Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 388 of 543 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390398438488 ... LastLast
Results 5,806 to 5,820 of 8132
Like Tree4891Likes
General Discussions Discuss Thoughts of Randomness VI in the Community Center forums; Well when you are in charge of the Board you are in charge of the Chief right?...
    froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Thoughts of Randomness VI

Well when you are in charge of the Board you are in charge of the Chief right?
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

So I just got back from EPCOT, and that was the last day of my trip, which is pretty sad... On a happier note, on this trip, I've made up my mind that I'd like to work at WDW someday when I'm a little older. Because being able to work at the happiest place on earth everyday sounds pretty good, no matter how much money I make at the start.
    Last edited by nicholas; 10-12-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    HauntedGabe and wallfan329 like this.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by froland_04-08 View Post
    We are still sticking to the DLR plan for our honeymoon though, and neither of us wants to drive across country lol
    Ugh. I remember when Thumper, boyfriend and family did that. Oy. Not me. I have not driven to WDW since the late '70s.

I'm not a fan of road trips. Plus my DH is paid hourly and gets his 4 weeks of vacation in one lump sum each year. If we took 2 days down and 2 back, hotel and gas, it has been cheaper to fly than take 4 more days off work.

But I'm still not giving up on you guys in WDW for honeymoon
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    Policy. Our Fire Chief has lost his mind! Now he's mad at me for protecting our guys, upholding state law, and not letting him just do what he wants. Oh well, the guys are happy with me and I slept great last night! Good outcome!
    Yeah we have that problem here too. The bizarre items they want to tack onto our Deputies to the Sheriff Dept.

Nobody messes with our Fire Dept., they work well together from the inspectors, commissioners and board along with the Deputy Chief and all of our Firemedics. Not long ago they asked for a tax raise for better equipment, we gave it to them hands down like 85% yes. Nobody else, they don't wine, gossip, create any problems. We all love them. Now our Fire Chief and the one before him not so much but he keeps his mouth shut most of the time. For some reason they don't promote the Deputy Chiefs, they go outside to look for Chiefs. Unfortunate 'cause they don't have a handle on our personnel or the community support. Now they are going to need a small additional building on the other side of the track that divides our town now that the Canadians own it. We only have 3 cross overs and their freights tend to block all three. Dept. is patiently waiting for the economy to get better before they leap into funding that. For the most part they don't need more equipment or personnel, we are only 5 square miles, they just need an additional small FireHouse and the stuff that goes with it.

Being on the school board I so much preferred policy hearings over personnel hearings. Bluck.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    This Board Chairman thing is more stress than I need sometimes!
    I've never been Chairman or President. No desire. Do you tie break or are you part of the majority?

That isn't how it works here in Illinois. Employees can't be in charge of their superiors. My board and I are public elected officials. We are in Charge of Policy, ultimate deciders of personnel, we hire/fire Superintendents and must approve all hires of administrators along with vote on all professional and support staff.

We do have commissions and advisory boards that bring their recommendations to the board. Some times it is hard not to burst into laughter over what some advisory boards bring to us.

My DD is taking a course this semester online with a tenured professor (old too.) It is about ethics and basically how to conduct yourself in your chosen career. DD said the material is useful, the Professor anything but. They have one lesson to complete online each week. Students are eeking closer to Mid-Terms. Add Drop ends this Friday.

Now here is my argument for flushing tenure down the toilet. Professor rules, you can only contact her by
    e-mail and then only on Wed., and Friday between 4pm and 6pm. If your email hits her inbox at any other time other than those two windows she will not open them and will delete the emails. (strike one) Teacher sets up homework for each week online. Sets it up incorrectly so students cannot access or submit. (strike two) Prof 2 weeks ago had yet to grade any of their assignments so students have no idea what the heck she is looking for even though class started Mid-August. She stated in an email that over the weekend she would grade. Didn't happen. New email do to 'unforeseen circumstances assignments were not graded. But would get to them as soon as possible (strike three).

