Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 577 of 1669 FirstFirst ... 7747752756757557657757857958762767710771577 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,655 of 25024
Like Tree1186Likes
General Discussions Discuss The RT Thread Part V in the Community Center forums; Originally Posted by Keasmom no, but I am irritated that all of my suppliers in NOLA shut down for Mardi Gras. ALL of them, shut down for the day. One ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: The RT Thread Part V

Quote Originally Posted by Keasmom View Post
    no, but I am irritated that all of my suppliers in NOLA shut down for Mardi Gras. ALL of them, shut down for the day. One of them told me that even Walmart in NOLA closes for Mardi Gras.
    Uhh...some two. Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday. Tulane University goes on Mardi Gras Break both Monday and Tuesday, so they have been partying since Friday afternoon. The President made it very clear to us, the students do partake down there on average. They give you instructions on how to navigate the French Quarter, to put your liquor in a plastic cup when out in the streets, etc. When we went down there were certain Mardi Gras Trees on campus just completely coated in beads. The trees from the French Quarter to the Garden District where Tulane is located, were covered in Beads. We have friends that live down there. They often go to Disney for Mardi Gras. Basically if you aren't going to join in, time to get out of Dodge.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Of course you don't, you remember it after a Nun pounds it into your head.

It is part of fasting until Easter from Ash Wednesday. According to teachings, Christ fasted for 40 days (amount of days between Ash Wed. and Easter) prior to going into Public ministry. The fasting rules loosened over the century. Originally it was just bread at most, some places not even that. More modern times made them realize passing out people, not so good. Rules then went to include fish. Fish is how Christ fed the poor in the Bible. It was cheap and plentiful food in Biblical times. Wealthy folks Celebrated with food in Biblical times were tied to Goats, Lambs and cattle. Poor did not own land so they could not even hunt as the land belong to the Wealthy. Poor only received waste products that wealthy would not eat of warm blooded animals. The poor people ate fish. So in the Catholic mind, Christ fed the hungry Fish, so if Catholics were to "give up" food it would be the mammal meat and only eat fish.
    Basically walking in Christs shoes fasting during the lenten season.

And that concludes this session of Catholics as literacy course for today. And in no way meant to be offering up religion, just an explanation of the fish.
    Okay, that makes a fair amount of sense and is far more plausible than some explanations I have heard.

Thanks for that primier in Lent.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Angry Re: The RT Thread Part V

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Uhh...some two. Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday. Tulane University goes on Mardi Gras Break both Monday and Tuesday, so they have been partying since Friday afternoon. The President made it very clear to us, the students do partake down there on average. They give you instructions on how to navigate the French Quarter, to put your liquor in a plastic cup when out in the streets, etc. When we went down there were certain Mardi Gras Trees on campus just completely coated in beads. The trees from the French Quarter to the Garden District where Tulane is located, were covered in Beads. We have friends that live down there. They often go to Disney for Mardi Gras. Basically if you aren't going to join in, time to get out of Dodge.
    I think I fail to grasp a "religious" season with a kick off party that involves or includes copious amounts of liquor, beads for those willing to show their wares, and other debauchery. That is tongue in cheek-but still, HUH?? What about those of us conducting business that get 2 days with no parts, prices, supplies. ERRRRR!!!

Only half kidding on the last, I have alternate suppliers for those times.

One of mine was hit hard, hard by katrina. We had 2 checks out to them, and they never processed. So 3 months after the storm, I called and asked if they would mind if I reissued those two checks to them. They were thrilled that we had tracked it that long, and I made sure they got the checks, they are really good to me every time I call them. And no other business reissued their checks. thieves.

Our NOLA suppliers are all COD accounts because it is smaller stuff that should be paid as it arrives, PLUS, those suppliers only run charges for locals. So, it was highly offensive to me that after a hit like Katrina, they reopened and thousands and thousands of dollars in checks were never reissued for merchandise received by various shops around the southeast. But I have a strongly entrenched sense of fairness, not everyone sees it that way.

Ya, various cultures up here do more of the Pig Out thing on Fat Tuesday. Now in all honesty we Irish throw Lent under the bus for St. Patrick's Day. Many Catholic Dioceses here loosen the lent obligations on St. Patrick Day or at least turn a blind eye. The South Side Irish Parade is something else, our own little Mardi Gras. It has gotten so out of hand the last couple of years, it has been "gone" for the last two years.
    It is back this year. Promises to be more family orientated and the organizers have hired private guards to make sure. I'm thinking it will be the same as previous years. You can't control that many people.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Apollo Ohno (sp) is on Hawaii 5-0, he looks like he belongs there. Fabulous.

Last year, DH, DD and I were on a train heading into the City for the "other" St. Patrick's Day Parade.
    Now on weekends liquor isn't allowed on the trains into or out of Chicago. The people heading to the parade were so hammered already and drinking on the train. Conductors just said please deposit your empties in the garbage as you exit the train. We were heading into the City for the Flower and Garden Show at Navy Pier. We at least got to see the River dyed a pretty color of green than it normally is.

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

Apollo Ohno (sp) is on Hawaii 5-0, he looks like he belongs there. Fabulous.
    I love that man more then another man in the world but my daddy still beats him out. I have a huge poster of him in my room. He is amazing.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

That sounds like a "lovely party" in the making. St Patricks Day parades and parties look fun. And Raucous, but not nasty,

I remember seeing the river dyed green in the movie, "The Fugitive", bet it is more amazing in person.

I also recall, green beer at a local pub when I lived in Texas-that was their version of a St Patrick's celebration. Green Beer. Pass on that, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wallfan329 View Post
    I love that man more then another man in the world but my daddy still beats him out. I have a huge poster of him in my room. He is amazing.
    Well, he looks like a "local boy" in this episode and that means HOT!!!!!!. And his acting is good so far, accent is all wrong though. He hasn't mastered pidgin.

My DD's University is way up on the top of the list of Party Schools. St. Patrick's Day messes with
    Mid-Terms. So the Local bars came up with Unofficial. The students throw that section of town up for grabs, drunk students by early morning hours that Friday. Many disruptive classes. One fraternity last year ran through classrooms in gorilla masks. Thousands and Thousands of dollars are spent on Unofficial T-Shirts. It is the only time I am ever addressed by the University. All mail is addressed to DD. I have already received my letter from the Chancellor, addressed to the parents of DD warning me of potential arrests, hospitalizations and 2 deaths in previous years, asking that I address my kid about the dangers of UnOfficial. My DS always has gone up to her University for UnOfficial, as his University was only about 45 minutes from hers. They figure 10,000 additional students make the pilgrimage to my DD's University for Unofficial St. Patty's Day. Dorms are locked down and no students are allowed to have any visitors that weekend in the dorm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44qnqmsJCFw

This is pidgin, and what we spoke daily-it is the easiest way to communicate-once you master the art. Part 1 is top video, part two is bottom video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYLrV...eature=related

I remember seeing the river dyed green in the movie, "The Fugitive", bet it is more amazing in person.

I also recall, green beer at a local pub when I lived in Texas-that was their version of a St Patrick's celebration. Green Beer. Pass on that, of course.
    Ya, Green Beer is really big up here for St. Patrick's day. My DH always asks for non-green. Sometimes they add way too much green and you know the body doesn't always process dyes well.

The river is cool. It is generally so cold though you don't hang around an look at it. Plus the Chicago river is better than it use to be, but it is still disgusting.

So did you guys see the You Tube today of "a man repeatedly gets peppered sprayed at Disneyland."
    In front of TTT. Can't wait to hear the rest of this story. I wasn't as surprised at the man so much as how long it was without security arriving.