this before ever leaving port, but it's not required to be done then per International Maritime Law. Interesting....and bravo to DCL and RCCL.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    It'll be interesting to hear the details as they come out. The latest on CNN is that they rescued survivors inside the ship.

I still don't get how they even left port without conducting the muster drill.

Not sure, CNN's online says the cruise "originated" on Jan 7, so guessing they pick up and put off at various ports, but I thought the safety drill was Day 1, priority 1. Maybe only for the original group, on the original sail date?
    I don't know, I will watch and read all of it though. DD would like to take a cruise, and i want to knwo the downside.

I can see us being the family that carries the life jackets around like fashion accessories. goobers, that's us.

Not an expert by any means in the industry that is Education, but I can't help but think there are better ways to address the problematic students who are misusing the restrooms. I can't stand it when everyone gets punished for the actions of a few.
    Me either, but maybe a better solution can be achieved.
    Not sure what their thinking was, but what person want's to handle their business in such an exposed fashion. grief. bet some parents get that fixed pretty quick and maybe the school could suspend the violators.

Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    Tim who?
    I know right? his lack of experience in the big leagues sure showed last night, as did the disdain the others on his team have for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It is now a swealtering 18 degrees now, up from the comfy 5 earlier this morning.
    Burr, burrr. Guess I won't fuss about our 50ish. Although to us, this is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by wallfan329 View Post
    Ugh. I had deciding. I wish I could have all of them.
    They were all really cute.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    So googling Muster Drill and International Law lead me to wikipedia which stated:
    "By international law, a passenger muster drill must be conducted by the ship within 24 hours of departure[2], but many cruise lines choose to conduct the drill before the ship departs port for the first time."

Not satisfied with wikipedia as my source, I followed their reference link and found this:
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mgn71.pdf

Section 5 contains Muster and Drills:
    "On any ship carrying passengers where the passengers are scheduled to be on board for more than 24 hours, a muster of the passengers must take place within 24 hours of their embarkation. Passengers must be given instruction in how to don their lifejackets and the action to take on hearing the general emergency alarm signal. "

So both DCL and RCCL, whom I have sailed, do this before ever leaving port, but it's not required to be done then per International Maritime Law. Interesting....and bravo to DCL and RCCL.
    Great research. one of the talking heads this morning said it can also depend on what they consider the embarkation date. If they go with origin date, of the initial or by individual embark dates when multiple parties "join" a cruise later in the sailing date.

this will be a confusing one, won't it?

I voted down all forms of group punishment. Sometimes I stood nearly alone but basic problem solving skills is not to punish the innocent. OSHA laws prohibit this for employees, this tells ya that it isn't a good idea to do this demorilizing thing to students. Idiots.
    Thanks then! I'm guessing they think herd mentality and peer pressure if enough to get the troublemakers to act right when they do this? It never worked in my experience but make the ones who did follow the rules bitter and reluctant to approach authority to solve future problems.

Canada has 6 time zones, who would have thunk.
    Well, in terms of strictly land size....Canada, Russia, and China are the largest countries right? So, it'd make sense. We have 6 too, I think, but that's thanks to AK and HI.

DD dehydrated a bag of mini marshmallows. Yum. I use to eat the marshmallows out of the Lucky Charms and leave behind the Oats.
    I used to wish for a box of all marshmallow Lucky Charms. It came true in college. I could barely eat it. I still don't know how it happened. Was it fluke or something General Mills was doing at the time?
    Amanda

Well, in terms of strictly land size....Canada, Russia, and China are the largest countries right? So, it'd make sense. We have 6 too, I think, but that's thanks to AK and HI.

Time changes on the mainland made for FUN when trying to work from Hawaii- 2 hours difference from LA in one season, 3 hours in the next. Good stuff, and it meant getting to work extra early during fare wars at the agency.

I used to wish for a box of all marshmallow Lucky Charms. It came true in college. I could barely eat it. I still don't know how it happened. Was it fluke or something General Mills was doing at the time?[/QUOTE]

Count Chocula marshmallows. MMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keasmom View Post
    Great research. one of the talking heads this morning said it can also depend on what they consider the embarkation date. If they go with origin date, of the initial or by individual embark dates when multiple parties "join" a cruise later in the sailing date.

this will be a confusing one, won't it?
    It would appear with this cruise line, ship, and itinerary they basically made a continuous loop around the Mediterranean port cities. People could embark and disembark at any port. So if people are constantly doing this, how would they conduct a Muster Drill?

I didn't realize any cruise line used this approach to cruising. I'm way more familiar with everyone embarking and disembarking at the same time.

Intersting...more and more details are coming to light as are the parallels to the RMS Titanic disaster that occurred almost 100 years ago.
    Amanda

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Drive by Hi!!! :-)

Hope you're having a great weekend!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Howdy gang!

Only had a noon-3 slacker shift at TDS today, so it was almost like a day of. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Drive by Hi!!! :-)

Hope you're having a great weekend!
    Howdy Jenn!
    Hope you are too!

Quote Originally Posted by Keasmom View Post
    How do you all stay up that late posting?
    Just wasn't yet ready to crash at the time. No matter how early I "go to bed" I wake up several times during the night, anyway. I awoke for the last time around 7:30 in the mornin' and just decided to stay up and get ready for my open-6 at the CC kiosk. All ready to go home at 6p for the day, I Got a call just before noon at the kiosk askin' me if I could close TDS last night' cause the scheduled manager had a family situation come up...so, of course, I said yes. But, I knew today would be breeze so it was no biggie.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

DD on bus on way back to school.

Mixed emotions. She just sent a text, they are at Ohare now waiting for someone to get on. Oy.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

That could cause a problem for guys using the urinals.

Sometimes administrators make the most ridiculous decisions that wind up making national news and embarrassing the entire district. Demonstrates how limited some administrators are in their problem solving skills. Fail to use the brains God gave them.

Bet the Board of Ed will be annoyed they have to listen to these complaints. I'd rather be discussing Educational issues not toilet doors.
    Idiots.
    Yes, knee-jerk reactions that piss off everyone are ALWAYS more prudent than takin' a deep breath and actually weighing more logical options.