Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Is Goofy Human? Of course! in the Community Center forums; ood-natured but not that bright, this cartoon character made his first appearance, somewhat disguised, as a member of the audience in "Mickey's Revue" (1932). What distinguished the character from those ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Is Goofy Human? Of course!

ood-natured but not that bright, this cartoon character made his first appearance, somewhat disguised, as a member of the audience in "Mickey's Revue" (1932). What distinguished the character from those sitting around him was not so much his appearance but his raucous laugh. That laugh, supplied by Disney storyman, musician, and former circus clown Pinto Colvig, made such an impression on Walt Disney and his staff that the character soon began to be featured in other cartoons. Before long, Goofy was part of the gang that included Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Clarabelle Cow, and Horace Horsecollar. In the newspaper comic strips, this new character was first given the name Dippy Dawg. A 1938 book indicated the first change to Dippy's name, "The Story of Dippy the Goof," and by 1939 the final change was made to Goofy with the release of the cartoon "Goofy and Wilbur."

Goofy was created as a human character, as opposed to Pluto, who was a pet, so he walked upright and had a speaking voice (first supplied by Colvig, and later by George Johnson, Bob Jackman, and Bill Farmer). There were 48 Goofy cartoons (primarily in the 1940s and 1950s), but he also appeared in many cartoons with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. He was best known for his series of "How to" cartoons, where he bumbled through the explanations. In the 1950s, he appeared in several cartoons as Mr. Geef, with a wife and son. The 1990s television series "The Goof Troop" reintroduced Goofy and son, but by this time the son was Max, quite different from his earlier incarnation, and the wife was no longer on the scene. Favorite sayings: "Gawrsh!" "Well, whaddya know ..." "A-hyuck!" "Huh?"

First appearance of the character who would later become Goofy: here he is a member of the audience cheering on Mickey's musical comedy. The show is brought to an abrupt end when Pluto creates havoc by chasing cats on stage.

Directed by Wilfred Jackson.

Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 07-14-2005 at 02:28 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Thanks for the great bit of info on our pal Goofy!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I love Goofy. He's huge! He could beat up dad!
    They call me "Nana"

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    my brother has a framed poster print of "Goofy and Wilbur" hanging in his room. we have just about the entire series of "how to" on tape and ok, i love A Goofy Movie!
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    Didn't Primus make a song about him being a race car driver or something?

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    I want to see a movie about the Goof that is Max's mom!
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

the 2nd Goofy movie, An Extremely Goofy Movie has goofy dating the college's librarian so i think you might be out of luck w/ max's mom making an apperance.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Never saw that one, I'm not really into the whole X-treme sports thing. . . . is it as good as the first Goofy movie?
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

hmmmm....it's cute, not as good at the first one though...this one is max in college w/ his friends p.j. and bobby skateboarding...goofy goes back to college and there meets the librarian...laughter and mishaps ensues...
    Erica