Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Need help/suggestions for May Trip in the Community Center forums; In late August my mom's twin sister died. Mom has been very upset- staying busy with things but really missing her sister which is understandable. So we decided in October ...
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Need help/suggestions for May Trip

In late August my mom's twin sister died. Mom has been very upset- staying busy with things but really missing her sister which is understandable. So we decided in October that my mom, my daughter and I would go see my brother in Orlando. I used my timeshare points and we could stay for 11 nights. Mom used some of her points to get us free flight with Southwest on the way there. We have to pay for the flight back but still very reasonable. Southwest doesn't fly from here so we will have to drive 2.5 hours but it will all be okay- free flight really keeps me okay with this.

So we will leave on Mother's Day to fly to Orlando. Now during this trip we will also be celebrating my birthday with a meal at Ohanas. Glad to have some friends who are going to be at WDW at the same time so we are going to meet up and celebrate!

Originally this was going to be a girls trip. But she decided to invite her husband. Well that really changes things. He doesn't like to do anything and he likes to complain about what things cost. Oh yes- Orlando is a great place for him to go (where is that sarcasm button!).

Yesterday I was talking to mom about it and she said she wants to go to Universal but not Disney. Well DD wants to do Universal and Disney- Like many day. Mom wants us to spend most of our time together.

Does anyone see a problem with this? What am I to do? How can I keep the DD happy, the mom happy, and the step dad from annoying me! He likes to sleep in and mom likes to get up and go. Another issue.

What was I thinking? I know I was thinking of having her have a trip to look forward to and a chance to see her son. But now I am not sure we will be able to do anything that we want to do. Other than my birthday that is.

I would love to hear what you all think.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Re: Need help/suggestions for May Trip

No easy answers. First, decide which parks, what days. Then pawn DD off on Mom for the Universal days, or, send her hubby with her while you and your DD have some Mom/daughter scheduled time.

Let him see the schedule of parks and times-before you go, so he can see activities are scheduled at certain times, and he can cooperate or not.

Have your own fun. Let go of any guilt about this-just plan some fun time for you, for you and your friends, for you and your DD, and don't feel bad or allow them to guilt you into doing a day you don't want to do. This is a group of grown ups, but one of them changed the original plans, so all bets are off.

Relax, have a good time, and manage to make a few great memories with your mom, with your daughter and with your friends.

Hardest life leson for me, was learning NOT to allow my dad to use guilt as a manipulation tool. That appears to be the one everyone struggles with, but as grown ups, no other grown up has a right to control the world thru guilt, and we, as women do not have to allow it.

So, let her (and him) know the schedule, but remind them THEY changed the plans, and do your thing. let the DD help some or not, and have a good time in spite of them.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I like those ideas.

flutter is offline Moderator

my idea was to leave them all home and take me instead

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    my idea was to leave them all home and take me instead
    Agreed.

Please remember yourself in all of this Gae! This is your trip too and your birthday. Make sure you get to do what you want on your birthday. I know you want to accommodate everyone, but please don't forget yourself.

Have you asked your mother why she feels the need to bring her husband on this girls only trip? I still don't understand this. This trip came across to me as a way for the females in your family to bond following the loss of your aunt. Furthermore, I don't even understand why he wants to come if all he likes to do is focus on the negatives. Way to rain on someone's parade!

As for Universal vs. WDW, visit both if you can. Figure out the cost of tickets Universal and WDW BEFORE you go. The reason we skipped Universal on our last trip is that I didn't do that, and then realized I wasn't paying for a 1 day pass for 2 adults.

I also agree with Chris' post.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...