Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Welcome back Southern Baptists!!! in the Community Center forums; Southern Baptists End Disney Boycott Wednesday June 22, 2:47 pm ET By Rose French, Associated Press Writer Southern Baptists End Eight-Year Disney Boycott Over Benefits to Gay Workers NASHVILLE, Tenn. ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Southern Baptists end boycott of Disney Corp.

Southern Baptists End Disney Boycott
    Wednesday June 22, 2:47 pm ET
    By Rose French, Associated Press Writer Southern Baptists End Eight-Year Disney Boycott Over Benefits to Gay Workers

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values" in a vote on the final day of the faith's annual convention Wednesday.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 06-22-2005 at 10:35 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Are you saying that Southern Baptists boycotted walt disney co. over benefits to gay workers???

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Yes they did.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    They most certainly did. Although I have some Southern Baptist friends who took thier kids to the Kingdom during the boycott.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I'm having a hard time understanding why.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Well, it was not to the gay CM themselves, but that they extended "spousal" benefits to the domestic partners...
    From a source on the internet (which looks pretty accurate):
    Qualified Domestic Partners:
    Is an unmarried adult of at least age 18,
    Has lived with you in an exclusive, emotionally committed relationship for the past 12 months,
    Is the same *** you are,
    Is mentally competent to commit to a contract,
    Is not a Disney employee eligible for a Disney-sponsored medical plan,
    Has shared financial obligations with you for the past 12 months,
    Is unrelated to you by blood, and
    Would be married to you if formal, legal marriage were possible.
    You must verify that your domestic partner is eligible by signing an affidavit and providing two documents that prove your financial interdependence. Both partners must also be at least age 18 and not legally married to anyone else. Coverage begins automatically upon approval of the domestic partner package.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    8 year ban? Hmm, I seem to recall the Southern Baptist Convention starting this in 1996, not 1997. And yes, I have known all sorts of Southern Baptists. Some thought the whole thing was absolutely ridiculous for many reasons and ignored the request to boycott, and still others supported the whole notion...well at least for a few years. Until their child's marching band was picked to be in the MK during Christmas break, then it was completely forgotten... But I'm not talking about anyone in particular.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

cjdiggs is offline C-Ticket Holder

Better things to worry about!

I just think with the way things are going in the world today, there are much more important things to talk about or bocott as it may be, than to boycott a company that gives the same rights of Gay CM as Straight CM. To me we have bigger fish to fry like the president of this country!!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I met someone while living in Texas that would not allow her kids to wear any Disney character merchandise due to her beliefs and she tried to convince me to do the same but when I asked her if she ever watched ABC television and she said yes ---well you do know that Disney owns that station?....shut her up real quick and she refused to talk to me again(kids attended same youth group)......lol....i agree with cj much more important things to get ulcers over.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    I have a best friend who is a Baptist and her dad is the one who really boycotts Disney. She wanted to buy POTC and he had trouble with that, she has never seen most Disney movies, and her dad said he would not come to our school play because it was Disney's Beauty and the Beast (I'm not sure if he came, I think he did, but she wasn't in it anyway because she broke her foot practicing a cartwheel for her part in "Be Our Guest" as a table (another talent she has) and ended up only singing offstage). She still says things bad about Disney and if I have solid ground to stand on I will defend Disney. I mentioned I wanted to see The Chronicles of Narnia and she said she wasn't sure if it would be good because Disney was doing it. I'm sure it has to be better than the BBC/PBS version. From the looks of the teaser trailer I think Disney will have done a great job with it.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    I AM a proud Baptist, and I think the whole thing is ridiculus .
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

rvastro is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Never paid any attention to the boycott. I go to an SBC church but I also think independently of what the Convention states. Thought it was a silly idea when they voted to do the boycott.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I thought the boycott was based on the ownership of Mirmax so this thread was very educational. I had several good friends who were Southern Baptist who refused this boycott because Disney was better family orientated than anything else that was out there. There are thrilled that this is behind them and they don't have to be "closet" disney fans anymore.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Welcome back to the magical world of all things Disney to our friends of the SB faith. Mickey and the gang have missed you.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!