Now two weeks later, no assignment has been graded yet. Add Drop looming by Friday. So my DD sends a carefully worded email to the professor in her Friday 4pm to 6pm time allotment (have to be gentle, prof has all your assignments and zip grades yet) that Add Drop date is Friday. Professor replies very timely. No grades will be forth coming anytime soon. No more, no less.

WT* At $15,000.00 a semester? Now the dear daughter is ticked. Pondering the Department Chair or straight to the Dean with copies of all the restrictions, emails and replies in tow. First request is going to be an extension of ADD DROP window, which is possible, policy for that. Second a new instructor to take over the class since this one has too many unforeseen circumstances to be teaching. Best part if that happens they will pull the professors salary for that class if they pull the professor.
    Evilduckqueen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    So I just got back from EPCOT, and that was the last day of my trip, which is pretty sad... On a happier note, on this trip, I've made up my mind that I'd like to work at WDW someday when I'm a little older. Because being able to work at the happiest place on earth everyday sounds pretty good, no matter how much money I make at the start.
    Go for it! The college program is a great way to see if it is for you or not. You get paid crummy but you get housing and utilities including wireless internet. (no router though or TV) It is a non commital way to see if you could do it day in and day out.

Aside from being sent to the afternoon parade for a few months, my son has never worked in a park or resort, so he still enjoys them and isn't jaded. He has been very fortunate to be given the roles he has be placed in.
    nicholas likes this.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

It was 92 degrees here today.
    It's still 76 right now.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My DD is taking a course this semester online with a tenured professor (old too.) It is about ethics and basically how to conduct yourself in your chosen career. DD said the material is useful, the Professor anything but. They have one lesson to complete online each week. Students are eeking closer to Mid-Terms. Add Drop ends this Friday.

Now here is my argument for flushing tenure down the toilet. Professor rules, you can only contact her by
    e-mail and then only on Wed., and Friday between 4pm and 6pm. If your email hits her inbox at any other time other than those two windows she will not open them and will delete the emails. (strike one) Teacher sets up homework for each week online. Sets it up incorrectly so students cannot access or submit. (strike two) Prof 2 weeks ago had yet to grade any of their assignments so students have no idea what the heck she is looking for even though class started Mid-August. She stated in an email that over the weekend she would grade. Didn't happen. New email do to 'unforeseen circumstances assignments were not graded. But would get to them as soon as possible (strike three).

Now two weeks later, no assignment has been graded yet. Add Drop looming by Friday. So my DD sends a carefully worded email to the professor in her Friday 4pm to 6pm time allotment (have to be gentle, prof has all your assignments and zip grades yet) that Add Drop date is Friday. Professor replies very timely. No grades will be forth coming anytime soon. No more, no less.

WT* At $15,000.00 a semester? Now the dear daughter is ticked. Pondering the Department Chair or straight to the Dean with copies of all the restrictions, emails and replies in tow. First request is going to be an extension of ADD DROP window, which is possible, policy for that. Second a new instructor to take over the class since this one has too many unforeseen circumstances to be teaching. Best part if that happens they will pull the professors salary for that class if they pull the professor.
    Very familiar with the original intent and reasons for the institution of tenure. But, IMHO, for far too long it has done nothing more than breed arrogance and laziness and all the other carp that goes along with those two things.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

To God's Ears. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    It was 92 degrees here today.
    It's still 76 right now.

And for the first time of the season.........

ba dump dump chshshshshshshsh

STIFLE!!!!

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

No not really, we make sure the Administration adheres to the state laws regarding Civil Service employment. Our board makes recommendations to the Mayor and City Council, has hearings on disciplinary actions, promotes, and demotes employees, etc.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Today seems to be a good day to share this story.....

And this wasn't the thread I meant to paste this post in, I was heading for GAC....

http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/walt-...orld-wdw-news/ it will land there after Brian approves again, she says sheepishly.

wanta bet it will get sent to you again Brian? (and it did. ooops)
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 10-13-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Have two posts that went to moderation. I must be a bad bad girl.