Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Should the Kids go? in the Community Center forums; My husband just posed a question to me that I wanted to get your opinion on. I am intending on going to WDW in October for a much needed vacation. ...
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Should we go without the kids?

My husband just posed a question to me that I wanted to get your opinion on. I am intending on going to WDW in October for a much needed vacation. I had asked my DH to come with me because we have not gone anywhere for more than one night away from our children in over 12 years. I thought it would be nice to get away. My DH said he would go but has been "dragging" his feet a little because he doesn't want to leave the children at home. (The children will be well cared for and will actually get a little spoiled to tell the truth.)

So do you think that we should go away for 5 nights to spend some relaxation time together? He would also like to know why you think so.

Thanks for your true and honest opinions.

(No matter what, I am going-with or without him )
    Last edited by SnwhtNdwrfs; 06-17-2005 at 05:12 PM. Reason: stupid first title

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    Heck Yea! (Pardon my French )

If I could get away with it... I would go.
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Called it a 2nd honeymoon and leave the kids.

All couples need some together time and what better place then WDW. Besides...the kids could use some parent free time (it make them miss you more)!

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    magic moments are best spent with the ones you love and adore... so go alone woohoo!

j/k... if I had kids I couldn't imagine being there or wanting to without them.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    yes!
    They call me "Nana"

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs

So do you think that we should go away for 5 nights to spend some relaxation time together? He would also like to know why you think so.

YES!!!!!

DH and I do not have children, so I don't quite know from personal experience what it is like to leave them behind.

I do know couples need alone time. What better example for your children than seeing you two having and continuing to build a strong and loving marriage? A trip, even a weekend, can help you and DH reconnect/recharge/refresh and just focus on one another. Heck, we just got back and I feel like our marriage has been refreshed because of our WDW trip.

Your kids will be with family/friends? That's a great opportunity for them to form memories/bonds with grandparents and other relatives.

And if it's because it's a "Disney trip" that your DH is reluctant in leaving the kids behind, well that's just an excuse to plan a family trip for next year.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

My DH is very impressed with how quickly you all responded!

It has taken me two years for him to even think that he would go with me. We really need some "couple" time but he feels obligated to the kids. I do,too, but know that our marriage will be there after the kids if we take care of it through the years. I would love to take the kids also but just feel this trip needs to be for us.

My mom is watching 2 of the kids, a lady I work with will watch my oldest and we hope his parents will be healthy enough to watch the other child. We are planning on going during the week so everyone will have a break since school will be in session.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    I'm glad you'll be able to do that....

Because of our unique situation, we would never be able to do that, but I understand it is good for marriages....we are just grateful when we get a few hours together every few months...child care for MJ is a tough thing.....
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Goofygirl is offline Dream Team Wrap Party Alumni - 07,08,09 / Magic Meets Attendee 2005-2009
    Connecticut - 18 hours and 42 minutes away from MK
    Hum, this is tough. Yes, I think it would be great for the two of you to go away on your own. I remember our first time away from the kids was awesome. I can understand your DH's reluctance to do so since it is Disney after all and I don't think I could go to Disney without the kids, when they were young anyway. Now stitch will revolt if I even mention that I might go without her. I think it was easier for us cause we went to Virginia Beach.
    Janet

Gawrsh! Hyuk!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    If you have the children taken care of, then why shouldn't you both go???? It won't make you 'bad parents' or anything other than refreshed and maybe a little closer to broke because you bought too many guilt-induced souvenirs for the kids.

That said, though, if DH is truly uncomfortable leaving them for so long, how about a compromise? What if he came for 3 nights while you stayed for 5? That way, you'd get both the together-time and that much needed vacation-time.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I am old. I am an empty nester. Goofygirl can relate, so if you don't believe me, ask her. I have seen SO MANY marriages crumble after the kids are grown. It seems that all our energy goes into the kids, and when they are gone we find that the marriage relationship has dilapitated quite a bit. Too many people don't have the energy or the know-how to conduct the massive repairs needed to strengthen that foundation once more so they just give up. Now the secret to avoiding that is to renew, strengthen, and freshen that foundation on a regular basis throughout the marriage and not leave it until it is damaged beyond repair. You probably won't even see the damage because it happens slowly over time if it isn't maintained properly on a regular basis.

For transcripts of this sermon, please send a SASE to.......
    They call me "Nana"

Final Decision Made

Okay, DH and I are going by ourselves. All of the kids are taken care of and a backup is in place for them also.

I made the reservation changes today to add the sweetheart and got a pretty good deal since Disney was offering a Free Dining plan (that we had intended to get anyway). So we upgraded to Port Orleans-Riverside for the same price. Can't wait to spoil ourselves and buy Christmas presents for the younguns.

Now I am real excited about going and looking forward to our "second honeymoon" and a much needed vacation.

Plans are already being made for taking all the kids next time so they can enjoy the magic.........
    Thanks for your wonderful and helpful input.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I think you have made a wonderful decision. Now, go, have fun, NO GUILT ALLOWED!!! As a mother of three, I know how tough that one is, but enjoy yourself, you deserve it. You will return to your kids refreshed and you and your hubby will have some great memories to enjoy.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs
    My husband just posed a question to me that I wanted to get your opinion on. I am intending on going to WDW in October for a much needed vacation. I had asked my DH to come with me because we have not gone anywhere for more than one night away from our children in over 12 years. I thought it would be nice to get away. My DH said he would go but has been "dragging" his feet a little because he doesn't want to leave the children at home. (The children will be well cared for and will actually get a little spoiled to tell the truth.)

(No matter what, I am going-with or without him )
    Have a great time!!! Too bad you're not staying at PC, but maybe we'll still bump into one another.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 06-22-2005 at 03:34 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    When I read the title of this thread, I thought you were asking if the kids should go? As in go, be gone, off with you, For Sale signs around the neck.

Then I read the post and decided that YES you definately should go by yourself.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast