Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Walt Disney's airplane in the Community Center forums; Does anyone know what type of aircraft that is on the Backstage Tour at MGM? I saw the aft section of the plane from the stunt show and it perked ...
    rvastro is offline C-Ticket Holder

Walt Disney's airplane

Does anyone know what type of aircraft that is on the Backstage Tour at MGM? I saw the aft section of the plane from the stunt show and it perked my interest . I am guessing it might be a Fairchild Metroliner, but not too sure since I cannot remember the tail structure too clearly.
    Last edited by rvastro; 06-20-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Ahh, its a Grumman G-159 Gulfstream 1! From the back end it looked a bit like the Metro--needed to see the nose.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Yep it is a G-I.

Interesting side note. When Disney retired that airplane and decided to put it in MGM they needed a place to land it. They decided that the road leading into the parks was a good as any so that's what they did. They then used a crane to lift it into its current location.

Sad to see the G-I parked because you don't see too many flying anymore. Just too inefficient.

(BTW-I work for Piedmont Hawthorne Aviation - RDU. A business that caters to corporate aircraft. That's how I know so much about aviation.)
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Thanks a bunch! I only saw the aft section of the plane and it perked my interest. I hope to find a version of it on a flight sim site to download for FS2004.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    http://www.simviation.com/fs2002props9.htm

About half way down the page is a download for a VC-4, the Coast Guard version of the G-I. Unfortunately it is in USCG paint. You might be albe to make another skin for it though.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Thanks!! I will download it later this evening after I get off work.